Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2015, 03:53 PM   #1

Extended service plans

My wife and I are looking at upgrading our TT to a motorhome. We were only looking at new, but recently, we started to discuss a used motorhome. We see that we can get a lot more value for our dollar if we buy used, but she is concerned with getting a lemon situation. I suggested we get a Good Sam's extended service warranty on a used one. I would like to get some feedback on how well those warranties are honored and any experiences people have had with of buying a used motorhome.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2015, 04:21 PM   #2

Get a good third party inspection of the MH before purchase. I've read both for and against the idea of the service plan. I'm probably going to get one but will not go with GS. Will go with cornerstone or warranty warehouse if I do.

Old 09-24-2015, 05:32 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
I have been RVing for many many years, over 40 and I will never buy another extended warranty. I wrote a article in my blog about extended warranties. They are not worth the paper they are wrote on. You would be better off putting the money for the warranty in a savings account. Many dealers will give you a 30 to 90 day warranty. With a good 3rd party inspection you should be OK. I assume you are going to purchase a late model used one. Any problems should have already been corrected and taken care of my previous owner. Make sure there is a good set of records with whatever unit you purchase. Below is a link to my experience with 5 different extended warranties on 5 different vehicles.
Mel
Click Here
Old 09-24-2015, 06:15 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhbell View Post
I have been RVing for many many years, over 40 and I will never buy another extended warranty. I wrote a article in my blog about extended warranties. They are not worth the paper they are wrote on. You would be better off putting the money for the warranty in a savings account. Many dealers will give you a 30 to 90 day warranty. With a good 3rd party inspection you should be OK. I assume you are going to purchase a late model used one. Any problems should have already been corrected and taken care of my previous owner. Make sure there is a good set of records with whatever unit you purchase. Below is a link to my experience with 5 different extended warranties on 5 different vehicles.
Mel
Click Here

Great blog. Too bad the experience on these service contracts are not more consistent with (good) service. I am one of the fortunate because I have had very positive experience over the past 20 or so years on mine. Probably ahead of the game by about $10k collectively. Been very satisfied with Xtra Ride on my Newmar.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:24 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
In July we traded our gas MH for a diesel planning to take it on a cross country trip in September. It was purchased thru a reputable dealer with all the inspections. We didn't buy the extended warranty. However, the day we took it home it blew an oil gasket. The dealer paid to have it towed back to them and all the repairs, but just to be on the safe side we added the extended warranty. And a good thing we did too because a week and a half into our cross country trip we had an oil leak in the line for the fuel injector! The repairs were over $3000 which were covered, plus they will reimburse us for our lodging and meals for the five days it took to repair. All these issues were things that an inspection did not and would not have been found...they were just part of life. Sh.. happens! You just deal with it. But I'm glad we paid the up front cost and know we have the coverage if something goes wrong.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:29 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Pros and cons, and all valid. I am not a fan of such extended warranties believing that over time you will come out ahead being self insured. However when buying a used RV they can be useful as a mitigation against large cost unknown/latent issues. Buy with a one year term and high deductible. After the one year, and then having experience with the RV, decide whether to continue or not.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 09:34 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Pros and cons, and all valid. I am not a fan of such extended warranties believing that over time you will come out ahead being self insured. However when buying a used RV they can be useful as a mitigation against large cost unknown/latent issues. Buy with a one year term and high deductible. After the one year, and then having experience with the RV, decide whether to continue or not.
I wasn't either but after the engine blew and the bill was over $33,000 I wish we had bought one for $9000. Cummins did reduce the bill by $10,400 though so we ONLY paid some $22,000!
Problem was we didn't get the paperwork to sign up till we got home and the engine had blown up by then.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 09:37 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Mostly Cons for the warranty. Betting on something bad to happen?
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 09:15 AM   #9

RVing Solutions

Sorry to hear about some of the bad experiences. We purchases the Extra Ride Plan through Rving Solutions and have saved big time with all the things that have went wrong with our motorhome. They saved us alot of money on the plan itself and were great to work with. I think the guy we worked with was Derek. I would check them out if your looking at getting an extended warranty. We are very happy with our plan!!
Old 09-25-2015, 11:02 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by harperjayde View Post
Sorry to hear about some of the bad experiences. We purchases the Extra Ride Plan through Rving Solutions and have saved big time with all the things that have went wrong with our motorhome. They saved us alot of money on the plan itself and were great to work with. I think the guy we worked with was Derek. I would check them out if your looking at getting an extended warranty. We are very happy with our plan!!

Xtra ride is a great policy great coverage
Old 09-25-2015, 03:52 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
I just read another thread about problems with a extended warranty. Here is the link.
Click Here
Old 09-25-2015, 04:07 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Extended warranties are really insurance polices. They are no different the RV or car insurance or health insurance. You get them to feel more comfortable in case something goes wrong. At least that is why I have them. I got my last one when I had the money to do so.....to hopefully cover me if something should happen when I don't have the money.

Not all Extended Warranties are created equal so be sure to read all the fine print before you sign on the dotted line.

I went though Wholesale Warranties with my current warranty. Haven't used it yet but it makes me feel more comfortable knowing it is there.

Not a Clue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service