Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2014, 10:51 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill2 View Post
We purchased the Wholesale Warranties on our 2014 Tiffin Phaeton. In answer to the question above about why buy it now. The earlier you purchase the warrantie the cheeper the price because they don't have as long to cover the unit. Also most of the problems you have will be in the first year which is covered by the manufacture warranty.
Sorry but that logic makes absolutely no sense to me... But then again it's not my money and as they say one is borne everyday.
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2014, 02:06 PM   #16

Wink ACC Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedcesarano View Post
We will be pick up our Fleetwood Bounder 33C tomorrow.

We are looking at several extended warranties.

Please give me feedback on the following companies. My biggest concern is will they be around for the long term:

Good Sam Warranty

ACC RV Warranty

USA travel Care

Wholesale Warranties

I cancelled an ACC warranty last summer for not paying claims, and am still waiting for payment on refund and claims. Went with Wholesale Warranty as replacement.
Paul - 04 Endeavor
PaulEnglund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:49 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed6713 View Post
...The general advice is to take the money you will spend on the warranty and put in the bank in an account called "RV Repairs"
Most likely you will come out ahead in the long run...
After checking the prices, we figured we could pay for a lot of repairs by saving the EW premiums.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:01 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I consider EWs as being in the same league as any insurance. It is a wealth protection tool. If all you have happen is "nickel and dime" stuff, then socking away EW premiums in you own personal escrow is fine. The problem comes when you have a major expenditure.

I got a 4 year policy with WW for $6,000. In the first year they have paid out $4,300 in claims. Will there be more? maybe, maybe not. That is part of the gamble. BTW...WW (placed with Pro Tech) has been incredibly easy to work with. Not a single fuss over my claims.

Who here can "escrow" a tranny fix and say they were ahead compared to an EW? I'm certain there are a few that have the where with all to drop a tranny, fix it and all that jazz. In those cases, maybe they can save money. I am NOT capable of that, an engine overhaul, or fixing any other major mechanical system.

There is NO WAY I can see it a winning situation to escrow money for big ticket items like major systems. Anyone saying they can save money paying out of pocket for a blown engine vs an EW is a little coo coo. OTOH, I do understand those that feel it is a lot of money for something they might not ever use. Sounds like auto insurance to me.

So...in the end, it is a calculated tactic. Pay for a service that you may never use but if it bails you out of a major pickle...SWEEEEEEEET! I kinda like the feeling that I have some backup in case of a catastrophic service event.

YMMV.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 03:29 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
When we bought our C class (used-ex rental) we had the foresight to purchase a bumper to bumper extended warranty. The cost was aprox. $1500 for a 7 year plan. Turns out , it was money well spent. Insurance policies are 'prepare for the worst,expect the best'. 3 claims to date so far with costs exceeding the initial outlay , and covered without a problem from the insurer -(Cornerstone). The policy is also transferrable to the next RV , which for us will be an A class soon.
Donkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 04:44 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Hello Skyboss,
You said: "I got a 4 year policy with WW for $6,000. In the first year they have paid out $4,300 in claims."
Will you share name of company and web site?
Thanks
RV4Me4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:25 AM   #21

I would NEVER buy an extended policy from a dealer. They make a lot of profit off these at the expense of the buyer. It's like all the extras a car dealer tries to talk you into. After market is always cheaper. We went with Wholesale Warranties and are very pleased, especially after trying to deal with a claim when we had Good Sam.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:31 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV4Me4Life View Post
Hello Skyboss,
You said: "I got a 4 year policy with WW for $6,000. In the first year they have paid out $4,300 in claims."
Will you share name of company and web site?
Thanks
Wholesale Warrantees and they placed us with Pro Tech. My policy is kinda the "kitchen sink" with towing and tire. It is also an exclusionary policy and covers both non-covered items causing damage to covered items and visa-versa.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 03:28 PM   #23

Extended warranties are big money makers for them and the dealer selling them. Ever wonder why??? It's because they know that the odds are in their favor. It's like playing the slots. Most of them pay back 93 to 97 cents on the dollar, but they are still a poor investment. I have never bought an EW in 55 years of driving, but that's just me. I would rather spend my money where I know I will get something.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:07 PM   #24

I guess it's different strokes for different folks. There was a time when I could perform most maintenance myself. However, now that I use a cane to get around, I feel the need to have some protection for motor home break downs. It is going to happen. I purchased mine last August and have already had it in three times for warranty work. So far, Good Sam has paid out about $2,000 for maintenance since last August. I paid $5500 for my transferable warranty that covers me for 4 years or 48,000 miles. Financially, I am still behind, but when I leave next month on my trip from Florida to California, my worst case scenario is $100 out of pocket, including towing, from anywhere, for mechanical breakdowns. My opinion is that there are many things that can break on my unit. It is worth the peace of mind to know that I am covered if the engine blows up somewhere around Moab, Utah. I have had no problems with my Good Sam coverage. They have paid directly to the maintenance shop on each occasion. I just paid the deductible.
jlabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:52 PM   #25

Quick comment on Wholesale Warr-----

I went with them when I bought a used gas MH couple yrs back.....Just sold the MH 4 weeks ago and cancelled the policy.........Refund check was in my hands in 2 weeks......Not bad when hearing about other companies.....

I had one claim (chassis a/c compressor) ......Paid as advertised, about $1000 when all was done........

So I paid in about $1000 while I had it and used it for the same amount..got my refund in a timely manner and was satisfied overall......

That said, I have decided to forego an ext warr on the new MH and hope for the best.........Like life ins, you only win if you have a claim......
sd1209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:57 PM   #26

Workhorse Chassis Owner
As RayIN said.......get the seals and gaskets rider.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:16 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Buy a good exclusionary policy, and pay a bit extra for consequential damage coverage. This will give you optimal, broad coverage, and tip the coverage odds in your favor.
Can someone explain what is meant by "consequential damage" coverage? Is that the noncovered-part-damages-a-covered-part-and-vice-versa coverage?
VAParrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 05:06 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes. That's it. Having this breadth of coverage broadens the scope in your favor.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote