Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2013, 06:50 PM   #57

I have been extremely happy with my Good SAMs warranty. The two service centers I use one is a cat dealer and the othe a locally owned RV service center where familiar with Good SAMs and said Good SAMs was easy to work with.
Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2013, 07:30 PM   #58

Sorry. That should have been >$10K claim.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:10 AM   #59

we bought extended warrenty from Good Sam on new 2009 HR, we had a couple of small claims, we paid $2000 100 ded. would not do it again on a new MH.Good luck
dcfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:36 PM   #60

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
I know this is an old thread, but I thought I would put in my $0.02 while I am sitting in an RV park waiting for a mobile tech for a covered item.

I have had two coaches that were covered by a service contract. This first one was 4 years old when I bought it. I collected much more than I paid for it in the 3 years I owned the coach.

I bought my current motor home new. I bought a service contract from the dealer and got a few hundred dollars of benefit. I lost out on that one. When I headed to Alaska last summer, I got another contract. Nothing happened in Alaska, but in 14 months since I got it, I have collected more than the premium I paid.

I am on my way to trade in my Itasca. The low air pressure alarm went off on I95 in Maryland this afternoon and a service guy will be here in the morning. Unless it's the brake shoes or drums (not likely), the repair will be covered.

I know that I have collected more than the premuim because when I requested a refund on the unused portion of the policy, they told me that they deduct the amount paid from the refund amount. My refund amount is 0. At the worst, the cost was a wash.

Once I get finished with the latest repair, I'll be in the money.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:42 AM   #61

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfd View Post
we bought extended warrenty from Good Sam on new 2009 HR, we had a couple of small claims, we paid $2000 100 ded. would not do it again on a new MH.Good luck
we did the same 09 HR ambassador would not do it next time
dcfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:44 AM   #62

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfd View Post

we did the same 09 HR ambassador would not do it next time
I think you said that before. LOL
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:57 AM   #63

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Extended Warranties, Service Contracts or what ever you want to call them...

No one should forget that, in effect, they are insurance policies. We all buy insurance and we buy that because something MIGHT happen. I have NEVER made an auto claim (other than windshield crack) in all my life. I wonder how much I have "lost" to them? Yes, every state requires it so I don't have a choice but given that, I still would.

EWs are exactly that. You are betting that you have a need to use it to protect yourself from the catastrophic events. You are hedging against disaster. You are weighing the potential financial risks of an expensive covered repair.

Now...I am not debating the good vs the bad service contract companies because I have seen both. One went bankrupt and the other has provided excellent service.

FOR ME...it has been a break even so far. I have gotten back about what I have paid.

FOR ME...I prefer to have the insurance policy to moderate my exposure to large repair bills. For others, I can appreciate their approaches such as a monthly "escrow" for such things. However, I don't know that I can esrow enough money for a blown tranny or engine and enjoy life. I'll be honest, for ME a blown engine and/or tranny could be a disaster...that is why I opt for a service contract.

BTW...I don't think I am running on a shoe string budget either. And...if over the next few years of my service contract I can escrow $30K or more for major disasters...I might change my mind.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:56 PM   #64

Sky Boss that is my rationale too. With the cost of a new replacement Cummins or Cat engine approaching $37,000 it just made sense to me.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome