Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2013, 06:46 AM   #43

My experience with Good Sam is markedly different than others. I recently had the Ball Joints replaced on my Dutch Star which was covered. However when on the test drive a bearing started going bad on the right front. Well Good Sam considered that a totally different incident and made me pay another deductible. I thought it should all be on the same ticket since it all happened on the same day. Plus they got pretty nasty and said there was nothing they could do. Needless to say I immediately cancelled the coverage, and went with another company. Cheaper and a lower deductible and rated just as good as GS. I think I just figured GS would be the best company to go with. The company I'm now with told me they would have covered the additional work since it showed up before I took delivery, and it happened on the test drive. Live and learn. But it was an expensive lesson.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2013, 07:43 AM   #44

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ramets - sorry to hear about this. Doesn't seem right to me either and I have a GS policy as well. Does this other company have a name? Would like to look into it. Endorsement of a nameless company doesn't help quite enough. Please inform. Had you filed other claims with GS? Hopefully the new company will treat you right but I wouldn't hang my hat on the sales pitch alone. I have a quarterly payment coming up with GS and plan to pose your scenario to them when I call in with the payment.

flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:42 PM   #45

I recently bought a 2001 Tiffin Phaeton with only 12,800 miles that was stored inside most of its life. My wife & I are going to take a long trip from the southeast to the west coast, across Canada and back down the east coast. We want to have an extended service insurance package to protect us against major repairs. Good Sam's policy is $1500 a year for $1000 deductible & covers tires & seals also. This is available yearly thru 2018.

I also got a quote from Nationwide Warranty for anextended service agreement for 4 years at $949 a year. It seems to include everything the Good Sam coverage provides except tires. This policy also includes towing, roadside service and emergency tire replacement for 1 flat tire.

Does anyone have experience with Nationwide Warranty and this policy?
Old 01-23-2013, 09:59 PM   #46

I was quoted 2772 for a 1 year policy from the dealer that I bought my 14 year old Beaver from today with a $200 deductible. supposed to cover the drive train and the generator and towing up to $1,000. I haven't decided to take it or not. but have to let him know tomorrow, so he can service the units with new filters and oil changes
Old 01-23-2013, 10:08 PM   #47

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deSanford View Post
I've decided to gamble on the reliability of my Cummins ISC 350 engine and Allison 3000 tranny. My coach has 92,000 miles on it so I figure most common problems will have been fixed by now, so the main things I worry about are the engine and tranny. It would cost me $5500 for 3 years and I consider that high-priced insurance! I'm just gonna keep it serviced regularly and hope Murphy's law doesn't catch up with me!

That is what I would have done. Better to have your money in your pocket then in the insurance agency's pocket. That gives me piece of mind. deSanford
And if you need it you have it, if you don't need it you still have it! We've saved a bunch by not getting it.
Consumer Reports also says to skip it.
Or you could ask yourself: If I'm going the need the insurance do I want to buy the rig (item) in the first place. Does the salesman think it's about to fall apart so I should insure it? In that case I'll move on to something worth buying.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:11 PM   #48

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
My experience with Good Sam is markedly different than others. I recently had the Ball Joints replaced on my Dutch Star which was covered. However when on the test drive a bearing started going bad on the right front. Well Good Sam considered that a totally different incident and made me pay another deductible. I thought it should all be on the same ticket since it all happened on the same day. Plus they got pretty nasty and said there was nothing they could do. Needless to say I immediately cancelled the coverage, and went with another company. Cheaper and a lower deductible and rated just as good as GS. I think I just figured GS would be the best company to go with. The company I'm now with told me they would have covered the additional work since it showed up before I took delivery, and it happened on the test drive. Live and learn. But it was an expensive lesson.
Well, they are two completely different incidents and repairs, so yes, they were right in their interpretation even though you aren't happy with it.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:05 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Ramets - sorry to hear about this. Doesn't seem right to me either and I have a GS policy as well. Does this other company have a name? Would like to look into it. Endorsement of a nameless company doesn't help quite enough. Please inform. Had you filed other claims with GS? Hopefully the new company will treat you right but I wouldn't hang my hat on the sales pitch alone. I have a quarterly payment coming up with GS and plan to pose your scenario to them when I call in with the payment.

