Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2013, 07:51 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Extend-A-Stay vs. Bottle for Weber Q Grill

I have a Weber Q120 grill and up until now I have used the 1 pound disposable bottles for fuel. I'm tired of running out of gas during the middle of grilling. I have seen people in motorhomes with small and standard size propane tanks connected to their grill and have read about Extend-A-Stay type connections on the high pressure side of the regulator. There appears to be pros and cons to each.

I apparently have an Extend-A-Stay T-fitting on my tank, so I could add a hose either permanently or temporarily and run under the coach to the grill. Solution A. For solution B, I could get a standard propane bottle and the appropriate hose, providing more portability - BUT, I would have to store the propane tank in the basement. Since this is an enclosed area, I'm concerned about the possibility of having an undetected leak causing a big boom.

So I'd like your opinions. Do you feel comfortable with a properly secured (so it won't turn on its side) standard sized propane canister in the basement? Or would you just get a hose and connect to the existing fitting and plug in each time I grill. It's too late before I leave to get a permanent hard piping installation.

Thanks,
Ken

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2013, 07:55 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
JMO, plug in each time save the hassle!

Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:14 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a regular propane tank for my grill stored in the basement and have never had a problem. I like the portability especially for tailgating.
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
JRMEDPHYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:33 PM   #4

For my Q100 I carry a 20lb tank in a plastic milkcrate strapped to the basement support so it can't move, works perfectly. When I shut off and store the tank I squirt the fittings with a little soapy water to check for leaks before closing up. Never had a leak or issue yet, no more dangerous than using the onboard tank imo.
Razzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:10 PM   #5

Extend a stay works great on my weber
Old 04-23-2013, 11:00 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Looks like a clean 50-50 split! Thanks for the feedback.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:59 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Extend-a-flow adapter and hose

I use the Extend-a-Flow connection to the RV tank to supply propane to my grill and later to my Fire Dancer propane fire pit. My son-in-law cooking some steaks on the grill hooked to the RV tank which is in the compartment behind my wife. Son-in-law does not camp dressed like this usually. He came by the camp site right from work. Fire Dancer hooked to the RV tank, when I first got, it trying it out in the driveway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cookin steaks 2.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	37461   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fire Dancer Fire pit.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	37462  

Old 04-24-2013, 02:11 PM   #8

We have a Q220. I'd heard some stories about the motorhome's regulator being unable to regulate precisely enough for the relatively low flow rate of the grill. I bought a 10-lb "squatty" propane tank that has the same base ring as the 20-pounder. I then got a base-stabilizer ring from Camping World and bolted it to the floor of a cargo bay. I only get the bottle filled about half way, so it's not too heavy for the ring to hold while we're driving.

It's worked out great so far - just abut to begin our second season with the set-up.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:37 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
We have a Q220. I'd heard some stories about the motorhome's regulator being unable to regulate precisely enough for the relatively low flow rate of the grill. I bought a 10-lb "squatty" propane tank that has the same base ring as the 20-pounder. I then got a base-stabilizer ring from Camping World and bolted it to the floor of a cargo bay. I only get the bottle filled about half way, so it's not too heavy for the ring to hold while we're driving.

It's worked out great so far - just abut to begin our second season with the set-up.
The extend-a-stay is installed prior to the regulator. (on the high pressure side). That's exactly what the Weber Q requires. The Q is NOT a low pressure grill.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:38 PM   #10

I'm waiting to use the 3 small bottles and then I will install the connection. I don't have the room to carry a larger bottle so I'm will be putting on the connection and a removable hose.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:51 PM   #11

I have two 4.5 lb (1 gallon) tanks. One always on standby, never run out.

Small, portable to anywhere in camp, picnics, tailgaiting. Not limited to the length of a hose from the rig.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1973643414.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	37498

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:07 PM   #12

I use a 20lb tank sitting in a plastic "carrier/caddy" that Lowes sells for around $10 ... it has a wide base and holes for bungees ... never tips and it's also for the car when getting tank filled. Tank is in a compartment with a "cord port" in bottom so bottom of compartment is not really enclosed. Works fine ... can take everything home or tailgate.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:23 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
So many options, with pros and cons to them all. Virtual "unlimited" supply of propane vs. portability. I'm tending toward the hose connected to the high pressure side of the tank, with enough length to reach underneath the coach and then some working length. I don't tailgate and only infrequently take the grill away from the coach. For that I can continue to use the 1# canisters. Thanks for taking the time to comment. Safe travels.

Ken
Old 04-24-2013, 04:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcolivier View Post
So many options, with pros and cons to them all. Virtual "unlimited" supply of propane vs. portability. I'm tending toward the hose connected to the high pressure side of the tank, with enough length to reach underneath the coach and then some working length. I don't tailgate and only infrequently take the grill away from the coach. For that I can continue to use the 1# canisters. Thanks for taking the time to comment. Safe travels.

Ken
In your case, if you already have an Extend-A-Stay, that would be most cost effective. If not, the portable (including a new 20lb tank) is cheaper.