Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2018, 07:47 PM   #1

Extended warranty nightmare

We recently bought a 2004 fleetwood revolution and opted for the (expensive) extended warranty since it was a used coach. While on a trip we got stranded in Arizona at a truck stop when after refueling the coach wouldnt start. After many calls to parts stores, we found a mobile mechanic. The starter had gone out and needed to be replaced. The mobile mechanic ordered one and 2 days later we had it installed.

After we got home we called Campers edge to make a claim. We were told to wait until I had all the paperwork and then call back and get a claim form. I contacted Campers Edge, which is also under the name Warrantech and owned by Amtrust. I was told the starter and labor would not be covered because my first call was not to Campers Edge to get the repair approved.

After explaining numerous times that we were stranded and the trucks and employees were all frustrated because we were stuck in a refueling lane, Becky at Warrantech assured me that the costs I endured would not be covered as the contract states that the repair needs to be authorized by them before any work is done.

My advice with these extended warranties is read the fine print very carefully because if they can find a loophole to not pay the claim they will.
billsincali is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2018, 07:59 PM   #2

Sorry to hear of your problem. While we think of them as insurance, I'm told they do not have to follow the same guidelines as insurance companies.
There have been many posts on irv2 about problems w/ extended warranties. I for one don't believe they are worth the paper they are written on.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:20 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Unfortunately, this is an expensive learning experience. Although I understand why you did what you did, ALWAYS call the extended warranty company for approval prior to having any repairs done.

Sorry to hear about your difficulty with your claim.

Firestone Airbags, Hellwig front/rear Anti-Sway Bars,
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:25 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yep, they have very explicit rules in the contract that MUST be followed or the claim will be denied. Not worth the cost and hastle IMHO.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:36 PM   #5

extended warranty nightmare

They didn’t find a “loophole.” You didn’t comply with the terms of your own service contract!

If you had made only ONE call to Campers Edge (instead several calls to parts stores) they would have found the parts and a repair tech for you and all would be fine.

I’ve had an extended service contract with our motor home for years. They have paid many repair claims over the years, with no problems at all...but you have to comply with the terms of your agreement.

It is YOU who should have read the fine print.
A Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:55 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Extended warranties come in handy
We have used our several times and only paid the deductible. No matter what, I always call them first and follow any instructions provided
Old 01-31-2018, 10:46 PM   #7

Yep, a lesson for sure. Suggest you look into, if you do not have it already, an emergency towing coverage. This would have got you towed to a repair center 'at least' authorized for your coaches mechanical system. While waiting, pull your emergency contacts folder, ane call the EW company and let them know what's going on, and to ask them for guidance... (But do also read and know your contract.).

Done deal now, prepare for the future, and best of luck you will not need it,

Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsincali View Post
My advice with these extended warranties is read the fine print very carefully .
. . .
Good advice regarding any legal document/agreement.
Old 02-01-2018, 03:41 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, an expensive lesson, but the lesson is that you must obey the terms of any contract you agree to, and that includes an insurance policy (contract). To do that, yes you have to read the rules.

While you are studying the RV extended warranty, you might also look at your home and car policies - you may find some things you didn't know there as well.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 03:48 PM   #10

yes, aggravating for SURE! but Contracts don't have 'loop holes', they only have folks who don't read them.

Not to step on your toes, but bashing the 'extended warranty' company because you didn't follow their policy is just as bad as what you 'claim' they did to you.

This also reveals why most of us don't 'buy' extended warranty/service contracts... you forget about them until you find that you 'did something' that now won't be covered because you didn't follow the policy rules, and if you had not purchased it in the first place, you would be way ahead, money wise, paying for repairs yourself... and no 'company' to worry about blaming.

sorry for your situation - it was probably hot, uncomfortable, unnerving, and just dog gone a big aggravation, and to lump more coal on the fire when you called your company!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 04:00 PM   #11

So these extended warranties only work where you have phone service. I remember many times on the road last year where I had no phone service.

I think I would still report your situation to the State Consumer protection bureau...... not that you will get any compensation, but perhaps, someday laws will be changed similar to the Fair Credit Act laws that require bold print for any terms that are often overlooked by the consumer who signs up for any type of insurance or warranty coverage. I'm pretty sure that this happens quite often and the writers of those policies know that, and intentionally use it to deny paying claims.
Old 02-01-2018, 04:30 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I would whole heatedly agree calling the extended warranty number first should be the first step.

I do for piece-of-mind carry an extended warranty on my Tundra from Toyota. In my glove box in a envelope clearly marked for easy grabbing if needed.

Quote:
someday laws will be changed similar to the Fair Credit Act laws that require bold print for any terms that are often overlooked by the consumer who signs up for any type of insurance or warranty coverage. I'm pretty sure that this happens quite often and the writers of those policies know that, and intentionally use it to deny paying claims.
[Mod Edit]

Just recently some airline "Baggage Fee" information when reserving "on-line" has changed / hidden to again keep consumers in the dark. Remember "Business / Profits First" Consumers Second
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 10:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
I would whole heatedly agree calling the extended warranty number first should be the first step.

Then.....

[Mod Edit]

Just recently some airline "Baggage Fee" information when reserving "on-line" has changed / hidden to again keep consumers in the dark. Remember "Business / Profits First" Consumers Second
So which is it? The OP's failure to follow the procedure or the result of the last election? Are you telling me that this didn't happen to anybody between January 2009 and January 2017, or any other particular time in the past?

I bet if you went back through the thousands of previous postings on this topic, I bet you would find that this has been happening for a long, long time, and that is why they are a popular product with dealers. Calling the insurance commissioner or consumer protection will not be of help. The first thing they will tell you is that it is a product replacement contract, not an insurance policy. Our "new to us" S&B house came with a 2 year contract. We didn't buy it, it came with the house and became effective the date of sale. I called about the first three issues, and lo and behold, non were covered. Imagine that...... and they wondered why we refused to extend..
Old 02-01-2018, 11:01 PM   #14

IMO the "Call us first" clause is fair, but refusing to even consider the claim for failure to do so certainly stinks of "Loophole". Yes, the company may have been able to negotiate a lower price with a network of preferred vendors, but why not agree to offer the reduced price they could have gotten to the contract holder? The insurer is not acting in good faith.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
extended warranty, warranty