Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2018, 02:31 PM   #1

Extended Warranties and Windshield Coverage

Much has been written and asked about extended warranties (service contracts) and windshield replacement coverage utilizing Crystal Fusion. We just finished up a claim on both our extended warranty and Crystal Fusion (windshield) coverages. I thought I would give you my experience from start to finish.

We bought a new 2015 Newmar Ventana in August of 2015. We planned on going fulltime starting in April of 2016 and in fact we did. I liked the idea of an extended warranty given the potential for a large repair bill down the road and that we would be using our rig every day. Our standard insurance has a vanishing deductible; however, since we are fulltime it does not apply to glass which has a $500 deductible. Our first major trip was planned as 3 months to Alaska so we were confident we would have a windshield claim within the first 4 months of being fulltime.

I think full disclosure is important so I want everyone to know our son is a finance manager at an automobile dealer so I know the ins and outs of the warranties we purchased better than most, including the approximate dealer’s actual costs. Armed with that knowledge we bought a StarRV Motor Home Service Contract administered by Interstate National Dealer Services, Inc. for $3,800 (roughly $500 above the dealer’s cost) from dealer other than our selling dealer. (We had previously arranged to do this with them and it took some special requests to/from the warranty company, but it can be done). We also purchased the Crystal Fusion windshield replacement coverage which is administered by Safe-Guard Products International, LLC for $815 (roughly $300 above dealer’s cost) from the same dealer.

Our extended warranty was the Diamond (highest level of coverage) level with the optional coverage for luxury components and optional coverage for covered part causing damage to non-covered parts. Basically we have 100% full coverage of everything except consumables or normal wear and tear for 7 years or 70,000 miles subject to a $200 deductible. The Crystal Fusion is a 5 year unlimited mileage full repair and replacement policy. If they can’t repair a small crack or ding with the Safelite process they replace the windshield. There is no cost or deductible on this policy.

The Crystal Fusion is an application similar to Rain-X that the dealer applies. It is a 3 step application process and causes the water to bead and supposedly creates some sort of chemical bond and barrier to prevent cracks, etc. We have had two windshields replaced in two years at no cost to us. The first was a large ding that was repairable but since it was in my line of vision it qualified for a replacement. The second was a ding that immediately caused a crack about one inch from the bottom of the windshield that spread about six inches to the outside edge of the windshield. This was not reparable due to the size and location so a replacement was authorized. The only down side to this whole process is that you have to get the product reapplied to your new windshield within 3 days or you lose all coverage. Your selling dealer is the authorized re-installer; however, if you are on the road you can do the installation yourself. This requires contacting the administrator, getting the supplies, and having them on hand when the windshield gets replaced and then doing the reapplication. Since we were on the road nowhere near the selling dealer we did our own reapplication. It is relatively easy and takes about 30 minutes. Overall I have nothing but positive experiences with this company. I have saved $1,000 in deductibles had I made a regular insurance claim and the 2 windshield replacements have cost the warranty company nearly $8,000 for glass, shipping and labor.

On my service contract we have had only one claim for $1,300+/-. It was an emergency repair to our Oasis system (similar to an Aqua-Hot system) that provides all our hot water and coach heat in addition to the heat pumps on the roof. Because the temperatures were in the mid 30’s the heat pumps were not effective so we essentially had no hot water or heat. The repair process was a little bit of a nightmare since there were no local RV dealers with a repair facility that could get us in within 3 weeks and no Oasis certified techs. We found an Aqua-Hot certified tech who said he had worked on the Oasis system. Long story made short three days later we had the system operational with one work-around and fully fixed a week after that. I started the claim process when we first discovered the problem and I was told I needed to have preauthorization from them once the tech came out and diagnosed the problem and had an estimate of repair costs. They DID NOT assign me a claim number at this point in time. When the tech came out he said he could not provide an estimate due to the nature of the problem and not to worry about the warranty company he would talk with them later. I was stuck between a rock and a hard spot and suspected this would be a headache in the future and possibly lead to a denial of the claim. I needed the repairs done ASAP since I had no heat or het water so went ahead and let the chips fall where ever.

Once all the repairs were complete I called the company and they were able to find a record of my initial call. I explained what happened and why and they immediately denied the claim since I did not have the pre-approval they require in the policy. They explained I could write an appeal and plea my case under the “emergency repairs” clause of the contract. I got the address and procedures for the appeal and set to work. I got it out in the mail the next day and was not a very happy camper about this whole process. Yes, I knew I did not have the required pre-approval; but, I tried to get it and could not and I had to get the repair done ASAP or freeze at nights and not have any hot water. I decided to call my son who I mentioned earlier sells this same warranty for cars as part of his job. He said the warranty companies use the pre-approval to prevent frivolous claims and have a reputation for denying valid claims on this basis. However, he said he believed the claim should be approved under the emergency exception and suggested I call the dealer who sold ne the policy and get them involved because they have a financial incentive to not have me pissed off and cancel the remaining policy. I called them and they were great and got involved. Three weeks passed and I got a formal denial letter for my claim which did not even address the emergency repair issue. I called the dealer and they said that was likely a form letter blanket response and not to worry they were on top of this. A day later I got a call from the company asking for some simple information which I e-mailed them that night. A week later got my check for the full amount of my claim less my deductible.

Was this a hassle……..YES; do I feel like they tried to deny a valid claim………..YES; was this an unusual circumstance and type of repair………YES; in the end did they step up and do the right thing……..YES. In the end I understand what they did and why and will make sure I have pre-approval in the event of another claim. My son’s industry knowledge was very helpful as was the selling dealer and in the end, I am a satisfied customer and have no regrets with my service contract purchase and the companies involved.

I hope this helps anyone who has an extended warranty or Crystal Fusion (windshield) question or concern. Please feel free to PM me if you want any additional details or information and forgive me for being so long winded.
Runaway4002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2018, 02:50 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Coming back from Texas this Spring we had a rock hit the windshield near the top and a crack started working its way down to nearly half way to the bottom.

We have Insurance on the glass and this will be the third windshield to be replaced in five years. When the second one cracked I thought we'd just take it to the last place to do the work, but the Insurance Company said to hold on a day or two. They called back and said they'd found a place to get it done for half as much. I argued that it may not be done properly, but they said it would.

Bottom line, the second place was just as good and half as much money.

Now this time we have already notified the Insurance Company and they are arranging to get it fixed.

What they want is a chance to get it done cheaper. I can't blame them for that. That's why they want to pre-authorize it.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 03:20 PM   #3

Had a ding/crack in the lower driver portion of the windshield that expanded earlier last year...had it replaced by Safelite thru our Safeco policy for no costs($0 Deductible Glass Damage).

We then went to Canada and Alaska and back thru lower BC and AB on the way back out thru Montana, Idaho, Utah, and Colorado...13,000 miles... no dings, damage, or windshield issues.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 04:52 PM   #4

I pay for zero deductible windshield coverage through Progressive. Just had both replaced. I paid nothing. They paid around $4k.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, windshield