Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2014, 06:57 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Extended Service Plan & Roadside Assistance

Ok, it is time to renew the Good Sam Extended Service Plan and the GS RA..........I have folks that have Class A's who never buy the extended service plan and just go "naked".......but the manager of the local RV shop said he would never go without it............so tell me your opinion.......and what opinions on the roadside assistance?
Thanks........and of course
Semper Fi!
Trustking is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2014, 07:13 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Road side assistance is a must, IMO. Towing charges for an RV can very very high, if a goodly distance is involved.

Extended service plan, not a must, IMO - depending on your TV and personal situation. Are you handy at some of your own repairs? What is your tolerance for unexpected, and possibly large, expenditures? Do you usually travel far from your usual trusted and reasonably priced repair facility?
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:26 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Do you care about the cost? Do you mind waiting 8 hours in the breakdown lane? Is a $700 tow chump change? A 3-day repair at $4500 plus hotel a minor inconvenience? A $20K engine replacement a pain in the neck but doable? If so, forget the service contract and RA.

Do you and your family routinely forego life insurance and medical insurance because they're expensive? If so, apply the same level of concern to your coach and the family inside it.

Its just that simple.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:20 PM   #4

Service plans etc

Insurance is insurance. It is desirable or not depending on your tolerance for risk. Overall, the cost of the insurance is greater than the cost of the repairs paid for by the insurance. That is the bet the insurance (Service) company is making when you purchase a contract. They charge more that the expected cost of all repairs in aggregate. That is where they get their profit. This process is not new to you. You make this same deal when you purchase life insurance, health insurance, regular car insurance or a service plan on a dishwasher at home.

For years I drove an older class A motorhome with only liability insurance. No road service agreement, no nothing else and I did well. Understand that I had been rebuilding trucks with my dad since I was 12 or 13 and my wife and I drove every nail, installed the plumbing, wiring, etc in our 2000 Sq Ft ranch style home. I was not concerned with motorhome failure as I knew that I could repair it and because it was an old unit, if it was a total loss I could afford to scrap the whole thing and purchase another one.

Soon I will take delivery of a 12 year old 2001 Tiffin Allegro Bus and I will get Collision Insurance, and liability insurance. I will also have a roadside assistance/towing package. The collision because I financed this coach and the bank requires it and the roadside assistance because I am older and no longer want to be under the coach changing parts on the side of the road.

On the other hand I will not get any warranties on the the coach, appliances, or other items as I still figure I can fix most things myself and so long as the chassis runs I can get it home to work on it. I also figure that with only 40,000 miles on a chassis built to run 450,000 miles, and I really do the maintenance, there will not be a major failure. I may be wrong, but I am willing to take that risk. I could wind up paying for a coach with no engine that sits in the yard unused until I can afford the time and money to replace it. All it would take is for me to fail to tighten the oil drain nut properly.

So to answer your question about service contracts, etc, you need to take a realistic look at your abilities and desires then select the risks you want to take and which risks you want to pay someone else to take. Can you repair a rusted out battery compartment? Do you know how to check the tires for rot and expiration dates? Do you have the financial ability to tow it home at many dollars per mile if a freak wind storm blows you off the road and you break an axel? Are you willing to give up an entire vacation because of some equipment failure? There is no magic formula that works for everyone. Only you can answer these questions.

Note that I never mentioned the quality of the contracts available. Some insurance/service plans are great and others not so much. Look around in the market before you make any decisions and with your family choose the coverage you need based on the risks that are reasonable for you just like you do for life insurance, car insurance, etc. Many people do fine mostly self insured as I did with my first one, some need insurance against all perils because they are in bad personal health and bad financial health. You, like most of us are likely somewhere in the middle.

I hope this helps sort out which way is best for you.
APhotoWizard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service