Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2013, 11:03 AM   #1

Extended Warranty

Buying first motorhome (2007 Pace Arrow 36D) and have been shopping for extended warranty. Does anyone have recommendation? Appreciate advice on good/bad experience. Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2013, 01:34 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
First, know what you're dealing with. On a 2007 coach you have no warranty, so regardless of what you or they call it, do NOT buy an extended warranty. What you should buy is a service contract. Big difference. This will be a binding contract, underwritten by an insurance company. This is good.

I purchased from Wholesale Warranties. My contract is underwritten by American Bankers Insurance, and administered by Allegiance Administrators, of Ohio. One year ago I paid a little over a thousand per year for a four year contract. To date, the contract has paid for about $3600 in repair of two failed devices. Some will tell you to just put the money in the bank and self-insure. You can do your own math, considering a $10K transmission or a $20K engine.

The important thing is to buy their best comprehensive coverage. This will cost you a little more, but minimizes the administrator's ability to deny coverage. The less expensive plans only cover items that are specifically listed. In the comprehensive contract, the policy covers everything, except what is specifically excluded, which usually includes things that wear, like rubber seals, belts, fluids, etc.

Also, be sure to have Roadside Assistance. I unequivocally recommend CoachNet. Again, buy one of their better packages.

Good Luck!

JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:20 PM   #3

I just bought a 2005 Panther and purchased an XtraRide policy because I don't have a lot of service history. I did have the fluids tested so I know what the motor and trans look like.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:32 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
First, know what you're dealing with. On a 2007 coach you have no warranty, so regardless of what you or they call it, do NOT buy an extended warranty. What you should buy is a service contract. Big difference. This will be a binding contract, underwritten by an insurance company. This is good.

I purchased from Wholesale Warranties. My contract is underwritten by American Bankers Insurance, and administered by Allegiance Administrators, of Ohio. One year ago I paid a little over a thousand per year for a four year contract. To date, the contract has paid for about $3600 in repair of two failed devices. Some will tell you to just put the money in the bank and self-insure. You can do your own math, considering a $10K transmission or a $20K engine.

The important thing is to buy their best comprehensive coverage. This will cost you a little more, but minimizes the administrator's ability to deny coverage. The less expensive plans only cover items that are specifically listed. In the comprehensive contract, the policy covers everything, except what is specifically excluded, which usually includes things that wear, like rubber seals, belts, fluids, etc.

Also, be sure to have Roadside Assistance. I unequivocally recommend CoachNet. Again, buy one of their better packages.

Good Luck!
I'm very interested in JFXG's comments on Wholesale Warranties program. I've gone on line and filled out their form for a quote and they returned a call in less than 20 minutes.--a positive sign when a company promptly returns a business call. Has anyone else been covered by WW? Any feedback would be helpful.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:45 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Extended Warranty and Service Contract/policy are often used interchangeably whether it's technically correct or not I don't know. They've all looked the same to me in that regard.

We had an Easy Care policy for six years and were very happy with them. I also hear that Xtra Ride is good.

Best of luck.

rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:46 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeyaarv View Post
I'm very interested in JFXG's comments on Wholesale Warranties program. I've gone on line and filled out their form for a quote and they returned a call in less than 20 minutes.--a positive sign when a company promptly returns a business call. Has anyone else been covered by WW? Any feedback would be helpful.
WW been good to me so far!
Old 08-21-2013, 03:50 PM   #7

I have no complaint with XtraRide. Got a three year in purchase deal on MH and added a fourth year in closing deal (8/2011
).
buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:19 PM   #8

is any one familiar with ACC Warranties? I have been using Good Sam without problems, just exploring alternatives as I get new unit.