Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2011, 11:53 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Extension cord questions

So lucky me, I've got my rig stored in my property behind my fence. I was going to hook up an 30-amp power supply from my house to my MH, but decided against it.

I'll just have to feed it regular 15-20 amp house current. Two questions:

(1) Would a 10-gauge 50-foot extension cord be safe enough? (i.e., it won't get too hot and melt itself, would it??), and

(2) Just how many appliances can I power up? My rig is wired for 30-amp service (I think) and would like to run that extension cord from the house to it.

Again, thanks in advance !
Peacekeeper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2011, 01:34 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
1) yes, it'll be good..

2) whatever you can run on 15-20 amps.. A microwave, an A/C, etc.. not both at the same time, however
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:22 AM   #3

The 50' of #10 wire will be over-kill for the 20 amp load. You can get buy with an extension cord with #12 wire.
Here's the link for a table that will help you.
Voltage Drop Calculator
randco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:00 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I have a 20 foot 30 amp rv extension cord that I adapt to a 20 amp plug, and it works fine. With my old pace arrow, I sometime had to add a 16ft HD 20 amp extension. Never a problem. Go easy on what all you use.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:50 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
You are safe with a #10 fifty foot ext cord. The large black Cord sold by camping world is #10. It will run one A/C or two A/Cs if a fleetwood product with intellitec system.
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:58 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For 15-20 amps I'd use one of the 12ga extension cords from Sears, then an adapter. Or... if your rig is like mine you might even just power the converter, but that takes a special adapter that I've not found on line (made my own.

The sears cords, (Which are also at K-mart) the outlet end has a button.
Push the button, plug your 15 to whatever adapter in, release the button and it "Grips" the adapter, much better hold than a standard cord.

Now.. A short story.. I once had a heavy duty *8ga* cord that when I went to coil it up I had to wear gloves because it was so hot.. Now if it was hauling five amps I'd be surprised (Less than five, for sure less than 10, that wire should take 50 w/o overheating)

That is... Till I got to the part of the cord that was in the shade.. Then it was cool to the touch....Sometimes it's not current that makes it hot.. It is sunlight.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:21 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Were do you plug the cord in on the RV?
Old 04-17-2011, 10:48 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by micki49 View Post
Were do you plug the cord in on the RV?
I have a 30-amp power cord that's hardwired. It's the main power supply cord that I hook up to the campground power pedestal (I think that's what you call it....)

Anyway, I bought a 30-amp female/15-amp male adapter so that I can hook it up to one of the sockets in my backyard. It'll supply some power to my coach. I've had my radio on, my TV on (though not at the same time), and from what I gather, I can power up my fridge 24 hours before I take a trip to ensure it'll be cold enough for the food.

It's another way of keeping my coach batteries topped off as well. (My other one is a rinky-dink solar panel on top of the A/C).

I think what I wrote is right. I'm just "flailing" along since this is my very first RV.
Peacekeeper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:35 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by randco View Post
The 50' of #10 wire will be over-kill for the 20 amp load. You can get buy with an extension cord with #12 wire.
Here's the link for a table that will help you.
Voltage Drop Calculator
A "heavy duty" #12 50' extension cord from K-Mart, Sears, Home Depot, or Lowe's along with a 30amp to 15-20amp adapter will serve your needs just fine to run TV, battery charger, etc. Just can't go crazy running Micro wave, coffee pot, fridge, TV, and AC all at once.

Monaco38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 03:25 PM   #10

I have both a #12 wire 50 and 100' long extension cords I plug my old unit into either to get ready before pulling out. I have had both run the single AC unit and the fridge while plugged into a 20a circuit.

Chris
HoRotica is offline   Reply With Quote