Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2015, 05:25 PM   #1

extended warranty/servace agreement

I have been looking into a Good Sam service contract and due to wording it feels like they are looking for ways to NOT pay claims...any one have any input on this?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2015, 11:24 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
rascals, there are two basic types of service contracts- inclusionary and exclusionary. The INclusionary plan specifically lists each individual part of your RV that is protected. If it's not on the list, it's not covered. The EXclusionary plan covers you from the opposite direction. This plan covers the entire RV bumper to bumper, EXCEPT FOR the specific parts listed in the exclusions. In general, the Exclusionary plan offers more comprehensive coverage, and is usually considered a better plan. Also usually more expensive.

You should also check out other providers. Wholesale Warranties is a broker of service contracts. They offer a variety of plans, and have a good reputation in the RV community. There are numerous discussions of this subject on this forum and elsewhere. You can find them with the search function.

JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 01:24 AM   #3

I have the Good Sam plan (make certain you have seals and gasket coverage) and recently had a water pump failure... $1800ish to fix, my deductible $500, they covered the rest. I am having additional work done while things are disassembled but that is my choice and I don't expect them to pay for it, after all it isn't anything that broke...but the fact that much of the labor is covered reduced my out of pocket for some of these tasks (radiator hose replacement etc.).
Old 08-25-2015, 05:30 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I'm going to get flamed... But what the heck... Take the money they want for an extended warranty and save it to cover issues that "may" crop up... If something occurs just pay for it as opposed to arguing with some knucklehead that your refrigerator failure had nothing to do with you being 50 miles late on an engine oil change...
Old 08-25-2015, 05:39 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have Good Sam and will never do it again. Had a step problem that was intermittent. I had to pay twice for them to trouble shoot $500 total. Then on the third time they saw the problem. Did they refund the times they could not find the problem - NO. Just charged another $50 deductible.

Run don't walk away!
Old 08-26-2015, 08:20 AM   #6

extended/service agreements

I have a 2000 Dutch Star and so Good Sam is the only game in town...other warranted co. due to RV age are not accepting policies.
So what I understand is if a hose or wiring (uncovered parts) fails and causes AC (covered part) to go out then AC is not covered by this policy?
I have done maintenance but how do you know which is 1st chicken/egg?

Putting money aside might bring me more peace of mind? $2400/yr plus $500 deduct. and then for them to say not covered? Money thrown away?
Am I following this right? So new at all this RVing stuff and being solo trying to do what is needed to stay safe and have fun????
Old 08-26-2015, 08:29 AM   #7

I have never had an extended service contract/warranty on any of our vehicles over the past 50 years and feel I am Tens of Thousands of dollars ahead. Some feel a sense of security with them, but I like my bank balance better. The companies and the dealer selling them make big money. That should tell you something.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:38 AM   #8

Well it's a crap shoot isn't it? If you buy say a 10yr. old diesel pusher, and six months later the engine goes kaput, I doubt any one has set aside $30,000 or so for a new engine. It all comes down to what you're comfortable with.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 10:06 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
ESP

I have had good sam's ESP for 4 years. The first month I had it, Cat told me ,after discussing the situation, that I had an injector leaking (Fuel in oil) They directed me to a proper service provider. After a close inspection by the service provider, the injectors were OK, but the fuel rail on the Head was cracked. They needed to R&R the head and other necessary parts. Estimate was aprox $8000 Good Sam paid all but my Deductible (After an inspection of the problem and some grumbling) about my only having the policy for 4 weeks, and could it have been a preexisting condition? My reply was how did I drive from Florida to Utah with a cracked head. Overall good Service
Old 08-26-2015, 10:30 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
I have had Good Sam Extended Coverage for over 10 years and have not had any big issues. I have the Gold level which is better than the basic. I think they all exclude anything they can call maintenance items. The list is long but not much different than any of the others.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:14 AM   #11

It does come down to a crap shoot and comfort zone. There will always be the guy that had a major repair that his extended service contract paid for minus the deductible and premium. For everyone of them there are probably 10 others that paid more for the coverage than any benefit they received. As I said before, there is a reason that the dealers that sell it and the companies make a lot of money do so. However, if it helps you sleep better, accept the cost of the policy premium as a part of RV ownership and hope you don't get denied.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:24 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Just recognize that it is insurance, and it only covers a limited set of things. Yeah, the ads would have you believe they handle any & all repair worries, but it simply isn't so. If your notion is that you pay the premium and never get a repair bill, you are doomed to disappointment. If you are looking for something to help cover a possible major repair bill, even though you might not ever have one, then you are probably going to be happy. Insurance is always a gamble: you are worried about a big repair bill, while the insurer is betting you won't ever have any really large ones. PS: the insurer has the data to know what your statistical risk really is.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 10:28 PM   #13

I have Good Sam ESP and just recently renewed it. My deductible is $1000.00. I purchased this just to cover any major unexpected items. With the high deductible the cost of the ESP is very reasonable. Good Sam paid to have my Lippert Pump replaced as well as the majority of my leaking hydraulic lines. If you purchase any ESP it is essential that you take your MH to a service facility that deals with ESPs on a daily basis. The service advisor needs to know how to properly present the claim and justify all parts and labor.
Old 08-27-2015, 01:47 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Good advice, HRAMBLR.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace