Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2012, 04:45 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Extended layover in RV park

Hello everyone, I have a question about extended stays at an rv park.
We always had TT's and a gas class C. Recently we bought a 1997 Beaver Monterey motor coach 36' with the CAT 3126B engine. There was no maintenance records so we replaced all the batteries and had the oil and filters changed and a lube job done along with a full service check of the chasis. Then had the HD leveling system serviced and all the solinode's relpaced. The coach only has 58K on it and we wanted a satified mind before we took off in it ( we are full time RVr's ) left Glendale, AZ and drove up to Parker AZ to spend some time on the river before going to Idaho. Getting to Parker towing a Jeep Wrangler no problems droped out of 6th one time, and the MAG unit showed we got 9.7 mpg.. So my question is while parked for about 2 months do I have to do anything like start the diesel every once in awhile and let it get up to temp? I have seen some coaches sitting for months and then the owner just start up and drive away.
Thank you for any replies..

Garry
garrydt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2012, 04:56 PM   #2

Most old timers with diesel experience told me that, 'No', you don't need to start and run much when it's parked. What they also said is that it's bad for the engine to start it, let it run, and shut it down. You are encouraged either let it sit and never start it or to drive at least until the engine is up to temp...which also gets the tranni up to temp.

Personally, I've let it sit for 10 months at a time and it starts right up. But I also put in a fuel stabilizer and anti-fungal for a long stop over.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:04 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you for the reply,I will get some fuel stabilizer and anti-fungal.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:10 PM   #4

You could just fill the tank before parking too. For a short stay of 2 months, stabilizer probably not needed.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:12 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the info
Old 06-05-2012, 09:59 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
My diesel if a 1993 B5.9 Cummins and it has no electronics and no emissions requirements like the newer diesel engines. I use a synthetic oil (Amsoil Diesel/Marine 15/40) that has rust inhibitors in it. Have read that diesels do not want to be started unless you are ready to run. Hope that helps.

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:11 AM   #7

Your tires will hate you a lot more than the engine, sitting.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:53 AM   #8

One reason it's bad to let a diesel idle is that it will never get up to operating temperature. They have to be under load to reach operating temp.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:04 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I put stabil in and run the generator to get the stabilized fuel in those lines when I sit for that long. Some places I stay frown on running the generator.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:41 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
For that short of a period, I would only remember to run the generator with the AC running on your next road trip. That exercises the power generation system.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote