Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2018, 02:53 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Extended Warranty - Older MH

We have a 1998 Tiffin Allegro Bus with 35K miles on Cummings 330, Freightliner chassis. I had checked once before on extended warranty and the company I checked into said they wouldn't do it because it was too old.
Yesterday I checked with Wholesale Warranties and they said they would. The age of the MH is right on the cutoff. Next year they will only go back to 1999. They recommended a drivetrain warranty, which covers any thing that makes the motorhome go down the road (except the wind). They offer a 3 year plan for a total of $3147 for the 3 years + a one time $450 inspection fee.
Question is "Do I" or Don't I", I have some mixed feelings about it. Any one have experience with this company and/or older motorhomes with low mileage?
Speck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2018, 03:04 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Well, you never know. It's just a gamble. Some folks say their extended warranties have paid for themselves but others not.

We bought our 2002 Windsor in 2012 and it is now 16 years old. We haven't spent even a fraction of the cost you mentioned on any repairs that would have been covered!

I think that if you can find a MH that has a good reputation for quality and reliability and has been well cared for, then you would be better off putting that amount of money into a savings account at the bank to be used only for necessary repairs. JMHO
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 07:40 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It's a dirty, rotten, stinky job, but, someone's got to do it! Our story might frighten you right into the hands of a warranty company.

When we bought our 1998, 70,000 miles DP, for a 3 year 'adventure', all my (obviously limited) research pointed to "the million mile engine" with a sweet grumble. I looked into a warranty, but all I found had the 15 year age limit. I realized that on a vehicle with this age, some pieces & parts would be getting near end of life, so I mentally set aside a large fraction of its purchase price for repairs. Good thing I did, as we still have that engine, but, most of the stuff bolted to it or near it, has been replaced.

Our first few thousand miles were quiet and filled with expected chassis maintenance and updates to the house. Then, while taking the grandkids out for a little overnight spin, the engine intermittently derated and then returned to normal. By the end of that episode and the first year, the turbo, VP44 injection pump, lift pump, and some welded exhaust pieces were replaced. After returning from the following winter snowbird trip, somehow the second of two fuel filters had a crack in its holder. After this year's late summer trip, it has gained a brand new custom made muffler and some associated exhaust components (more weld issues).

But, we still have the engine and it is running very strong. Hopefully it does not have that '53 block' well know to crack, or that wonderful KDP(killer dowel pin), both associated with some of the engines in this year range of the Cummins 5.9L 24V ISB.

Now, I'm waiting to get into the Cummins/Onan facility before our next snowbird trip to see if they really want us to replace 'whatever is that $1700 part' in the QD7500 generator, which runs great, but its A/C power output is not up to spec and has killed two convention/microwave ovens and almost anything else with an electric motor (including the AC), and has left the techs at Onan distributors scratching their heads.

In hindsight, would I have spent $3500 for a warranty up front, if it really would have covered some/most of this? HhMmm? Who am I kidding? Yes, even thrice over, and we'd still be well ahead.

Sorry to be completely transparent and report all of the pain that a few of us encounter. We really have been enjoying our "Hugo", and plan to continue to do so beyond the initial 3 year plan. In fact, in four months, it should have another 5700 miles on the odometer, if Scotty can keep the anti-matter injectors from blowing apart.
gvjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:36 PM   #4

One of the good things about extended warranty repairs is that you can pick the best shops that are used to working with warranty companies, and not worry so much about the price. As noted above, the "little" things can add up, especially over the course of a few years. And it does give some peace of mind to know that the most expensive failures will be covered.

I used Wholesale Warranties, and the thing about their inspection procedure... if they miss something in the inspection, it's not your problem. I wasn't impressed by the thoroughness of the inspection, but on things the warranty would cover, it didn't matter.

Of course, a lot of the chassis, like brakes & shocks and muffler, is probably not covered. So inspect that stuff carefully yourself.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:50 PM   #5

We bought an ESC=Extended Service Contract when we bought this MH because it had been stored in a barn for 8 years, and I just knew things would need replacing or repairing. The 3yr ESC paid for itself, including deductibles,during the contract term.

IF you decide to buy an ESC, be sure to include the gaskets and seals rider. Without this rider, say an engine or transmission gasket fails, any further damage is not covered due to a failed seal or gasket. It's called consequential damage from the failed gasket or seal.
Also, you want to buy an exclusionary contract, it names what is not covered. Inclusionary contracts specify what is covered, this leaves everything not named without coverage. Can you name every part in/on a MH? I sure can't, which is why it is logical to get an exclusionary contract.
My opinion is not necessarily correct for everyone though.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
extended warranty, warranty