Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2013, 07:41 PM   #1

Extended Warranty

Ok,so we bought a 2007 Bounder, gas 35ft, only 14,000 miles, very clean. I'm thinking though that an extended warranty would be a smart investment. I'd be grateful for any input and or recommendations. I know it's a minefield so any help will be much appreciated. Thank you.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2013, 09:08 PM   #2

I normally don't buy extended warranty's for anything I buy, our safari had only 15,000 miles when we purchased it. The salesman tried to sell us one stating the cost of engine or tranny replacement. However with the low miles and my tinkerability I thought it was to expensive. Then you throw in a DW and her piece of mind We negotiated a fare price and we purchased one. Read what is covered and what the deductable is per visit. Plus if you are financing then it could be in your payments plus interest. Jim

Old 02-20-2013, 09:16 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimandWanda View Post
I normally don't buy extended warranty's for anything I buy, our safari had only 15,000 miles when we purchased it. The salesman tried to sell us one stating the cost of engine or tranny replacement. However with the low miles and my tinkerability I thought it was to expensive. Then you throw in a DW and her piece of mind We negotiated a fair price and we purchased one. Read what is covered and what the deductable is per visit. Plus if you are financing then it could be in your payments plus interest. Jim
If you finance the service policy (they're not a "warranty" by law in most states), then you could be paying for it long after it's expired or you traded/sold the rig plus that could double it's already excessive price.
Besides, do you really want to buy a rig that the salesman thinks will fall apart or break that soon?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:20 PM   #4

Check out the Good Sam program. I bought a 2002 MACA and it came with a 2 year Gold Plan. I just put in a new ABS module and had new springs put on the rear levelers. Totalled about $ 2000, less my $ 500 deductible. They were pretty fair, but if they require an independent inspector, make sure you are present at the inspection to document what they have found and what observations they make. I had reason to dispute something that the inspector said simply because I was there.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:25 PM   #5

Another person asked similar questions on another post. I would guess many people are reluctant to buy extended warranties on products such as TV's, Appliances, the CD player at WalMart....but in my opinion on a Motorhome that is out of warranty, I am going to do it and in fact have. I purchased an 08 DP Fleetwood last year and purchased a warranty. I negotiated with the dealer and they paid for half.
I have used the Extended Warranty Twice since then and it has paid for itself.
A tow alone could run more than $500. Mine last week was $600 Covered by Warranty. It could be alot of small stuff that adds up or a bigger fix. Let's face it, repair costs for RV owners is not for the "meek".
My warranty is 48 months. Once I get that far along, Im looking for an upgrade in Coaches. Just my opinion!
Old 02-23-2013, 08:05 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
We had one on our 2001 HR Endeavor for about 1.5 years....that's until something happened.

We had a hydraulic leveler failure and went round and round with Good Sams about replacing it (had the Gold Plan). This included getting a certified RV mechanic involved, etc. The reason (excuse) for denying the claim was the company said the failure was caused by an external item....ie. dirt.

Yep...the dirty piston on the leveler cause the entire thing to fail however dirt was not covered. What was odd was that the bright, shiny leveler piston sure didn't look dirty to anyone involved and the sealing ring was greased as per the owners manual.

Needless to say we now save the cost of the warranty and pay out of pocket for these items. The warranty was promptly cancelled and IMHO these things may be providing people with a false sense of security because the war begins when a claim begins.
SpursMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:59 AM   #7

Having sold service contracts, I can attest to the fact that they are mostly a waste of money. Take the money you would spend on the contract and put it in the bank. You'll be self-insured.

