Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2012, 05:04 PM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTonyB
The CW that I deal with in Raleigh, NC has treated me right, and the staff seems very knowledgable. I'm sure every CW location will be different.
I think you have hit the nail on the head. Hopefully they will tow your to Raleigh and not Mayberry, because Goober is gettin old and Gohmer has gone on to greener pastures.

flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2012, 05:05 PM   #30
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When I was buying my first and current RV, my final choice was new for $50,000 or 5 years old with 18,000 miles for $40,000. The warranty for the used RV was over $6,000. I bought new.

If you, like me, don't work on engines and major components, I'd suggest you consider a new RV. It's not only the costs involved... You have to consider down time as well. So many horror stories about RVs sitting on the repair shop lots for weeks, even months waiting for parts to come in.

If you are deadset on a used RV with a warranty, you might go ask the folks at the RV repair shop about them.

okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:45 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTonyB View Post
Good question. I would think that if you were buying an extended warranty from a third party, they could claim neglect previous to the warranty caused your engine problem. Very similar to a health insurance provider denying coverage for a pre-existing condition.
In my own case, I purchased a consignment model from CW. CW offered me a four year service contract for a little less than $4800. They then performed a pre-coverage inspection. After repairing a few minor items, they certified that my RV had no existing problems, and no exclusions on covered items.
My coverage doesn't include tires, brakes, or fluids.

To me, it seems like a good policy, but I've been wrong about these kinds of things before. I'll let you know in 46 months.
Well just like healthcare... there are shops in & out of the referral network. Many times Ive went into my own pocket for out of network coverage simply for the fact I wanted the "best" provider of care, not the one that accepts my insurance.

Now of course CW will certify a coach they sold for a service plan. im sure there are a bunch of exclusions. Like kanooter valves are covered... but the labor to disassemble the housing isnt. Of course to make an informed decision you would need a law degree, a detailed breakdown of the chassis & its service recommendations... then of course the latest published labor rates.
Its a shame that there is no integrity in the repair field and these contracts are sold solely on fear.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:56 PM   #32

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
By law, they are not "extended warranties", they are service contracts and have a whole different set of rules. The service contracts follow the rules of contract law, subject to each states laws. They also have numerous clauses that must be followed by all parties. They are also written by attorneys to meet the specifications of the selling company. If the company doesn't take in much more than they pay out then the go out of business, and lots have taking all the purchasers money with them.
One person had a transmission failure, the insurance company requested his service records and found he was 750 miles over on an engine oil/filter change. They cancelled the policy rather than pay for the trans rebuild. He did get his purchase price back if it's any consolation.
Another had a wire under the hood catch fire, it destroyed a bunch of the wiring. The insurance company paid for the one wire, but none of the others.
Lots of others have had the company simply go out of business, leaving them with nothing but worthless paper. If they rolled the cost in to the contract, then they're going to be paying for the worthless paper for years in the future.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:19 PM   #33

Well, some folks feel more comfortable having coverage whether the end result is plus or minus, but usually minus.

Dealers like service plan buyers due to high commisions and no connection to the buyer after the sale.

Service plan companies like it because they always make a profit across the plan buyer group.

Those that dont buy service plans almost always win. Together, we help keep the economy growing. Some of us more, some less.

Just the way I see it....

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:25 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I see this no different than life insurance, auto insurance, health insurance, etc. How much risk are you willing to take?

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:34 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
I see this no different than life insurance, auto insurance, health insurance, etc. How much risk are you willing to take?
See previous post by MR_D. Says a lot, including horror stories and the fact that it is not insurance.

There is more real risk without real insurance with liability, surgeries and such.

As for me. in 1993 bought a 1984 C. Spent about $1200 over 8 years.

In 2001 I bought a 5 yr old A with a 4 yr service plan for $4000. I used less than $1000 of the plan in 4 years (75% loss) and spent only about $1500 on my own in years 5-11.

My new A is still under warranty. I don't intend to get a "plan" after warranty.

Just sayin....

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:04 AM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
You just have to figure the odds

I normally consider service contracts to be a sucker bet, especially on new items that already carry a warranty, or when the price of the service contract is a very high percentage of the covered item.
If I was buying a new $200,000 MH, I doubt that I would consider a service contract. Most of the components will have their own manufacturers warranty, and you have brand new, so I think the odds are low that you have problems.

The OP specifically asked about extended warranties on a used motor home though.
In my case I am getting coverage from ages 12 years old through 16. Definitely more likely to have problems than a newer MH.
Nothing on this MH has existing warranties, so there is no overlap of coverage.
The price of my coverage was something I thought was fair, although others disagree.
My dealer of choice sold me the service contract and will be the one performing most of the repairs (except when I'm in Mayberry) so I expect less red tape than if I purchased a service contract independently.

Good luck to the OP.
BigTonyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:23 AM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
BigTonyB - I was kidding about Mayberry - not about CW service variation - and do have GS coverage LOL

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1035776467.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	557.2 KB
ID:	30884

Merry Christmas
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:06 AM   #38

Always going to be a 50/50 question. When I bought my 2011 Georgetown in August 2012 I went through the same agonizing process of "to buy or not to buy" service contract. Ran a poll on the Forest River Forum (Georgetown parent co.) and it was split down the middle on who bought, didn't buy and regretted not buying and bought later (like Good Sam). I took the advice of many, took $2K and put it aside for future use if needed (hope not!). The big ticket repair items are engine and chassis type stuff and the Ford chassis has been around to long to have serious issues, again, I hope!
Old 12-24-2012, 10:06 AM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
BigTonyB - I was kidding about Mayberry - not about CW service variation - and do have GS coverage LOL

Attachment 30884

Merry Christmas
Flagghip1- That's OK, I got a chuckle out of that. The fictional town of Mayberry is only about 100 miles from here and could very well be the place I break down someday.

Merry Christmas to all.
BigTonyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:38 PM   #40
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I've decided to gamble on the reliability of my Cummins ISC 350 engine and Allison 3000 tranny. My coach has 92,000 miles on it so I figure most common problems will have been fixed by now, so the main things I worry about are the engine and tranny. It would cost me $5500 for 3 years and I consider that high-priced insurance! I'm just gonna keep it serviced regularly and hope Murphy's law doesn't catch up with me!

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to all!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:39 AM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
I've decided to gamble on the reliability of my Cummins ISC 350 engine and Allison 3000 tranny. My coach has 92,000 miles on it so I figure most common problems will have been fixed by now, so the main things I worry about are the engine and tranny. It would cost me $5500 for 3 years and I consider that high-priced insurance! I'm just gonna keep it serviced regularly and hope Murphy's law doesn't catch up with me!

That is what I would have done. Better to have your money in your pocket then in the insurance agency's pocket. That gives me piece of mind. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:34 AM   #42

Forest River Owners Club
Well, I purchased a used 2004 Winnebago Adventurer, and I had the benefit of knowing the prior service on the coach. The Workhorse chassis coupled with the Allison transmission is very dependable, and Winnebago is known for their quality. That said, I still purchased the Goodsam Extended Service Plan, complete with the tires and gaskets coverage. It is expensive, about $1600 a year with a $500 deductable. But the peace of mind it gives me is worth the price. I think I can depend on Goodsam to stand behind the insurance and not try to weasel out on the coverage. But I have yet had to use them and am in to my second year.

Tags
motorhome