Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2018, 12:51 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to TXwannabe
Extend A Stay?

We will be staying in Fredericksburg, TX this winter & have learned that locally, the propane companies do NOT deliver to motorhomes in the local RV parks, allegedly due to "insurance reasons." First time we have faced this in almost 3 years of FT'ing.
As I am not interested in buttoning up the MH every few weeks, just to drive to a propane dealer, I inquired of the 2 local dealers how others handle this issue. I was told to go online, buy an Extend a Stay kit, and it would allow me to add a tank to my propane system.
My questions are: how big a tank can you use with one of these extend a stay kits, and am I correct in assuming that in a set up like they propose, that once my ASME onboard tank is empty, the addition of an external tank will not do anything to refill the onboard tank?

Thanks for any insight!
TXwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2018, 12:56 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXwannabe View Post

We will be staying in Fredericksburg, TX this winter & have learned that locally, the propane companies do NOT deliver to motorhomes in the local RV parks, allegedly due to "insurance reasons." First time we have faced this in almost 3 years of FT'ing.
As I am not interested in buttoning up the MH every few weeks, just to drive to a propane dealer, I inquired of the 2 local dealers how others handle this issue. I was told to go online, buy an Extend a Stay kit, and it would allow me to add a tank to my propane system.
My questions are: how big a tank can you use with one of these extend a stay kits, and am I correct in assuming that in a set up like they propose, that once my ASME onboard tank is empty, the addition of an external tank will not do anything to refill the onboard tank?

Thanks for any insight!
Any size you want from 20 lb up. I used one in Texas a few years ago but have since sold the motorhome. I believe there is more data online aboit the kit.
Jlferg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 01:19 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
You need to take into account how large a tank you can physically handle. A 25 gallon tank is all I can handle with help into and out of my pickup. The weight is about 170 lbs. full. If I remember correctly the bottle weighs about 70 lbs and the propane weight is 100 lbs. and the avaliable amount of propane is about 22.5 gallons. Bottle can only be filled to 80%.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:22 PM   #4

Extend a stay kit allows you to use a portable propane cylinder OR your on-board tank

The adapter is installed after service valve and before Regulator.
Open tank service valve ...Adapter closed to portable and use tank as normal
Close Tank service valve/...Adapter open to portable and use it.
Easier to go have a portable cylinder filled then moving MH

20lb and larger capacity.....up to 100# cylinder except 100# is tough to wrestle with especially if you don't have a truck with bed.
20#---40# easier to transport

https://www.amazon.com/Stanbroil-Pro...rv+propane+kit
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 01:31 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I use a 30lb tank off my old 5er. Works well and easy to handle. When we start using heat I hook up the 30lb tank and use it till it runs out then use the MH tank while I am gone to fill it up.

Terry
96Bounder1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 01:39 PM   #6

Quote:

Thanks for any insight!
I think you were missing the fact that you will be taking the external tank to be refilled. Do not use your on board tank at all. Leave it full and only draw from the external refillable tank.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 02:57 PM   #7

I assume you are from up north somewhere, It does not usually get all that cold in Fredericksburg, though it can get into the teens particularly at night a few times per year, it is not uncommon to have daytime highs in the 50's and 60's even in January, perhaps even into the 70's. Meaning you might consider getting a small electric cube heater to provide heat in the coach most nights, use the propane only on the coldest nights, and for cooking. Doing this your onboard propane supply could very well last you 4-6 weeks, it is not a bad idea to drive the coach once every 4-6 weeks to make sure everything stays in roadworthy shape, so just disconnect and drive over to get the propane filled. I spent a few nights in Fredicksburg last spring, at the Lady Bird Johnson public campground, while there I saw there was a propane dealer nearby that looked like it would be very easy to get in and out of, Hill Country Propane on Hwy 16, I would have used them had I not just topped off my propane tanks 3 or 4 days earlier. It probably would not be any more hassle than dealing with 20 pound tanks every few days.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 03:49 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Am I correct in assuming that in a set up like they propose, that once my ASME onboard tank is empty, the addition of an external tank will not do anything to refill the onboard tank?
No one answered this part of your question, so I will. You are correct that the external tank will not refill your on board tank. The external will provide vapor only unless you turn it upside down, which would be very difficult.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 05:06 PM   #9

The extend-a-stay is definitely a nice addition. I had one on our '04. I removed it prior to selling it and installed it on our new one. They are extremely nice to have when you are staying long term. I don't like to pull up camp to just fill the tank. I am also not one that thinks it is essential that the unit be moved every month or so. I have always had a car that I only drive in the summer. It is stored 4-5 months a year. No detrimental effects because of it.

Last winter we were in Gulf Shores AL for a few weeks in January. Most will remember that it was a very cold January. We had an electric heater but we also used our propane furnace quite a bit. I refilled the 20 lb tank twice and it was sure nice to just take the tank and not the motorhome. Each time I was getting the tank filled, there were motorhomes there waiting. What a pain.

Another nice benefit is if you get the right one, there is another hook-up for a propane appliance like a grill. I take our portable Coleman with us and hook it up via the Extend-a-Stay.

And yes, you don't even use your on-board tank. Leave that valve closed and just use the portable tank.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:19 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
This is good to know stuff. We’ve only been familiar with areas wherein propane companies will rent larger sized tanks (Ive seen at least two standard looking sizes but don’t know how many pounds). They set them up, as they’re not something you or I could lift. They come fill them on your site. As someone mentioned though, that’s in the Northern part of the U.S. and Canada so it’s good to know that’s not standard everywhere.
Old 08-18-2018, 06:42 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to TXwannabe

Thanks, all, for sharing good info!
TXwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 12:09 AM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I wintered last year and used the extend-a-stay with two 20# cylinders. I had the main tank filled before pulling in and shut it off. I kept a gauge on the 20# cylinder in use and checked regularly.

My worst week was a near zero degree week I went through a tank in four days. Most weeks I used a tank a week.

Fridge, heat, hot water and cooking.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:03 AM   #13

I carried two 20 pound (5 gallon) propane tanks. That way I could always keep one full. When one ran out or got low I would switch tanks. There was no hurry in getting a refill for the empty tank.

As others have said portable tanks will not fill the tank on your RV. I would turn off my RV tank and save my onboard propane for traveling.
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 11:28 AM   #14

We stayed at Lady Bird Municipal last Christmas. Just below freezing a couple of nights.

Ran propane furnace at night and usually just the "fireplace" on shore power during mornings. Came in and left on the 30# bottle I had been using since before Thanksgiving camping.

Griz
IBDAGRIZ is offline   Reply With Quote