Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2009, 07:08 PM   #1

exterior care

I have a 30 ft class A 1998 Holiday Rambler Vacationer that I bought last year and it could use a good waxing. It has aluminum sides with fiberglass end caps and the aluminum leaves white dust on my hand when I run my hand across it.
I am just wondering how to care for it and what product to use, or whether I should just let a dealer handle it. What is an average price for having this taken care of.
tom & cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2009, 07:13 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Any polish designed for use on a painted surface should work fine. Car polishes are the most readily available. If there is any oxidation, you may need one of the ones with a mild abrasive (usually labeled Oxidation remover" or some such). These will work on the fiberglass caps too, but if they are oxidized you may want to get a marine (boat) polish deigned for restoring faded fiberglass gel coat.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:01 PM   #3

Thanks for your help. Do you have a clue what a shop will charge to do the job?
Old 08-06-2009, 08:37 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The price to detail the exterior of an RV varies widely with the region of the country and who does the job. I know a few places where a 30 footer can get polished for $125 and others where $400 is the going rate. Somewhere around $200 is probably typical in many parts of the country.

Get some prices from local car detailers. Don't be afraid to negotiate a bit.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:03 AM   #5

Thanks

Thanks for the info, I thought the price I was quoted was high. He told me 500 was the going rate but would do it for 400. I guess I'll keep shopping
Old 08-06-2009, 11:17 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to LargCarPilot
From past experience you should look at Meguiar's. A little higher priced than the everyday run of the mill products, but they are hands down the best. Their products are what the auto detailers use for show vehicles.

Car Care Products: Car Waxes to Leather Cleaners, Meguiar's the Leader in Car and Surface Care since 1901
Old 08-06-2009, 09:46 PM   #7

If you ever camp in Nashville, TN at Two Rivers CAmpground, ask them about Roscoe's Vehicle detailing. He did our coach last spring and charged $7 a foot. His crew hand washes it and then hand waxes and hand polishes it. I paid more than that in TX and they did not hand polish it and I could see the marks. His crews always hand polish it.
Meandering Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 02:04 PM   #8

If your looking at a wash and wax only you may want to test an area to see if it gives the quality your looking for. If you have heavy oxidation you will need to de-ox to restore that "NEW" shine that makes your rig POP! I've got about 40 hours working on my 38 ft. with fiberglass siding. I get the best result by hand. 1st- Prewash- then Deoxidize, wipe,wash and wipe again (the wash removes polish left behind that WILL mess up your final wax). 2nd- Use swirl remover to get a near perfect finish, wipe clean. 3rd-use a quality, pure wax to seal the surface. CAUTION;Do not lean up against the coach, you WILL slide off!
Be carfull with the graffixs, certain colors don't like the rubbing compound.

Who said that?......Somebody called me anal.

If I could get that done right for $500 it be woth every penny!
Tumbleweed is offline   Reply With Quote