Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2015, 10:24 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Extended motorhome warranty

Has anyone had experience with new motorhome warranties? I am buying a new Tiffin motorhome and the pricing for a five year warranty is over $6,000 for 60 month warranty. I am wondering at this price if it is worth it. We will only be utilizing this for summer camping use and not living in it full time. I am thinking for me it is not worth the price, but would like to hear anyone elses thoughts. Thank you.
Hal3848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2015, 10:44 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Extended motorhome warranty

Good luck!
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 11:01 AM   #3

In my opinion, extended warranties are money makers for who ever is offering them. Otherwise they wouldn't stay in business long. That being said, they are priced so the majority of people will pay more than the company pays out.

I normally don't pay out for a extended warranty on anything especially if something is new because the base warranty will cover the needs to get the bugs worked out of the item. The extended warranty usually covers the period where very little goes wrong. There are exceptions for sure. So if you will loose sleep over not being covered then it is in your best interest to pay the money.

Now that is my personal 2 cents worth on the subject. Others will have opposing views.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 12:05 PM   #4

Having just had a bad experience with Cornerstone RV Extended warranty on a contract I paid around $5000 for, would agree that you would be better off to save the $6000 and use it for expenses. You may want to read the Cornerstone RV Warranty thread posted on this forum yesterday but would definitely not do it with them. We also purchased a new motorhome and the manufacturers warranties took care of the initial issues we had and only used the extended warranty once so far so for us has not been a good deal.
Old 09-18-2015, 02:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertj1979 View Post
Having just had a bad experience with Cornerstone RV Extended warranty on a contract I paid around $5000 for, would agree that you would be better off to save the $6000 and use it for expenses. You may want to read the Cornerstone RV Warranty thread posted on this forum yesterday but would definitely not do it with them. We also purchased a new motorhome and the manufacturers warranties took care of the initial issues we had and only used the extended warranty once so far so for us has not been a good deal.
+1
Go put the $6000 in a bank account labeled "motorhome repairs" and be better off. You will meet a lot of folks around the campfire who will say that the EW paid for itself the first year. If that were so, the EW companies would have gone out of business long ago. It is an RVer "fish story".

EW companies bet that you will not get your $6000 in repairs - that's how they make money, and they win the bet more than they lose.

I never purchase extended warranties, but that is just me. If you will feel less anxious buying one, go ahead. It just seems to me to be a very expensive anti-anxiety pill.
Old 09-18-2015, 02:11 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We didn't get the paperwork to buy one before the engine failed. Would have cost us about $8,000 for a four year contract. Had we been able to buy it in time it might have paid part of the $33,000+ engine repair bill (although we only paid $22,000+ as Cummins did kick in $10,400)
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:06 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Our RV repair man jokingly said "when the extended warranty claims bumper to bumper coverage, they mean they cover the front bumper and the back bumper, nothing in between" lol.
Suzque49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 03:29 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I purchased an extended warranty (Protective) on my motorhome. So far the warranty has paid for itself and then some.

Having said that, I think it depends on what options you have and whether or not you are able to write a big check for repairs if you need to. Scroll through this forum and you will read post after post about issues with slideouts and leveling jack systems. In my opinion, these are two things that seem to break and are costly to repair.

So far, I have had my slideout, leveling system, and inverter repaired. My motorhome is only two years old. There may also be some flexibility in price on the extended warranty. Negotiate with the RV dealer. There are third parties that sell extended warranties such as Good Sam.

Good luck with your decision.

Firestone Airbags, Hellwig front/rear Anti-Sway Bars,
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 04:17 AM   #9

From everything I have seen, put the money in a CD, and keep it as an emergency. I think you will be far better off from some of the stories I have heard over the years on how they come up with every angle on what is not covered like all insurance companies do!
SJB46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 05:35 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
extended warranty

we just purchased a 2007 Monaco knight........we also looked at extended warranties..........finally decided just for peace of mind, we would go with good sam.........$85 per month, no upfront cash and a $1,000 deduct.........I know the coverage provides them with many "outs" should something go wrong, (EVERY CONTRACT DOES) but I figured I will keep it for 6 months, learn the quirks with my Monaco, then decide whether to keep it or not.........the reality is the warranty companies have contracts that give them the ability to turn down claims, but should something major go wrong, things MIGHT be covered...........I agree with those that say dump the 6 grand in a maintenance fund if you have it now, and add to that monthly............that is what I will do in 6 months or so...................
jsmmonaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 10:34 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I purchased one on this rig when I first purchased it for the same reason that Mr D wished his had gone through. We had a 1,000 mile trip back home from the dealership where we purchased it and I had no clue to how good or bad the motor and transmission we're going to be. After having the coach for 6 months, I canceled the policy and got back all of my money except for approx. $500. It was more than worth the $500 for peace of mind on the trip home. All has been great since then and any of the repairs I have made I am still in the black using my own money for warranty work. I know that everyone's outcomes will vary, this is just the way it worked out for us. Randy

Tags
motorhome