Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2012, 08:18 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
extension cord plug ins???

Even the rv dealers look at me sideways when I say ....Hay can I hook a common extension cord to my coach ...batteries refrig small stuff.....I had a monaco in 06 and by leaving an extension cord hooked up to my coach I blew the TV out......hmmmm most folks say this is ok but I have heard horror stories about coaches being electricly ruined by cords??????help**** looking for a pro here.......I am speaking of a 110 outlet outside a house running an extension cord...not a 30amp or 50 amp service...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2012, 08:26 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
The extension cord has to be of the proper wire size and have all grounds.
The cord you use from the MH to the plug in is a extension cord.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:05 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

So long as it's not a regular light weight extension cord you should be fine. Just don't try to run much beyond the refer, battery charger, etc.

Are you saying that your blew your TV out by using an extension cord? If so it may have been due to low voltage caused by use of too light a cord. A good surge protector can help avoid that.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:25 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks Rick....yes just having the coach plugged in seemed to be the falt. The tv didn't blow out in front of my eyes but it never worked again...I was told never have an extension cord to plug in your rv??..
Old 04-25-2012, 10:55 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
When I use an extension cord, and I do, I am usually trying to accomplish one thing, like get the refrig cold ahead of time so I can load up for my next outing. I may be wanting to make sure the batteries are charged up as well. What I do is turn off everything else to make sure the draw is not to much. I may be wanting to just clean and vaccum the carpet and that requires 110V, so I just leave it plugged in until I complete the job. I see nothing wrong with using an extension cord as long as you are not trying to use all of the systems thru that 15Amp cord. would not want to try the Air conditioners!
Old 04-25-2012, 10:59 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
We just spent a week at a remote ranch with about 14 other rigs in our club. Each one was plugged in to their own extention cord, some 100 ft long, (not heavy duty either). With that many rigs obviously we were not all plugged into the same circut, but I did experience some voltage drop at my rig. We just used power to keep the batteries and lights on. Oh yea, the coffee pot in the morning. (no Microwave)

As far as I know none of us had any problems. I do routinely plug my rig into a 15 amp circuit in when I'm home. I have a heavy duty cord to do that, but I don't think it would make a difference. Others might disagree.
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:22 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I regularly use a 100 ft 12GA extension cord to plug in our MH. Have been doing this for many years with no problems.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:52 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ours is usually plugged in all the time when either home or in storage. Have never had a problem. Be sure the cord is grounded properly and you can always use a surge protector for added protection. If you're just using the cord to keep the batteries charged unplug all your expensive electronic items within the coach.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:19 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Short answer.. So long as it's just the converter and perhaps the TV and/or Fridge.

Yes,,, Water heater, Air conditioners and the like, NO.

Fact: On my coach the converter is a plug in model (not hard wired) Now it has a 20 amp plug (The neutral pin is turned sideways) so I had to build an adapter for it.

But there are places where I plug it in with a standard extension cord.. JUST IT. Run TV etc off Inverter (Seperate device) and use the generator when I need more power.