Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2019, 09:49 AM   #1

Extended warranty. Yes or No? Which one?

Hello all. In the process of buying used DP. Question to all is should I invest in extended warranty or are they not all they say they are? Which ones you know about or have / had. Worth it or not.
RG0403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2019, 09:53 AM   #2

Extended warranties are you betting against the mechanical stability of the MH. Personally if I had the cash to buy a pusher I would place about 10% of the purchase price in a bank account to pay for breakdowns. If you look closely at the policies there are so many exclusions to make them almost worthless.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:04 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I have never been a fan of extended warranties on RV's . I think, that in most cases, you will be better off putting that same amount of money into a special bank account to be used only for repairs! JMHO
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 10:05 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
First off they are not a "warranty" under Federal law unless purchased direct from the vehicle manufacturer. They are a service contract and are written by attorneys to make money for the seller and issuing company. Think of them as insurance that may or may not be useful.
There was one case on this forum where an owner had a transmission failure. The warranty administrator asked for service records as per the contract. The owner had missed an engine oil change by 500 miles so the company refused the transmission repair and refunded his money since that was cheaper for them.
We bought a used CC in 2015 and the dealer didn't have paperwork available so they sent it to the house. In the meantime we went to AZ, on they way home the engine blew. Cost us $22,000+ and no service policy. I still don't really believe in buying them though.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 10:45 AM   #5

I drive a semi and put roughly 10% into a maintenance account. I take it from what you all have said I am better to treat the rv the same way.
RG0403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 12:10 PM   #6

They are personal preference. Money better spent would be a full inspection by a third party inspector who is not associated with the seller.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 12:41 PM   #7

You will always have people telling of how much more they collected than what the cost was. It's just a guess on my part, but I estimate that less than 10% get more than their premium back. The selling agent gets a cut and the company makes a good profit. What's left goes into a fund to pay out to the small number of people who collect. Personally, I am many thousands of $$$$$ ahead for never having an ESP on any vehicle.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 12:47 PM   #8

They are all JUNK
These companies are in business to make money.
When you need them they will work hard to find
any all loop holes to avoid paying your claim.
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 01:42 PM   #9

I never buy a warranty. It's worked out pretty good for the past 35 years.
TheWoodBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 04:02 PM   #10

If you do decide to purchase one, don't do it from the selling dealer. Shop around yourself and eliminate the middle man. Otherwise, I agree with the others. In the long run its probably better financially to self insure.
Old 09-24-2019, 07:03 PM   #11

Each one is different. We got one when we bought used, the price was reasonable, it has paid for itself. We got little to no history on the motorhome, we had it inspected, a waste of money in our case due the inspector missing things, so it turned out OK for us, for others it won't work out. The insurance company will do everything they can to get out of paying for. All lot depends on the age of the motorhome and if parts are still available that may fail. In the small print there is a clause about retrofitting or modifications to make a repair. The insurance company wants it repaired/replaced "in kind". So watch for that little thing. It happened to us, but the insurance paid for half of the modifications, which I thought was either it's covered or it's not, and it should be fixed regardless. So it depends, age of the motorhome, how many onboard computer systems, any history or records, can you afford a new engine or transmission, many variables. Most likely you'll get ripped off, but you never know.

Roadmiester
09 Dynasty Regal IV
45 ft., tag axle, ISM500
Roadmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 06:27 AM   #12

I second RELHUB!
They are all in the business to make money and as such they will provide you with the CHEAPEST repair possible(if any)
Good luck if service is needed when you are traveling.
Under NO circumstance should you purchase ESP through CW!!! Not recommended. You would be better of to save the money you would spend on premiums and put it in a repair fund.
Cheers
retnasaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:05 AM   #13

I am against 'warranty' or extended service contracts, but on the occasion of buying our used DP with no personal experience I panicked and bought a 5 year plan. Halfway through the 5 years, we have recovered about 42% of the premium we paid. Now that I have significant confidence in the engine and transmission I think I'd have done better putting that money in the bank. Granted it did buy us some peace of mind.
Any chance you can get oil and transmission samples analyzed before purchase?
Old 10-03-2019, 07:32 AM   #14

Use Search. Discussed many a time. no new info available.

Tags
extended warranty, warranty