I didn't want anyone to get the idea I was endorsing a particular company, but I went through Wholesale Warranties(www.WholesaleWarranties.net) which offers XtraRide for Rv's. The coverage is exactly the same as I had with GS, but almost $3,000 less for the same length of time, and the deductible is exactly half as the one with GS. Now that being said, all anyone has to go on is what the policy coverage says, and how convincing the salesman or company is in selling you the policy. I NEVER had a claim with GS in the 2 1/2 yrs. I was with them. I did take the time to call a few RV & Cummins repair shops to find out if they knew about XtraRide and the 5 I talked with were very familiar with them and had never had any problem with them. So with that I went with them.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:56 AM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillbilly View Post
Well, I purchased a used 2004 Winnebago Adventurer, and I had the benefit of knowing the prior service on the coach. The Workhorse chassis coupled with the Allison transmission is very dependable, and Winnebago is known for their quality. That said, I still purchased the Goodsam Extended Service Plan, complete with the tires and gaskets coverage. It is expensive, about $1600 a year with a $500 deductable. But the peace of mind it gives me is worth the price. I think I can depend on Goodsam to stand behind the insurance and not try to weasel out on the coverage. But I have yet had to use them and am in to my second year.
So do you think your first repair will be ~$3700?
Old 01-29-2013, 12:02 PM   #51

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd

So do you think your first repair will be ~$3700?
And there's the rub. Could be nothing - could be $1,000's. No way of knowing so to each his own. With my luck - I will renew for another year - never use it and cancel. And then....
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:27 PM   #52

Fleetwood Owners Club
We plan to self insure. Invest the money and if something happens then we have a good chunk of money already (the cost we would be paying over the contract years) and if not, then we have even a bigger chunk of money. As always, it's a gamble same as all insurance.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:44 PM   #53

National RV Owners Club
I received this quote from Nationwide Warranty on my 1996 Dolphin 535 anyone have experience or opinions with them?
$100 Deductible

2 years= $600 down plus 12 monthly payments of $207.66

2 years= $2,897

EXCLUSIVE BENEFITS

Coverage Term – This coverage time begins from when you purchase the contract, not the original in service date like most other companies, giving you a longer coverage period.

Money back Guarantee - If for any reason you are unsatisfied with the warranty you can cancel free of charge within 30 days.

Wear & Tear - This policy also includes Seals and Gaskets also Normal Wear & Tear coverage. Wear & Tear coverage covers parts including worn pistons, worn rings and other mechanical parts that have worn out.

Nationwide Coverage - Claims are made by simply call a TOLL FREE number and will pay to any Dealer or Licensed repair facility by Corporate Credit Card anywhere you may have a breakdown in the United States and Canada. This means all you have to pay is the deductible and that’s it, no other out of pocket expenses.

Transferable/Cancelled – If you were to sell this unit you will be able to transfer the warranty to the new owner making your unit more appealing and valuable to subsequent owners. Also if you wish to cancel the contract at any time you will receive a pro-rated refund on the time remaining on the contract.

Guaranteed Coverage – This warranty is guaranteed to be there for when you need it most. This policy is a fully insured by the A.M. Best Rated (A) carrier Founded in 1927 Virginia Surety Company Inc.

$100 DEDUCTIBLE (Deductible is per visit not per item). This policy will cover all of your mechanical, appliances, plumbing and electrical components for the coach, chassis including Seals & Gaskets and Wear and Tear Coverage. It will pay the full retail rates for parts and labor.

WHAT IS COVERED
1. ENGINE:All internally lubricated parts including the cylinder block and cylinder heads. Includes pistons, wrist pins, rings, cylinder liner sleeves, connecting rods and bearings; crankshaft and main bearings; camshaft, followers, lifters, cam bearings, push rods, valves, valve seats, retainers, springs, guides, bushings, rocker arms and shafts, timing chain or timing belt, timing gears, timing chain tensions, eccentric shaft, balance shaft, oil pump, oil pump pick up screen and drive shaft. Water pump, fuel delivery pump, intake manifold, exhausts manifold(s), oil pan, valve cover(s), timing chain housing and cover, harmonic balance, crankshaft pulley, serpentine belt tension, accessory drive pulleys, fly wheel/flex plate, oil dipstick and tube, oil filter adapter housing, oil cooler and metal lines, engine mounts and cushions, engine torque strut, vacuum pump, engine block heater. When Your Vehicle is described on the Information Page as a Diesel or Turbo Diesel, the following additional parts are covered when applicable surcharge has been paid: Diesel injection pump, fuel heater, injectors (except when the Breakdown Results from contamination). When the Diesel engine is also equipped by the original manufacturer with a Turbocharger, the following parts are covered: Turbocharger-turbine and housing, waste gate/dump valve, inter cooler or charged air cooler (except hoses).

