Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2014, 10:39 AM   #1

Extended Warranty

We are new members and new to owning a motorhome. Infact, we haven't take possession yet because it won't be into our dealer from the manufacturer until next week. After reading posts on whether or not to purchase an extended warranty, we decided to follow through with the purchase of one even though our motorhome will be new.
My question to you that have had extended warranties: What do we look for as far as coverage goes? I have been told to look at what the warranty doesn't cover rather than what is does cover?
Next question: I am sure that there are better companies than others providing extended warranties: Which companies provide the best service as far as coverage goes?
Thanks for any expertise advice you can give us.
Cheri and Bill
Clev51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2014, 11:03 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Your motorhome manufacturer's warranty should cover ALL issues for first year at the very least. Let the coach builder' Customer Support staff deal with any appliance issues. Typically, your chassis manufacturer will cover chassis for longer than that. You should have no need for extended warranty for at least a year. After that, choose best how you want to pay for repairs. For myself, I chose to NOT buy an extended warranty.

FMCA Local Chapter Secretary - Bay Area TravelerS (BATS)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 03:04 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Clev51,
Welcome to iRV2. I purchase a service contract (that's what they really are) on all my vehicles. Things to look for are:
1. Who deals with the service contract company? If the answer is the dealer service dept., that is good.
2. The service contract should start at the expiration of the manufacturer's warranty.
3. The service contract should be bumper to bumper, roof to ground. No exceptions except for normal maintenance items.

CAUTION: You will be required to prove you did the recommended maintenance on any item where there is a claim.

What one is purchasing is insurance and knowing the fixed cost of unplanned repairs for a fixed time.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 04:06 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cornerstone seems to be a pretty good policy - a couple friends have it and are very satisfied with the price and how well the insurer handles claims. They bought it through Lazydays RV - I don't know who else sells them. Cornerstone has a website but doesn't market direct.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 10:02 PM   #5

There are more threads on this subject. The ext warr starts at the end of the factory one but may provide some benefits before. I'm a former car dealer and have great service from Cornerstone. I'm sure you can get a better plan and price if you buy it when new rather than after the factory warr is up. The risk is too high not to buy one.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 10:13 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
CAUTION: You will be required to prove you did the recommended maintenance on any item where there is a claim.
And then there is the case where a man had a transmission fail, the insurance company asked for his maintenance records which he provided. They found that he had gone over the recommended ENGINE oil change by 750 miles and denied the TRANSMISSION repairs due to that.

And there are lots of cases where the companies have claimed "preexisting condition" and denied coverage.

We self insure and save a bunch of money by doing so, however we do have money in the bank to fall back on in case of a need to replace the Cummins engine or Allison. Lots of people don't have that luxury.

It's all a matter of how much "exposure" you're comfortable with.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 07:54 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
A contract that is "exclusionary" is what you want. Also "consequential damage" option is what you want. The "gatekeeper/administrator" can be a problem. They are paid to decline claims. If you can find a company that is the admin for its own contract, that might be a plus. The contract price might be negotiable....does not hurt to ask.
Old 12-20-2014, 05:29 AM   #8

Since you're aleady covered because it's a new coach, I wouldn't worry about an extended warranty now. And I certainly wouldn't purchase one from a dealer. They're big money makers for them. Wait and shop around for one, it'll save you some money. When your ready, check out www.wholesalewarranties.com
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 08:43 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
...Since you're aleady covered because it's a new coach, I wouldn't worry about an extended warranty now. And I certainly wouldn't purchase one from a dealer. They're big money makers for them...
Agree.
All the appliances and equipment will have separate warranties. It works best to call them directly. Plus, they are all different...on my coach, as examples, Power Gear's warranty of leveling system is two years, Dometic's refer is three years on parts and freight and two years on labor, Carefree's awnings are four years, Cummins is five years.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 05:24 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Lets see - I could spend $2800 a year for warranty which may or may not pay for repair. OR I can self insure and work some magic to save money.
After four years I would have paid over $10K for the repairs that I have made which so far have cost $7K to include replaced lift and injector pump 4K, alternator 1k plus items which would not be covered like belt, brakes, dryer, synthetic tranny oil change, coolant change which did for less than 2K.

So I feel I am ahead of the game by many thousands. I used the same principle for insurance on my Florida home. Self insurance over a period of 10 years will be a $40K savings.
Old 12-21-2014, 05:14 AM   #11

[QUOTE=ladagobago;2351704]Lets see - I could spend $2800 a year for warranty which may or may not pay for repair. OR I can self insure and work some magic to save money.

Holy cow! Who quoted you $2800 a year? My total for 4yrs. was only $4100 w/$150 ded., and unlimited mileage thru XtraRide.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote