Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2015, 04:51 PM   #1

"Extended" propane

Any one using these devices to hook up a bottle gas tank to heat the MH?

What is the best brand, on with a direct hook up or one of the quick diconnect type??? I found the QD type for around $90.00 with the hoses.

Thanks, Just Another Old Doggy, Don

OldDoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2015, 05:47 PM   #2

I have the extend a stay it's not a quick disconnect but it's easy to install and easy to use. I keep the big tank full and use smaller tanks for normal use, that way I'm sure I have several days of heat in case of a bad storm.

Old 01-10-2015, 06:22 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a Marshall Brass Extend-a-stay, Alas no longer made,, But near as I can tell the Mr. Heater Stay-A-While si an identical product and the Camco offering.. Looks like it on paper. I can not vouch for the quality on those

The Extend-a-stay has served me well on those occasions when I needed it, it has check valves and other safety features so there is no tank-tank transfer of propane (or anything else) it has an OUTLET for feeding a Grill or other portable device and an INLET for feeding the Motor Home.. (2 of those, one to the main tank one to the aux tank when needed) the full kit comes with 5' inlet hose and 10' grill feeder, Get a 2nd 10' hose.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:31 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi OldDoggy,
2X on wa8yxm's post. Go to Extend A Stay Added To Coach Propane System - iRV2.com RV Photo Gallery to see the installation.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 07:33 PM   #5

We tried these things and found they didn't work for the big motor home. The units have a flow limiter to prevent you from doing something stupid, but when the RV's heaters both run at the same time, the flow limiter sets and nothing works. I just took the regulator off and put a brass T between it and the LP tank valve. In the T I put a manual gas valve, then a hose and then a connector for the portable tank.

The only thing I need to take care with is to be sure BOTH the portable and RV tank valves are shut off before opening either.

Some other points to consider is that if you are using the hand tightened green or black composition fitting to connect to the portable bottle, these also have a flow limiter in them. If it continuously "sets" when all your heat is running you may have to drill it out. The second issue is that some 20lb portable LP tanks also have a flow limiter incorporated into the overflll prevention valve on the 20# bottles. According to the Manchester Tank engineers I've talked to, this was an inadvertent result of the tank valve design. If you look closely at the tank valve and the word ITALY is cast into the valve right under the 3 cornered hand wheel, there is NO flow restrictor in the valve. I found 3 such tanks at my local Lowes store and they work fine. Some of the Blue Rhino exchange tanks work and some do not.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 08:53 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
We tried these things and found they didn't work for the big motor home. The units have a flow limiter to prevent you from doing something stupid, but when the RV's heaters both run at the same time, the flow limiter sets and nothing works. I just took the regulator off and put a brass T between it and the LP tank valve. In the T I put a manual gas valve, then a hose and then a connector for the portable tank.

The only thing I need to take care with is to be sure BOTH the portable and RV tank valves are shut off before opening either.

Some other points to consider is that if you are using the hand tightened green or black composition fitting to connect to the portable bottle, these also have a flow limiter in them. If it continuously "sets" when all your heat is running you may have to drill it out. The second issue is that some 20lb portable LP tanks also have a flow limiter incorporated into the overflll prevention valve on the 20# bottles. According to the Manchester Tank engineers I've talked to, this was an inadvertent result of the tank valve design. If you look closely at the tank valve and the word ITALY is cast into the valve right under the 3 cornered hand wheel, there is NO flow restrictor in the valve. I found 3 such tanks at my local Lowes store and they work fine. Some of the Blue Rhino exchange tanks work and some do not.
Not sure of his experience or brand he has. I do not have that problem and I just bought mine from PPL motor homes a couple of months ago and I am in a 38 foot allegro bus with two heaters and it is working well. I am using a 100 pound bottle that the campground gave me to use so that I would not have to buy one.

My experience with mine and what I know about mine. Took about15 minutes to install it. and about ten to take it off then 15min install the second one. The first one had a leak where it went into the T and PPL did not want me to fix it myself. Second one they sent me worked perfect. I bought the unit with an input fitting and an ouput fitting to run a LP cookstove or something else. The fitting going out to the external devices has a quick disconnect fitting. The fitting coming in from the external tank does not have a quick disconnect nor does it have a valve on the end of it. It relies on the tank valve to turn it off. When the end of the season arrives you are going to have to remove the hose and put in the plug. This is not a bad thing but when I go to put the plug in I am going to put a gas valve so that I can turn it off any time I want. The unit comes with a 5 foot hose which works well probably for a 30 pound tank but if you get a 100 pound tank it is quite a bit taller and you will need the 12 foot hose.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:00 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I have a Marshall Brass Extend-a-stay, Alas no longer made,, But near as I can tell the Mr. Heater Stay-A-While si an identical product and the Camco offering.. Looks like it on paper. I can not vouch for the quality on those

The Extend-a-stay has served me well on those occasions when I needed it, it has check valves and other safety features so there is no tank-tank transfer of propane (or anything else) it has an OUTLET for feeding a Grill or other portable device and an INLET for feeding the Motor Home.. (2 of those, one to the main tank one to the aux tank when needed) the full kit comes with 5' inlet hose and 10' grill feeder, Get a 2nd 10' hose.
The new systems do not have check valves to keep from having tank to tank transfer. Also if you take off the extended tank to be refilled the MH tank will flow out of the hose unless you take it off and put the plug back in the opening. A check valve being installed there would have been a significant improvement.

Tags
propane