Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-10-2015, 07:43 PM   #1
Exterior care

Hi I have a question regarding waxing the exterior of the RV. I have body paint and some decals on my 2007 Winnabago Adventurer. Winnabago says not to apply wax over the decals as it may breakdown the decal because the wax contains petroleum distillates. What do you recommend?

greg1406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2015, 09:17 PM   #2
Winnebago Owners Club
I use 303 Protectant on my decals as well as a variety of other things. I use it on automotive paint, fiberglass, tires, moldings, just to name a few. I am mostly in the desert southwest and 303 protects things from harmful UV. I use it instead of a wax or polish on my RVs and cars and everything I've used it on has held up well in the intense sun.

I frequently buy it by the gallon sometimes in a box of 4. I once bought a 5-gallon container but found it more convenient to buy it in gallon containers.

303 will keep your decals from fading and cracking but some say that they still may show water stains. I've never found that to be true. If you notice that, you may want to use something like Rejex over the 303 on the decals ...I don't know.

edit: I just read on another forum that Rejex contains petroleum distillates which some recommend not using on vinyl decals although I've read where lots of RVers use it on decals nevertheless. Again, for me, I just use 303 on everything ...it has served me well for many years and I'm kind of set in my ways now about using it for just about everything (I obviously do not use it on fabric or glass, however).

theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 10:15 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
303 or armor all. Before everyone goes after armor all, they changed the formula years ago. I read all I could find and there is no proof that i could find that it would harm surfaces on my vehicle. It does however contain silicones so the choice is yours. I do try to use 303 but the cost difference is substantial. One thing I can tell you from first hand experience is that waxing your decals will hurt them eventually. Not protecting them will also allow them to eventually deteriorate, crack and fade. Best choice 303, second choice, a protectant without petroleum distillates.
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35k
mojoracing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 10:29 PM   #4
iRV2 No Limits Club
I use Dry Wash N Guard on my rigs. Keeps them looking great and water hardly sticks, also use it on the windows and don't get water spots either.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 04:24 PM   #5
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I use 303 on the tires, and would use it on decals if I had any. I use a more substantial wax/polish on the body, like Nu Finish or Meguiar's Cleaner Wax...either will last longer than 303 on the body.
2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:35 PM   #6
Do be aware that any product you use that contains silicone can eventually cause a problem. My brother paints cars for a living and if there is silicone on a vehicle repainting is a real pain. He never uses armor all, its great on the plastic fenders etc but if you accidently keep getting in the paint its an issue
Ron & Linda
2000 Dynasty 38PBS
Full time since 2007
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 07:38 PM   #7
Winnebago Owners Club
303. It's water based.
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:27 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
silicone causes issues when repainting. it is hard to remove completely and can cause fish eyes when laying down new paint. One spritz of the stuff in a body shop can wreak havoc.
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35k
mojoracing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 09:56 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Real wax, e.g. carnuba, has substantial petroleum distillates in it to soften the natural wax. Most modern vehicle "waxes", however, are 100% synthetic and have only an infinitesimal amount of petro-based stuff. Not gonna bother anything. Some, however, may fill the pores of the decal and leave a cloudy residue because you can't polish it out of the pores like you can on smoother surfaces.

I mostly use Protect All or Dri Wash & Guard and neither leaves a residue on decals. Still, it is best to avoid them as much as possible, since polishing them does no good anyway. Use the 303 if you like, though I doubt if that has any significant benefit either. The decal material itself will eventually dry out internally and crack. Good quality decals last 20+ years, but cheaper stuff may deteriorate in just 6-10 years.

Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote