Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Does anyone have any claims experience with other companies ??

Would you furnish name and contac
How much ? 1 25.00%
What's covered ? 3 75.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2006, 11:30 PM   #15

To; Justme13,

The notice I recieved from GS for 2nd of 3 year renewal shows $1,946.90 annual or $486.25 quarterly plus a $5.00 charge. My plan has a $100.00 deductible.

My rig was out of manufacturers warranty and this may explain higher costs.

Yes, in Mass. we have to carry liability insurance and option vehicle coverage. Not very good because it is an auto policy with coverage scaled to rig value,worth.

I will be calling Warranty Experts today , but I would like to have others to compare.

Thanks for the replies, I know of 2 other locals awaiting info.
Justme13, check that quote from good sam, if it really that low ,they are piggy-backing on your manufacturers warranty. Let me know. Thanks
AIME==== AJBJRVERS=====
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2006, 12:50 AM   #16
adj

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wa0mqe:
My Good Sam Gold Plan is for 7 yrs or 75,000 miles. It was spendy about $4,500, but I thought it was worth it. I think you can only get the Gold Plan from a Dealer when you purchase a coach.

I haven't had to use it yet, but then I pay $1050 a year for the coach vehicle insurance and haven't had to use it yet either. So when some say they don't think extended warranty's are worth it, I guess if they weren't required by law to have vehicle insurance they wouldn't carry it either. $4500 for 7 years is $643 per year, my vehicle insurance is $1050 a year so at 7 years that's $7350. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's obvious I don't have a clue as to pricing of extended warranties. My earlier comments about saving $30000 were way out of line.

04 Lapalma 33'
adj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 03:46 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

The first x year policy on a new RV is less expensive because many of the repairs will be covered by manufacturer warranty - probably all of them in the first year and many major expenses (engine, transmission, fridge, etc) for the first three years. Thereafter the price/year goes up substantially.

Policies for diesels tend to cost more than gas rigs, probably because the powertrain components are so expensive to replace or repair. And high end coaches with lots of electronics, power awnings, complex systems, will cost a bit more too. Purchase price has an effect as well. For the heck of it I got online GS quotes on my rig using two different "purchase prices" (one the sticker price and the other what I really paid) and the quotes differed by about $75/year.

GS quoted me $1050/year for three years on my almost 3 year old diesel coach. Engine & tranny still have several months of warranty left too.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 02:16 PM   #18

To; ALL; re;Extended warranty quote,

Received quote from Jason at Warranty Experts for my 02 DP.

3 yr., 30.000 miles --$3,287.00

4 yrs, 45,000 miles--$3,654.00

% yrs. 50,000 miles--- $4,587.00

All have a $100.00 deductible and time and mileage start now and not original service date.

Looks good, have to see how payment is made.

Looking for more info from those who have had claims experience with Warranty Experts.

Thanks for any and all info.

=== AIME==== AJBJRVERS===
Old 12-11-2006, 02:38 PM   #19

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RV Roamer:
. Engine & tranny still have several months of warranty left too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gary - unless I'm missing something you still something close to two years left on your unit - both engine and tranny are 5 yrs.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:50 PM   #20

Mid Atlantic Campers
ABJB, That sounds a whole lot better then GS's deal by far. I have to also pass on the GS policy simply because I do not trust them when it is time to buy the warrenty after the first 4 years are over. i'll pay up front for a full 7 yrs/ 100k, warranty experts said $3278 thats without tires, w/tires ad $400. The underwriter is American resources / RV Shield who is an A+ company. When it really comes down to it, who can you trust

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 01:35 AM   #21

To; Ecker;

Yes, engine and tranny are covered for 50,000 miles or 5 years.

My 5 years ends 2/12/07, but I have less than 23,000 miles on rig.

I'm waiting to contact Warranty Experts to find out how premium has to be paid. I think the entire premium must be paid when starting contract. Lump sum!! We will see.

Anyone had claims experience with Warranty Experts???

Thanks== AIME===== AJBJRVERS===
Old 12-12-2006, 03:42 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Gary - unless I'm missing something you still something close to two years left on your unit - both engine and tranny are 5 yrs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right you are - I must have been thinking of the 3/36k powertrain warranty of our previous rig.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:03 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Much of the fear about extended warranty claims is exaggerated and unnecessary. I've been a moderator here and on another RV site for many years and heard lots of tales of woe, but almost every one involved somebody who did not follow the claim procedures or did not understand what is/is not covered. I can think of only one where it seemed the company had denied coverage for seemingly arbitrary reasons and one where the company had gone out of business. Even the latter one was mostly resolved when another company picked up the policies and agreed to honor them, though with some limitations. I'm not saying there is no need to be cautious, but the risk is nowhere near as great as internet hype would have you believe.

The first thing to remember is that you will get NO SLACK on the claims procedure. Nada. Zip. You must get any & all work pre-authorized.

The second part, what is covered, is a bit trickier, since many owners simply don't comprehend what some of the wording means. The one that gets most people is the stuff about consequential damages and an "internally lubricated part". Cooling system failures that cause a major failure in another component, e.g. transmission, are probably the biggest bugaboo. Water in the transmission or oil in the radiator can cause major damage but may not be fully covered because the engine or tranny damage is "consequential" and not the "failure of an internally lubricated part". Read the warranty carefully and try to understand exactly how things like that are covered (or excluded). Subtle wording differences can make a huge difference.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:20 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
While I'm not sure all extended warranty folks would entertain "offers," it's ALWAYS worth a try . . . it's YOUR money!

For example, just bought a Toyota Tacoma and an extended warranty was first quoted at $1,600. I negotiated it down to $900. Was VERY easy.

Did the same when we bought our MH, but I don't remember the details (have slept too many times since then!)
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 01:21 AM   #25

RE; EXTENDED WARRANTIES;;

After reading actual contracts/policies , I've decided to go with Jason at Warranty Experts.

More coverage at about half the premium of CSP by Good Sam

Anybody doing any other company??

=== AIME=== <span class="ev_code_RED">red</span>
Old 12-19-2006, 03:56 PM   #26

Mid Atlantic Campers
I'm with you AJBJ. Jason and company offer a heck of a deal. Warranty Experts are also my choice.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 05:12 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

I just heard a very negative report on W.E. An acquaintance of mine just made a claim on his policy, purchased thru W.E. several months ago and was told by the Claims Administrator that his policy (contract) number was not valid! Apparently, somewhere along the line his payment to W.E. did not get passed through to the actual insurer and the policy was not activated. A call to W.E. did not illicit much help or even sympathy! I can see how a mistake could have been made, but I have always heard good things about customer service at W.E., so I am astounded by the lack of help from that quarter.

I will post further info on the outcome of this when & if it comes my way, but for right now I have to suggest that any policy holder who has not previously filed a claim should call the claims number to verify that their policy is actually in effect. I plan to do the same.
Old 12-24-2006, 06:56 AM   #28

We just bought a Tour Master and shopped around for extended warranty plans. I know there are many opinions on buy/no buy, good/bad. But a very interesting point is the flexibility on pricing. This is our second MH with the Redex Choice Protection Plan. When I told our dealer that I had gotten competing quotes their price went down from approximately $9,000 to $2,200 for seven years! Charlie