Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2011, 06:16 PM   #1

Extended Warranties Again

We have recently purchased a new to us 2006 Holiday Rambler Scepter with Cummins ISL/Allison 3000 setup. It has 20,000 miles on it. It is currently stored for the winter (Michigan). We plan on a NW US trip next summer encompassing about 7000 miles. I am not interested in the should I/shouldn't I purchase one arguments. I am interested in anyones recent experiences with purchasing an extended warranty, companies that you used, why you chose them and especially any claims experiences. I already have Coach.net and we are looking at Good Sam, ACC Coach Care and something I believe is called GoRV Warranty. Are their others that someone has used and would care to comment on please. Price is always a concern but coverage and responsiveness is more important to me. Thank you in advance for any help you can give to me in this regard. Meanwhile waiting for summer, first winter retired by the way! Yeah, yeah, I know-Go South.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2011, 06:26 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have Interstate Star. I purchased it due to a couple of friends recommendations. I have used it twice with no problem. They were probably small claims in the grand scheme of things but I let the dealer handle all of the approvals and the paper work. Paid my $100 deductible each time and I was out the door.

The local chassis shop I deal with prefers the Good Sam plan, he says they are the easiest to work with.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:09 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have Good Sam coverage. They denied a $700+ claim for a replacement chassis Air Conditioner. The original clutch had a noisy bearing. They said just the clutch bearing could have been replaced (Work horse chassis, with a Jeep A/C compressor). My mechanic said more damage would have been done trying to replace it. They didn't even offer to paid the bearing part. I don't remember if that cost was under my deductible.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:14 PM   #4

Some good advice I heard was; if you have the cash sitting in the bank for unexpected repairs, then you will probably money ahead by NOT purchasing an extended warranty. If you don't have the cash laying around, then it is probably a good idea.

Greg & Lynn (Full-Timing)
2011 Phaeton 42 QBH / Spartan Chassis
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:21 PM   #5
a k

Newmar Owners Club
I had a good sam policy and had a refer go bad and it needed a $280 part. Well, they didn't make the part anymore so the refer needed to be replaced. Good Sam's would only pay $180. Part could not be found, not even used.

That's why I have Easycare now.. A couple bucks more but if the part isnt avalible, they replace the whole thing.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:01 PM   #6

Does anyone know what the oldest coach they will start coverage on? We are looking at a '98 (only 50,000 miles) and would love to get a extended warranty on it but have a feeling it is going to be to oldto find coverage.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:25 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Quote:
Originally Posted by wthomas1 View Post
I have Interstate Star. I purchased it due to a couple of friends recommendations. I have used it twice with no problem. They were probably small claims in the grand scheme of things but I let the dealer handle all of the approvals and the paper work. Paid my $100 deductible each time and I was out the door.

The local chassis shop I deal with prefers the Good Sam plan, he says they are the easiest to work with.
I have Interstate also, platinum plan. Previous owner had purchased it I paid a $50 transfer fee. I use Media Camping for my work and they sold the policy originally, never a problem. You do have to pay for the diagnostic work plus the $100 deductible per claim.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:29 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo122 View Post
I have Interstate also, platinum plan. Previous owner had purchased it I paid a $50 transfer fee. I use Media Camping for my work and they sold the policy originally, never a problem. You do have to pay for the diagnostic work plus the $100 deductible per claim.
I have the Diamond plan and haven't been charged for diagnostics, just my $100 deductible each time.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:27 PM   #9

I have wholesale warranty they cover it all 100.00 deductible and there prices are some of the best. give them a call
Old 01-07-2011, 06:42 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Extended warranty limitations

Most extended warranties have a cap on the amount of coverage equal to the Blue Book value of the MH. It is ok if it new and worth 80K but if it used and worth 15K then that is your cap for the policy life. Always check this out.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:10 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
We have the Good Sam's ESP and just made our first claim. Needless to say I'm pretty unhappy with the service. We had a leak in our 2 rear levelling jacks. One jack could be rebuilt; however the other needed replacement.

The policy indicates all parts are covered; however after the repair shop (and me) each calling GS....they would not pay for the new jack. The apparent cause was dirt that gauged the leveler ram and that isn't covered. When we probed about this, we got nothing but a run around from 4 different reps and were told to send a notice to the review board. I explained that if all parts are covered (as my contract states) and a bad seal allowed dirt into the leveler this should be covered because the seal failed (we have seal coverage as well). The only way they would cover this is if an internal part of the jack failed and caused the scoring. When I said the seal is PART of the jack...well more techno babble was spouted at me. Asked to be passed to a manager and nobody was available. All of this occured with me having a $500 deductible...so I figure I'd still be paying for most of the jack.

Needless to say I have learned my lesson and will cancel this policy. I figure they'll give me the same run around if the main seal of the diesel engine goes out.

So much for that peace of mind that I was looking for....we will just bank the annual premium and continue our wonderful maintainance plan.
SpursMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:54 PM   #12
a k

Newmar Owners Club
Remember, it's not a warranty, it's an insurance policy.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:31 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-n-Tyke View Post
Does anyone know what the oldest coach they will start coverage on? We are looking at a '98 (only 50,000 miles) and would love to get a extended warranty on it but have a feeling it is going to be to oldto find coverage.

good sam up to 16 years old.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:15 AM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
Less cost more coverage

www.wholesalewarranties.net

Speak with Jeff

$2011 less than EasyCare or Elite