Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2014, 06:51 AM   #1

Extended warrantes/

Purchased a 2007 Monaco Monarch in July from camping world in nj. Did not know anything about such insurance when I purchased the RV. The dealer quoted me a price of about $8,000 for 5 years. Told me it would cover everything that could go wrong with the coach. I was very skeptical and thought the sum of money to be incredibly high. Also thought that if push came to shove they would find a way to not make repairs. Anyway I am now looking, re-thinking such insurance. I would appreciate your thought on specific policies you have, the cost and if you have ever had to make repairs. Thanks much
pmr47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2014, 06:55 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

This is one of the more debated topics on the forum.

I bought a seven year policy from Easy Care when I bought my 40DP new in 2007. I was happy with the peace of mind it provided and they never hesitated to pay a claim... which cannot be said about some other companies.

Best of luck

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:11 AM   #3

Thank's so much for the reply. I will certainly check the company out.
pmr47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:21 AM   #4

Yikes!!! $8000 for 5yrs. We paid a little over $4000 for a 4yr. policy with unlimited mileage w/gaskets & seals from www.wholesalewarranties.com
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 03:04 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
I'm using my extended warranty for the first time for a failed leveler jack and it's been a real frustrating process. I thought I'd get it repaired while stopped for 10 days and they are making it difficult. I removed jack in order to drive and took it to a hydraulic shop to make it easy. Now they want someone to certifie that the rest of system is ok. I plugged line and all other jacks work fine , but they don't want to accept that. So they're making it more costly for themselves and consuming more of my time. So buyer beware that dealing with these companies is a real nightmare. This company is performance first, policy bought through Wholesale Warranties. I will be calling them if this issue isn't resolved shortly as they said they can help when needed, we'll see. If it's this bad for a $750 repair how will it be if it's something serious.
sevenmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 06:21 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Also you must comply with all maintenance schedules manufactures of components have set and have records. Another thing I've learned is they have you get problem diagnosed to determine cause and if it not coved you pay for that. I only paid $ 1800 for 7 yr 70000 mile warranty since my MH only had 8000 miles on it when purchased. So I didn't risk a lot of money. For components such as fridge, furnace etc they can't wiggle their way out so it great for these. We'll see what happens with my claim. I've seen others here who have had good luck with warranties , so sometimes it obviously works.
sevenmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 07:37 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Read the contract. They are breakdown ins. In other words, It cannot be repaired
papocabrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 07:42 PM   #8

These warranties are negotiable !
Old 01-11-2015, 06:37 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Here is a link to a Blog post that I wrote in regards Extended Warranties. I will never buy another extended warranty Period. You could put the 8000 in the bank and be better off. The have to many loop holes to get out of paying. Here is the link:
Extended Warranties Are They Worth IT! | RV Bloggers or CLICK HERE
Mel
Old 01-12-2015, 07:57 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've been happy with the Good Sam Plan. They worked well with my dealers, were easy to reach, and the terms and conditions are explained well. My warranty has paid for itself the last couple of years but I don't think I'll renew it next year. Instead, I'm going to self insure. I'll put the money I pay in premiums in the bank and pay for the repairs myself. I think I'll be okay as long as I don't have any really major failures.

It is really important to understand how the program works. The company will require that a reputable repair facility diagnose the problem and provide them with a proposed repair. Then and only then will they authorize the repair. Some repair shops will accept payment directly from the warranty company, some will require you to pay up front. But, again, the key is to get the repair authorized before the shop expends a single minute on anything other than diagnosis. You can help yourself out by providing as much help as possible in quickly diagnosing the problem. However, you should NOT attempt to be part of the repair process. That usually doesn't work out well.

These really aren't warranties - they are insurance plans. And, just like insurance, you have a substantial deductible and some substantial premiums. If you can accept the risk of a major bill, you might consider self-insuring but you sure better put that money back for the inevitable repair bill.

I do a lot of my own repair work but there are some things that are beyond my reach. My warranty really came through twice for me - first when the entire cooling system on the generator had to be replaced (long story) and again when the engine fan clutch had to be replaced. Both of those were pretty expensive repairs and things I couldn't have done myself.

One suggestion. Before you buy a warranty from any company, call a few of your favorite repair / maintenance locations and ask them if they work with the company.
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:02 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenmacs View Post
For components such as fridge, furnace etc they can't wiggle their way out so it great for these. We'll see what happens with my claim. I've seen others here who have had good luck with warranties, so sometimes it obviously works.
Uhh... how so? The refer and furnace require yearly maintenance and they can ask for shop bills to prove it was done. If not, they can (and often do) deny claims
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:05 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
One other thing: Unless you buy the "warranty" direct from the manufacturer of the vehicle they are NOT "warranties", they are service contracts and subject to all the contract provisions. Even the fine print on the back, you know 6pt light grey on white so it's hard to read.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 05:03 AM   #13

With wholsale warranties I had no problem with them when my Dometic fridge went kaput. I told them I wanted to go with a residential, and that was fine with them.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 03:41 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Told me it would cover everything that could go wrong with the coach.
Well, he lied badly about that. There are innumerable things that are not covered, starting with body and roof problems (leaks), cosmetic issues, furnishings and upholstery and flooring, normal wear & tear (and they get to decide what that is), and many electronic fialures. Then there are the loopholes like "consequential damages", were a $5 part fails and causes $7000 in other damages. They fix the $5 part and you hold the bag for the rest.

I'm not saying an extended warranty is worthless, but it sure ain't 100% bumper to bumper. Read the contract carefully and ignore the sales guy.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote