Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2014, 12:45 PM   #1

Extended Warranty/Service Plan experience

My wife and I are looking into extended warranty/service plans for our 2015 Outlaw. There are several companies that offer them, but I'm always nervous about them refusing to pay for issues.

For those that have had to use them, what sort of experiences people have had and what company you are using? Good, bad, indifferent - all experiences are appreciated!

MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2014, 01:01 PM   #2
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
If this a new unit and still under factory warranty(s), an extended warranty(the correct term is service contract) is not recommended as it would most likely be for coverage of things already in the factory one. Wait until your factory warranty(s) are gone before considering. I would also recommend not buying from a dealer as they are way overpriced and can be negotiated for as much as 1/2 less with a (3) party company when the time comes.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:28 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm presently in a fight with one of them right now as they are really trying to find a way to say NO! So far I owe the shop for 8 hours of labor (@ $125.00 per hour)to diagnose the cause of failure to my GENSET. The repair cost prior to their adventure to "no" was $2700, right now we are over $3800, if I have to foot the bill, and I will still have an old GENSET with a new motor. Danger, Danger, Danger. I don't want to call them out yet because they are still in "review."
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy AD.
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:33 PM   #4

I got it when I bought a used Monaco. I used more in claims than I paid for the coverage and when I finally got rid of it before the coverage ended, I received a check back for about $1,200.00. That was a good investment. When I bought a used Winnebago Journey I got coverage for it too. That wasn't a good investment because the Journey never needed any repairs. Zero problems. It's an insurance policy. You might need it and hopefully you won't.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodz View Post
I got it when I bought a used Monaco. I used more in claims than I paid for the coverage and when I finally got rid of it before the coverage ended, I received a check back for about $1,200.00. That was a good investment. When I bought a used Winnebago Journey I got coverage for it too. That wasn't a good investment because the Journey never needed any repairs. Zero problems. It's an insurance policy. You might need it and hopefully you won't.
Who was the provider? There are many out there to choose from, and they are not all the same.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:59 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by navychaps View Post
I'm presently in a fight with one of them right now as they are really trying to find a way to say NO! So far I owe the shop for 8 hours of labor (@ $125.00 per hour)to diagnose the cause of failure to my GENSET. The repair cost prior to their adventure to "no" was $2700, right now we are over $3800, if I have to foot the bill, and I will still have an old GENSET with a new motor. Danger, Danger, Danger. I don't want to call them out yet because they are still in "review."
Let me just put it this way, they want to hold me to maintenance that may or may not have been done prior to my ownership....My first claim with them, ever!
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy AD.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
Who was the provider? There are many out there to choose from, and they are not all the same.
Star. They never gave me any problems even on the largest bill for installing a new radiator at over $2,000.00 They sent someone out to Cummins Bridgeway to verify the leak and had it approved immediately.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:37 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by navychaps View Post
Let me just put it this way, they want to hold me to maintenance that may or may not have been done prior to my ownership....My first claim with them, ever!
WooHoo! After three weeks, an initial "no" a few well placed e-mails, I just got a call from the shop telling me they are now saying yes and paying most all the additional labor. Persistence is everything.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:55 PM   #9

Thanks for the info everyone. Navy - glad things are working out!
Old 08-22-2014, 01:07 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodz View Post
Yes, I'm glad I didn't buy an extended warranty on my Winnebago Journey as I've had zero problems with it, also.

Cheers.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:30 PM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
MonkeyClaw...I'm in the same boat you are. Lots of stories around but I've yet to be able to get a good comparison of the main service contract providers.
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:19 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Most complaints stem form a misunderstanding of what the service contract covers. The sales people want you to think that all repairs are 100% covered, but that is far from the truth. Read all the fine print carefully and do not assume that any interpretation will be in your favor. It will NOT. EVER.

As for a new RV warranty, the service plan wiill take effect after the manufacturer warranty expires. They may call your plan a 5 year warranty, but its really a 1 year mfg warranty + a 4 year service plan. The premium you pay reflects that. There is no need to decide right away - any company will write you a service plan for a "new" RV at any time in the first year. It doesn't make any difference because they won't pay a dime until the mfg warranty expires anyway. By the way, since the engine, tranny, etc. often have warranties greater than one year, they probably won't be paying for anything on those either.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:19 AM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
This question has been discussed many times in these forums.

In my case the absolute lowest estimate for a 2 year extended warranty with a $500 deductible was $3400 and this from a somewhat marginal at best company. The more reputable companies wanted up to $5000 for this same 2 years. Just not worth it. We have spent maybe $500 to $600 on repairs in a year and a half. We do have a couple more repairs to do that might cost as much as $1500 total (high estimate). We will still be money ahead.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 07:09 AM   #14

Medico

your quotes seem awfully high,i have a 38 ft Tiffin Allegro 2009 and the highest quote i got for 2 years or 24000 miles was$3100 .I hope this helps Bob

Tags
service