2. TRANSMISSION:All internally lubricated parts including the transmission case. Includes torque converter, vacuum modulator, transmission mount and cushion, transmission oil cooler and metal lines, transmission oil pan, cover, electronic shift control unit and solenoids, dip stick and filler tube.

3. DRIVE AXLE:(Front and Rear) all internally lubricated parts including the differential housing, trans axle housing and final drive housing. Axle shafts, constant velocity joints including boots, universal joints, drive shaft(s), hub bearings, supports, retainers and bearings, oil cooler and metal lines.

4. SUSPENSION:(Front and Rear) Includes strut bar and bushings, upper and lower control arms, control arm shafts and bushings, upper and lower ball joints, steering knuckles, wheel bearings, stabilizer shaft and bushings, kingpin and bushings, torsion bars, spindle and spindle supports, coil springs, leaf springs, leaf spring shackles and bushings. Leveling System: Height sensor, compressor and air drier.

5. STEERING:All internally lubricated parts including the steering gear box and gear housing. Includes rack and pinion gear, power steering pump, main and intermediate shafts, tilt/telescoping steering column, couplings, power steering pump and pulley, reservoir, cooler and metal lines, power control valve and cylinder, pit man arm, idler arm, tie rod and tie rod ends, drag links, center link, bell cranks, hydraulic steering damper.

6. AIR CONDITIONER:Compressor, clutch, clutch pulley, clutch coil, condenser, evaporator, POA valve, expansion and suction valves, orifice, accumulator, high/low pressure cutoff switch, receiver-drier, idler pulley and bearing, compressor mounts, temperature control programmer, power module, blower motor and fan, blower resistor, P.C. Boards, ducts, registers and outlets.

7. HEATING & COOLING:Water pump including housing, impeller, bearings and bushings, radiator, engine thermostat, fan, fan clutch, fan motor, fan controller module, coolant recovery unit, electric block heater, fan shroud, heater core, heater ducts and cabins.

8. FUEL DELIVERY:Fuel supply pump, fuel tank(s), auxiliary tank switch, fuel tank sending unit(s), metal fuel lines, fuel pressure regulator, fuel distributor, fuel injectors (except when the cause of Breakdown is contamination), fuel injection pump.

9. BRAKES: Master cylinder, power assist booster and pump, wheel cylinders, combination valve, equalizer valve, hydraulic control unit, hydraulic lines and fittings, disc calipers and rear actuators, power brake cylinder, brake pedal assembly, backing plates, clips, springs and retainers, self adjusters, parking brake linkage and cables, transmission mounted parking brake actuator (except drum and brake shoes). Air Brake System-Compressor, tank, air lines, auto bleeder valve, diaphragm, treadle, compensating valve and slack adjusters.

10. ELECTRICAL (CHASSIS):Starter motor, starter solenoid, alternator, voltage regulator, distributor, ignition coil(s), wiring harness, engine compartment relays, horns, manually operated switches, window defrosters, power mirror motors, wiper motors, power window motors, power door lock actuators, power seat motors, power antenna and motors, cruise control transducer, engagement switch and servo, dashboard instruments and gauges, dashboard clock, manufacturer installed in- dash radio, turn signal switch, headlight switch, dual battery paralleling/isolator switch. Back up alarm, switch and relay. Power step motor, power step control module, switches and control panel.

11. ELECTRONIC TECHNOLOGY:Fuel injection sensors and control module, ignition module, anti-detonation sensors and controller, electronic mixture-control unit and sensors. Anti Lock Brake System, Electronic control module, wheel speed sensors, pump motor, pressure modulator valve and accumulator. Digital driver information display, power module and printed circuit boards. Remote control spotlight system, factory installed anti-theft
alarm system.

12. FRAME:Metal only.

13. INTERIOR/EXTERIOR:Hood hinges, hood latch, hood springs and gas cylinders, door handles, door hinges, storage compartment handles, hinges and latches. Glove box door handle, hinges and latches. Driver and passenger seat frame, tracks and height adjusters. Transmission shift lever, courtesy map light fixture and switch. Factory Installed or Factory Approved Dealer installed manual awning-crank assembly and torsion arms (excludes fabric covering or weather damage).