Soon, there'll be plenty of posters here that tell how they thought they were covered but the SC only paid a fraction of the costs. And, of course, you'll hear from several where the SC paid for itself with one claim. It's a crap shoot. The SC companies are not in the business to help you, but to make a profit.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:29 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Druidbar,
Welcome to iRV2. Because it is a new to you coach, consider making the service contract purchase. On complex purchases, I purchase the service contract. Over the years I've come out close to even on the financial side. However, for me, the peace of mind is worth the purchase. Read the contract, understand the process. Most importantly, understand what you must do (preventative maintenance documentation) to keep the contract valid.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi Druidbar,
Welcome to iRV2. Because it is a new to you coach, consider making the service contract purchase. On complex purchases, I purchase the service contract. Over the years I've come out close to even on the financial side. However, for me, the peace of mind is worth the purchase. Read the contract, understand the process. Most importantly, understand what you must do (preventative maintenance documentation) to keep the contract valid.
Thanks, it's a bit of a minefield isn't it, I have no idea until I close the deal (no finance) how much these contracts cost and what sort of deal I can squeeze from the the Dealer. If they don't give me a free 30 day warranty I'll walk anyway.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Having sold service contracts, I can attest to the fact that they are mostly a waste of money. Take the money you would spend on the contract and put it in the bank. You'll be self-insured.

Soon, there'll be plenty of posters here that tell how they thought they were covered but the SC only paid a fraction of the costs. And, of course, you'll hear from several where the SC paid for itself with one claim. It's a crap shoot. The SC companies are not in the business to help you, but to make a profit.
Thank you, I've never ever bought extended warranty on anything so I'm well ahead of the game anyway,it's the big numbers for repairs to RV's that bother me,but if they do their best not to pay wars the point?
Old 02-23-2013, 02:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpursMVP View Post
We had one on our 2001 HR Endeavor for about 1.5 years....that's until something happened.

We had a hydraulic leveler failure and went round and round with Good Sams about replacing it (had the Gold Plan). This included getting a certified RV mechanic involved, etc. The reason (excuse) for denying the claim was the company said the failure was caused by an external item....ie. dirt.

Yep...the dirty piston on the leveler cause the entire thing to fail however dirt was not covered. What was odd was that the bright, shiny leveler piston sure didn't look dirty to anyone involved and the sealing ring was greased as per the owners manual.

Needless to say we now save the cost of the warranty and pay out of pocket for these items. The warranty was promptly cancelled and IMHO these things may be providing people with a false sense of security because the war begins when a claim begins.
Thank you, that's the problem as I see it, by the time the dealer gets his cut and the Insurance Co make their profit how much is left to cover claims?
I'm thinking bank the premium each month and basically self insure.
I'm closing the deal ext week (no financing) but no one at the dealer will give me any idea how much the coverage will cost etc.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogSolo View Post
Another person asked similar questions on another post. I would guess many people are reluctant to buy extended warranties on products such as TV's, Appliances, the CD player at WalMart....but in my opinion on a Motorhome that is out of warranty, I am going to do it and in fact have. I purchased an 08 DP Fleetwood last year and purchased a warranty. I negotiated with the dealer and they paid for half.
I have used the Extended Warranty Twice since then and it has paid for itself.
A tow alone could run more than $500. Mine last week was $600 Covered by Warranty. It could be alot of small stuff that adds up or a bigger fix. Let's face it, repair costs for RV owners is not for the "meek".
My warranty is 48 months. Once I get that far along, Im looking for an upgrade in Coaches. Just my opinion!
Thank you, I'm pretty much thinking the same way, one of the problems I see though is that the Dealer (Le Masa) might not want to deal as I'm not financing and they cant hide roll the cost into the payment, I have to write a check which is real numbers. I've asked around and many folks have suggested going through Good Sam or similar rather than the dealer.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
If you finance the service policy (they're not a "warranty" by law in most states), then you could be paying for it long after it's expired or you traded/sold the rig plus that could double it's already excessive price.
Besides, do you really want to buy a rig that the salesman thinks will fall apart or break that soon?
My RV that I'm picking up next week as only 14,000 on it, that's going to be my argument.....don't you think it will last? If I don't get at east a 30 day full warranty with the deal I'll walk anyway..plenty of RV's for sale out there.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:55 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Druidbar,
It is lack of use not abuse that is the killer of most motor coaches.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote