Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2012, 08:54 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Extended Service Plans

Morning RVers...Question
Is any extended warranty better than others ?
I contacted Good Sam and Coner Stone Extended service plan coverage.
Is there much difference between them and do you recomend any others ?
Please advise as this is my first M/H and its a new experience.
Thank you for your in put.

Greg K

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2012, 10:46 PM   #2
AGP

Monaco Owners Club
Greetings
IMHO all extended warranty plans are a waste of money.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:10 PM   #3

We have had Xtraride for 2 1/2 years. Excellent company. What we paid was well worth it. Many deride ex warranties. I like them on vehicles. Limits you possible expense. Xtraride has excluded nearly nothing in their coverage to us.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:29 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't like the things. They're insurance. Statistically, you're betting against the house and the odds are not in your favor...

We had an extended warranty (through Ford) on an F-150. The things these companies exclude is crazy. Front cross member was loose (rivets worn). Not covered? Why? Loose. Had we let it come off, it would have been covered.

Here's what I do know. You want an exclusionary warranty. IE - everything is covered "except".

The other type (more common) is inclusionary. It lists what's covered. If it's not on the list, was caused by something not on the list, or something not on the list is involved... It's likely not covered. There are lots of ways to deny claims on inclusionary warranties.

Note, I have no input on the Good Sam program... And the rigs I buy are already old and depreciated, so I expect to spend some amount of money on them.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:40 AM   #5
AGP

Monaco Owners Club
IMHO cb1000rider has got it right.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:26 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes it is insurance and I also have liability and collision.

That said, shop carefully and make sure you understand what is covered and what is not. Buy from a dealer as they can usually get a much better price. I prefer to cover chassis and drive train only. A new engine could cost $30K and a tranny $10K. If the microwave goes out I will take care of that myself.

You can take your chances though and put the money in a savings account. I just know that I qwould spend that money on other trips. I don't have the money to replace an engine, if mine needed replacing I would probably have to get out of RVing.

Jerry
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:28 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
All the above are correct. It is your first MH, so if you are more comfortable with a warranty that's fine. Mine is through First Extended Service. Although it covers items not on my MH, it did not cover the power awning motor. Last trip in to the shop my AC and furnace were not working and it did not cover. Said it was "normal maintenance" so I am tiring to learn how do fix it all myself. If you are "handy" the guys on this site will get you through most anything.
My opinion is worth what you paid for it.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:18 AM   #8

We have an extended service contract through National Warranty of Florida that has worked well for us. They did pay for an awning motor and to repair an air conditioner, as well as, replace a power cord that had bad insulation, replace a rear axle seal, and replace a circuit board on a converter/inverter. The advice about reading the contract carefully is spot on. Some are much better than others.

Prices for extended service contracts are sometimes negotiable, especially when bought from a dealer at the time of rv purchase. If you are financially able, it is probably money wise to put a chunk of cash in an emergency savings account and use that for repairs. Some are uncomfortable or unable to do that, and an ew may be right for them. The fact that they are insurance and that the seller makes a profit on them is immaterial, IMO. Your decision should suit your needs. Good luck.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:06 PM   #9

I bought a ESC by CSI Allegiance. Made the final payment about a month or so ago. Just found out the DS air suspension bag is leaking. Called the "file a claim" number and they said " it's a covered part, have the dealer call us and we'll give him an authorization number".

I, along with another poster, did a fair amount of research on these policies. The one very important feature to have is a "consequential damage rider". It means that if a non-covered part causes a covered part to fail or a covered part causes a non covered part to fail, the company pays for everything.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:58 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank You all for the input.. I will be sure to read and ask questions..Greg K
Old 05-13-2012, 10:54 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
See that "wear and tear" and "consequential damage" coverages are included somewhere.

Be sure the insurance (and re-insurance) companies backing the warranty are solvent.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:03 AM   #12

We have had 'extended' coverage on all of our motor homes and it has paid off on most of them. On our current one we had a radiator issue that the repair billed ended up being alomst $6000.00. We only ended up paying a little over $1500.00. Read all of the ones you are looking at and ASK questions of all of them.
It is good to know that if you have a major isuue that it will be covered and you will not have to pay too much out of pocket.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:48 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2Home View Post
We have had 'extended' coverage on all of our motor homes and it has paid off on most of them. .
Overall.. I mean 'net' - are you ahead or behind?

And yes, on above - make sure the warranty company is solvent. Try to buy directly versus buying at your RV retailer shop (who is marking it up).

For what I do - depreciated RVs - it's a non-starter...
Old 05-13-2012, 07:59 PM   #14

Bought my Breeze 6/11, along with a $4500, 4 year Service Contract. V10 Piston broke 10/11. Dash AC compressor had a slight oil leak and speedo jumped to 40 as soon as I started moving.

Claim was >$10K. I had to pay for AC dryer and expansion valve and $100 deductible. Total cost to me was $220.

Savings account?

Don't know about anybody else, but my Chase Plus Savings Account only pays point 15 %. I'd rather spend the money; at least I'd have something to show for it.

I've read that the contract salesman can make up to 50% of the contract price. Wish I'd known I could negotiate the price before I bought.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service