Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2015, 11:51 AM   #1

Extend a stay???

Called by several names like stay awhile, extend a stay, ect... but are mostly all the same. My question is when you get it plumbed in and after you attach the external propane bottle line, do you remove the line from the T and cap the connection port each time. Or do you leave the line hooked up and stow it for travel attached after removing the tank.

Just Another Old Doggy, Don
OldDoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2015, 12:22 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Remove the line and cap. Check for leaks with soapy water. When I tried leaving the line attached and the onboard tank's valve open, it leaked from the fitting that goes to the external tank... without incoming pressure, the fitting leaks. It's not much effort to attach the line when you need it.
caheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 12:31 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by caheath View Post
.without incoming pressure, the fitting leaks. It's not much effort to attach the line when you need it.
It's just a fitting, no check valve there to prevent leaks. Must cap if not being used.
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 02:32 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you are talking about the fitting going to an external cylinder there is a push to open valve in the end of the hose that is supposed to stop any flow from the on board tank when unscrewed from the cylinder. I had one that developed a leak in a year or so, the second one lasted for several years. Since I only used an external cylinder when stopped for a while I unscrewed and capped the connection when in transit.
When we were stopped for a while and using the external cylinder I left the hose screwed in while I took the external cylinder to be filled.

The fitting hose going to an external appliance like a grill also has a valve that is closed when the grill is removed but I always removed it while in transit too.
Old 04-18-2015, 03:23 AM   #5

Thanks for the info

Sounds like it is a good idea to remove the hose and cap for travel. Thank you for the replies. That is what makes this a great forum!

My other question about using the extra tank is. Have any of the RV parks you been in restrict the use of this, or prohibit it??

OldDoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 04:38 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDoggy View Post
Sounds like it is a good idea to remove the hose and cap for travel. Thank you for the replies. That is what makes this a great forum!

My other question about using the extra tank is. Have any of the RV parks you been in restrict the use of this, or prohibit it??

Assuming you are talking about a standard 20lb. refillable tank, I have never seen any restriction regarding the tank. However, the attached cooking/heating device may have a restriction (sometimes in fire prone areas).
Old 04-18-2015, 06:55 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have an 05 National RV Dolphin and when I run out of propane while camping I just remove the regulator and line from the tank and screw it into a 20# tank. The fitting is the same as the on board tank.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 07:56 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I removed mine after the Schrader valve started leaking, was only a year old. I removed the unit for now. I tried to remove the Schrader valve but a normal length tool for removing the valve won't work. Going to see if I can find a tool that is longer.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 11:25 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
In 11 years of full timing I only came across one RV park that didn't allow it - RV Ranch in Clifton CO. When I asked them why they didn't allow it they said they did but the new owners hadn't reprinted the rule handout. It had been a KOA before.
Old 04-19-2015, 11:40 AM   #10

A couple of questions about this device:

Does it allow you to select which tank is in use, or does it just gang them together?

Does it support a connection to an external device such as a barbecue, or do you need additional hardware?

I was in a CG in CA that did not allow portable tanks for MH's, only trailers and 5th wheels. No, they did not know either. My guess is cosmetics.
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 01:31 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You open the valve on the tank you want to use.
Some tees have an outlet for an external tank and another for an external appliance like a grill. The ones with both cost a little more usually.
The one from Mr Heater is called a Stay a While Deluxe. I don't know what the terminology for the Sturgi,Marshal Brass Extend a Stay, or the Camco is.
Old 04-19-2015, 01:36 PM   #12

I installed a gas valve between the extend-a-stay and the hose. That way I can leave my hose always hooked up, and can hook up a small gas bottle quickly if needed.
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 01:52 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveVolt View Post
A couple of questions about this device:

Does it allow you to select which tank is in use, or does it just gang them together?

Does it support a connection to an external device such as a barbecue, or do you need additional hardware?

I was in a CG in CA that did not allow portable tanks for MH's, only trailers and 5th wheels. No, they did not know either. My guess is cosmetics.
You can feed from the main tank or the portable cylinder depending on which valve you open. You can also leave both valves open, but then that would cancel out the benefit of the Extend A Stay. The tank or cylinder with the largest surface area and highest pressure would feed the coach first.
The one I ordered came with a 5' and 12' hose. The body has two ports, one for connecting a portable cylinder and the other for connection to a BBQ or whatever you may have as long as it has it's own regulator. The 5' hose is for connecting to a portable cylinder. The 12' for connecting to the BBQ regulator. It is designed to be installed between the main tank and the regulator on the coach.

Amazon.com: Camco 59123 Propane Brass Tee with 4 Port with 5' and 12' Hose: Automotive
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 07:02 PM   #14

Somewhere I read about an extend-a-stay fitting that you could remove the output fitting and attach it directly to regulator. This would effectively shorten it by 1 1/2 inches.

Can anyone point me to that post or the extend-a-stay fitting that it was referencing. I have searched with no success.

Thanks, Francis
canyon453 is offline   Reply With Quote