14. SEALS AND GASKETS:Includes seals and gaskets and sealing boots for the components listed under the selected coverage level shown on the Information Page.

15. TAX / FLUIDS / LUBRICANTS: We will reimburse as required for state and local taxes, necessary fluids, lubricants and refrigerant to complete covered repairs.

16. WEAR AND TEAR:A covered wear and tear Breakdown will be deemed to occur when a component fails to perform its function as it was originally designed to work in normal service with required maintenance due to material failure or defects in workmanship and outside the manufacturer’s design tolerance.

17. WATER HEATER:Burner assembly, tank, thermostat, thermocouple, gas valve, heating elements, fittings and connections, control panel, electronic ignition assembly, wiring harness, switches, relays and printed circuit boards.

18. FRESH WATER:Water pump, compressor, water tank(s), water lines, manifold, pipes, connections and fittings, faucets, traps.

19. SANITATION:Shower basin, toilet, sink(s), in sink-disposal and switch, holding tanks, gate valves, connections, pipes and traps.

20. AIR CONDITIONING (ROOF MOUNTED):110 Volt or Central System: Compressor, evaporator, condenser, accumulator, expansion valve, receiver drier, high/low cutoff switches, pressure cycling switch, electronic module, printed circuit boards, blower/fan motor, ducts and registers, thermostat, control panel, switches, capacitors, relays, heat strips, heat pump, ceiling fan(s), bathroom vent motor.

22. RANGE AND OVEN:Microwave oven, convection oven, power hood, range burner assembly, thermostat, thermocouple, burner valves, ignitor/ignition assembly, printed circuit boards, fittings, lines and connections.

22. L.P. GAS/PROPANE:Regulators, gas bottles (except valves and gauges), mounting brackets, pigtails, gas lines, fittings and connections, leak detector and automatic shut-off valve.

23. HEATING:Furnace, ignitor/ignition assembly, burner assembly, thermocouple, gas valve, lines, fittings and connections, thermostat, control panel, blower/fan motors, heat pump, heat strips, printed circuit boards, ducts, duct work and registers.

24. REFRIGERATOR AND FREEZER:Thermostat, thermocouple, 2 or 3 way cooling unit, burner assembly, ignitor, control panel, switches, fittings and connections, printed circuit boards, latch and door seal(s).

25. AUDIO/VIDEO ENTERTAINMENT: Factory Installed or Factory Approved Dealer installed (non-in dash mounted) stereo radio receiver, amplifier and speakers, compact disc and cassette player, antenna and rotor package, antenna motor, antenna control panel and signal amplifier, television sets (allowance up to a maximum of 32” and excluding plasma, high definition and LCD display screens).
26. AUXILIARY POWER PLANT/GENERATOR: Factory installed or Factory Approved-Dealer Installed: All internally lubricated components of the power plant engine including the engine block and cylinder head. Starter, ignition coil, switches, hour meter and gauges, voltage regulator, power converter, inverter, generator, monitor/control panel, printed circuit boards, shore power cord and reel.

Additional Benefits:In addition to the repair cost if the breakdown occurs more than 100 miles from your home, you may be entitled to the following benefits:
Towing: Reasonable towing charges up to $300
Food Spoilage: up to $75 if your refrigerator breaks down and spoilage occurs
Emergency Service Calls: in the event of a failure, we will reimburse you for actual expenses up to $100 (in addition to repair costs) for onsite service call performed by a repair facility
Lodging and meal expenses: $125 per night with a maximum 3 nights
Substitute Transportation
Emergency Roadside assistance
Lost key / Lockout: cost of a replacement key or gaining entry by a locksmith.
Fluid Delivery: delivery of fuel, oil, fluid cost excluded.
Flat Tire Change: repair of inflate a tire at breakdown site.
Battery Charge/Replacement: Charge your battery or install new battery.
Emergency tire allowance: for one new tire in the event of a flat tire on the highway, which is not repairable.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:58 PM   #54

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our one and only tow with having MH's since 1988 was over $700. $300 might get you hooked up.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:15 AM   #55

National RV Owners Club
Yea, I have Good Sam and AAA for towing. Between the two I should be covered.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:37 AM   #56

Phoenix American Warranty Co. 4yrs/$4500. Within 6 months. Engine blew because of weak fuel pump, Dash AC compressor leaked oil, and Speedo jumped to 40 as soon as I started moving. CEO had to approve >$10 claim. Do the math.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome