Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2012, 12:32 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Extended warranty.

Have a 2007 winnebago j-35 with 28,000.00 miles on it. I am thinking of purchasing an extended warranty on it. Any advise on when things start to go bad or break, is it a good thing to buy?
Rsanchez24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2012, 01:33 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You'll get a lot of opinions for and against. Should you decide to pursue a policy, I would suggest contacting Wholesale Warranties (800) 939-2806. They will take their time explaining the policies available and answer all your questions, with absolutely no high pressure sales tactics.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:40 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsanchez24 View Post
Have a 2007 winnebago j-35 with 28,000.00 miles on it. I am thinking of purchasing an extended warranty on it. Any advise on when things start to go bad or break, is it a good thing to buy?
I have the Good Sam CSP extended warranty. So far it has paid for one item, and didn't on another.
My Back Up Camera went out on a trip to NC. So I decided to replace the system rather than piece meal it. Even though I didn't get prior approval, which is mandatory, they still gave me a refund. On the other hand my muffler developed a leak and needed replacing which was not a covered part.
I want the warranty to cover the big items, a Diesel Motor, generator or levelers , just to mention a few, are very expensive, makes me sleep alot better.
runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:21 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
One thing to remember is that the service policies (not "warranties" by law) are written to make the company money, not to pay out more than they take in.
They're betting you don't have any claims so they make money. You're betting you have enough claims to break even or "make money". The insurance company won't stay in business if they pay out more than they take in so most buyers lose, a few do "win". If the customers "win" too much the company simply folds up and you're left with a worthless piece of paper.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:28 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
I am on my third RV, two trailers and now a diesel pusher. I have purchased extended warranties from the dealer for each one. I buy used RVs usually at about 4-6 years old and like the peace of mind the warranty gives me.

Thus far, each warranty has paid well. While I am not trying to get my money back on both trailers I came out ahead. With the diesel coach after 18 months I am about 50% into the warranty. Mainly do to the generac diesel generator. The coach has few problems that I handeled myself. At this point, with two years left, If I have any problem at all it will be close to even money.

Mine included 5 years of coachnet and 5 years of tire replacement. This being my first coach, I was wanting some peace of mind. The dealer is involved in my warranty and I will not go that route the next time. I will want complete independence from the dealer. That said, I am not dissatisfied.

Dave
Dave1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:45 PM   #6

You sort of have to play the odds. Can you fix everything or nothing. Is your RV high tech with lots of expensive hydraulics, multiple expensive TVs, electronics, etc.? Are you a full timer or occasional weekender? Do you drive a thousand miles a year on smooth roads or 50,000 miles a year on rough roads? Does the forum here discuss a lot of expensive problems with your particular RV, or none? I figure if my use is much more and expensive than the typical RVer, it may pay for itself. I do and it has and more. Mine is Camping World's and I think they have nearly 100 locations I can go with no deductible. I can go elsewhere and pay $50 deductible.
Damon Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:04 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

If you have to ask when things start to break, you have obviously had a very good experience so far. Things break when they feel like it - often starting with Day 1, Othertimes, you may get a honeymoon of months or years. I had a rash of electronic and air suspension problems in years 3 and 4, but now things seem to have settled out, though there are still things that need repair every year. Your mileage may vary.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:57 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Rsanchez24,
If you have had the coach for a few years, you know the coach. For me, this means the risk should be lower than if you were just acquiring the coach and did not know its' history. If you've had the coach and are comfortable with its' history, consider not purchasing the service contract. If the coach is new to you, consider making the purchase.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:31 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD
Hi Rsanchez24,
If you have had the coach for a few years, you know the coach. For me, this means the risk should be lower than if you were just acquiring the coach and did not know its' history. If you've had the coach and are comfortable with its' history, consider not purchasing the service contract. If the coach is new to you, consider making the purchase.
Just got the coach in February, and June we leave for a month on the road, leaving charleston , sc to California and back. Think I might get it.
Rsanchez24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:14 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I just purchased Good Sam extended service plan, for a piece of mind.
oh no is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:27 PM   #11

I bought a 30' Winnebago new in 2005 and in the first coupla years we had a ton of issues....next 5 years......Zip! As the other folks said earlier, know the history and the stuff that fails usually fail within the first coupla years. IMHO and through some experience....
Snoopkat is offline   Reply With Quote