Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2014, 10:10 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Extended warranty

We will be pick up our Fleetwood Bounder 33C tomorrow.

We are looking at several extended warranties.

Please give me feedback on the following companies. My biggest concern is will they be around for the long term:

Good Sam Warranty

ACC RV Warranty

USA travel Care

Wholesale Warranties
Tedcesarano is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2014, 10:12 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Follow up. ACC has the best overall price and benefit package. So they are now first on our list.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Follow up. ACC has the best overall price and benefit package. So they are now first on our list.
Last I checked they had an F rating with the BBB for not paying claims. Others have indicated issues with getting them to pay claims, or even respond about a warranty claim. The fact they wont produce a copy of the contract prior to you signing up should be a huge red flag. They just refer you to their online brochure which is not a contract.

Maybe they cleaned up their act, maybe not. Be very thorough when doing your due diligence with any company.

After doing much research we went with Wholesale Warranties. Time will tell if we made the right choice. I think we did.
dondar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:55 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedcesarano View Post
Well, if you're going by price, never mind.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:51 PM   #5

Unhappy

A few comments from Consumer Reports:

Extended warranties: A high-priced gamble

• Sixty-five percent of those surveyed said they spent significantly more for the contract than they got back in repair-cost savings. Respondents said their extended warranty cost them $1,000 on average while providing an average benefit of $700. That means the average loss was $300. A big reason: 42 percent of extended warranties in our survey were not used, in most cases because the vehicle didn't need repairs or the standard manufacturer's warranty sufficed.
  • About one in five respondents said they had a net savings. In general, extended warranties were a better deal for those who bought more troublesome cars, scoring lower in our reliability Ratings. When we looked at net costs by car make, only owners of Pontiacs and Jeeps broke even because on average they had covered repairs that equaled the warranty cost.
  • Only 38 percent of buyers said they were highly satisfied with their purchase, which puts extended warranties near the bottom of dozens of services rated by Consumer Reports, including home, auto and health insurance.
  • Twelve percent of buyers reported trouble getting repairs when they used their extended warranty, because of contract terms that excluded coverage for the needed repair or parts, or because of disputes with the claims administrator.

The general advice is to take the money you will spend on the warranty and put in the bank in an account called "RV Repairs"
Most likely you will come out ahead in the long run.

However, if you want to buy one, there are three critical things to do before you sign.
1) Read the fine print.
2) Read it again.
3) Use your magnifying glass and read it once more.

Companies make money by denying claims, not by paying them.

ed
ed6713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:31 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Before I answer your question... Does your 2014 Bounder, come with any warranty?
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:05 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Sorry to be misleading in my comments, but price is not our first consideration. The overall quality of the company is paramount.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:11 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yes, 1 year on coach Fleetwood and 3 years on drive train Ford. La Mesa RV offers USA and they "say" that if USA goes under La Mesa will pay claims. I am checking on the insurance company that actually backs USA travel care. Thank you all again for the help. We appreciate your support.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:12 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
If you have at least one year "bumper to bumper" and 3 years on the drive train, why buy an ESP now? If you submit a claim to the after market insurer, they will defer the claim to the manufacturer's warranty anyway. Also, maintenance items are not covered in an ESP, so IMO, there is no gain for you at this point to buy one. If you can think of one, please let me know... If you are hell bent on wasting your money, I did a lot of research on this topic last year. In my case I had a "new to me" 2003 coach. I would definitely NOT recommend ACC. Good Sam is pretty pricy with a high deductible, but they seem to be easy to work with on claims... especially if you go to Camping World to get the work done. After not buying an ESP last year, AND not needing one, I am trying one out this year with Wholesale Warranty. My monthly payment is low enough, my deductible is low ($200), I can pay monthly (without auto deduct), and can cancel anytime...
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 02:27 PM   #10

We have had Wholesale Warranties for the last two years and have nothing but positive things to say. We have a 2007 40 ft Phaeton and I have never been a fan of any extended warranty. We were going up to Alaska for 4 months and I didn't want to chance it without one. We have had multiple claims and all our interaction with the company and repair facilities has been positive. It was well worth it and the peace of mind it gave me was worth every penny. I think it has paid for itself, but I haven't been keeping track.
Pa Uon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 04:22 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I bought a four year service contract almost two years ago when we bought our Newmar. So far it has paid two claims easily and has almost paid for itself. I bought my four-year contract from Wholesale Warranties, who seem to be reputable brokers. It is underwritten by Bankers Insurance of Florida (highly rated by AM Best), and administered by Allegiance Administrators. Its the administrator that you'll deal with directly, and I've found Allegiance to be very easy to deal with.

My reasoning addressed the basic question of age. I bought a 2002 coach that was fully equipped with original appliances and devices. So, in my case, with a coachload of 10 year-old appliances, the question was what are the chances that I'll go 4 years without any kind of failure at all?

In the past 18 months my contract has replaced a roof ac/heat unit ($2000) and the engine mounted ac compressor ($1800).

I would think you shouldn't need a service contract while covered by a mfgr warranty. But if the mfgr warranty appears shaky, a svc contract may be prudent. My advice is that if you buy a contract, don't go cheap. The "bargains" are the ones that that will leave you hanging. Buy a good exclusionary policy, and pay a bit extra for consequential damage coverage. This will give you optimal, broad coverage, and tip the coverage odds in your favor.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:56 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thank you all for the great feedback. We are taking delivery on the 2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C tomorrow. We had our walk thought today.

We decided on the dealer policy with USA and added the consequential cover as recommended. The policy is an exclusionary policy.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:31 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We purchased the Wholesale Warranties on our 2014 Tiffin Phaeton. In answer to the question above about why buy it now. The earlier you purchase the warrantie the cheeper the price because they don't have as long to cover the unit. Also most of the problems you have will be in the first year which is covered by the manufacture warranty.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:28 AM   #14

I recommend adding the "gaskets and seals" rider. Keep in mind the vast majority of sellers are merely brokers for the actual extended service company.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote