Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2012, 09:41 AM   #43
Community Administrator

Hey Kent I've seen some posts ( don't remember where ) about after markets stuff also you could get them painted on which I think is a better solution.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2012, 10:09 AM   #44

Kent.. definitely replace any striping before you put the PoliGlow on, as the new ones won't adhere..(nothing sticks well on the coating). Also keep in mind that it will make the striping look better, making the colors more vibrant like they were when new, and keep them safe from further damage. All I did was trim the edges that were curling, cleaned stripes and all while I did the sidewalls with the supplied cleaner, and coated striping the same as I did the rest of the coach. It's perfectly safe to do. If I had the time I'd come and help..LOL
rvguy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:41 AM   #45

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Hey Kent I've seen some posts ( don't remember where ) about after markets stuff also you could get them painted on which I think is a better solution.
Yes, I agree, for sure.....but that is a costly and for now, prohibitive, expense for me.....

Will have to consider it though, it must be done before the Poly Glo.....
Old 08-22-2012, 10:43 AM   #46
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2

Yes, I agree, for sure.....but that is a costly and for now, prohibitive, expense for me.....

Will have to consider it though, it must be done before the Poly Glo.....
If I had your money , I'd burn mine. Now I feel guilty that Tallulah and I let you buy lunch :(

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:45 AM   #47

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvguy40 View Post
Kent.. definitely replace any striping before you put the PoliGlow on, as the new ones won't adhere..(nothing sticks well on the coating). Also keep in mind that it will make the striping look better, making the colors more vibrant like they were when new, and keep them safe from further damage. All I did was trim the edges that were curling, cleaned stripes and all while I did the sidewalls with the supplied cleaner, and coated striping the same as I did the rest of the coach. It's perfectly safe to do. If I had the time I'd come and help..LOL
Well, FW no longer has the die cuts, or any of the striping available. So if I'm gonna do anything, it would have to be by paint.

I'll take close ups of the striping and post on here. Most of it is in great condition and would definitely be served by a little soft scrub (suggested by the folks at Poly Glo). I last February or March used my Meguiar's headlamp lens cleaner on the striping and it really did a great job on cleaning them....needs to be done again.....
Old 08-22-2012, 11:26 AM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have no idea how much poly-glo is, but RED MAX PRO, or ZEP is very easy to apply, no buffing, and it made my faded cracked stripes look a lot better. Poly-glo might do the same thing.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:06 PM   #49

RedMax and Zep are SIMILAR products, but don't have the UV stabilizers in it to keep it from turning color over time. AND, they don't come with a cleaner specifically formulated to clean the gelcoat.Thats the reason I didn't use them. I know, I know, people here have had good luck with it, and after 2 years there's no change in color... but I'm just not willing to risk it, and I HATE doing the same task twice. PoliGlow is made specifically to be used on gelcoated fiberglass, has the right cleaner to make it stick, and the UV stabilizers...so for me, it was worth the $65 =/- ......
Old 08-22-2012, 12:23 PM   #50

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
RedMax and Zep are SIMILAR products, but don't have the UV stabilizers in it to keep it from turning color over time. AND, they don't come with a cleaner specifically formulated to clean the gelcoat.Thats the reason I didn't use them. I know, I know, people here have had good luck with it, and after 2 years there's no change in color... but I'm just not willing to risk it, and I HATE doing the same task twice. PoliGlow is made specifically to be used on gelcoated fiberglass, has the right cleaner to make it stick, and the UV stabilizers...so for me, it was worth the $65 =/- ......
Yes, but I like what he says about the stripes, how it helped the cracks and fades....I am sure the Poli Glow does the same? Not gonna have any luck with the stripes, and not able to do anything else but Poli Glow, so I'm gonna take pics and post them here, let you tell me Rvguy40. btw, I'd buy the beer if you wanna make a trip to DFW!! Free room and board!
Old 08-22-2012, 12:58 PM   #51

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Hey, Rvguy....I'm taking the coach to a Rally next weekend about 300 miles south of here. (may be hobbling, messed up my ankle last weekend, but still moving-grin)...I'm concerned about the gelcoat not having anything on it where I bleached all that mildew off. Shouldn't I at least put a coat of wax on it till I get back? I am not going to be able to get the Poly Glow done before the trip....and don't want the gelcoat to be un protected.....
Old 08-22-2012, 08:53 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post
Hey, Rvguy....I'm taking the coach to a Rally next weekend about 300 miles south of here. (may be hobbling, messed up my ankle last weekend, but still moving-grin)...I'm concerned about the gelcoat not having anything on it where I bleached all that mildew off. Shouldn't I at least put a coat of wax on it till I get back? I am not going to be able to get the Poly Glow done before the trip....and don't want the gelcoat to be un protected.....
Nope.. don't waste your time and energy. Wash it, enjoy your trip, and work on it when you get back. Besides, you need to stay off that ankle.Gelcoat isn't delicate, so a weekend trip with nothing on it won't hurt a bit. As I said, if you spend your time waxing, the cleaner you use before the PoliGlow is going to strip it off. As far as the striping, yes, the PoliGlow will make them look great... worked like a charm on mine. I will try and get some pics tomorrow evening to post on here. I will have her washed and dried by then... I'm going camping this weekend in Maggie Valley.... it's only 9 gallons (90 mi) away...
Old 08-23-2012, 08:54 AM   #53

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Nope.. don't waste your time and energy. Wash it, enjoy your trip, and work on it when you get back. Besides, you need to stay off that ankle.Gelcoat isn't delicate, so a weekend trip with nothing on it won't hurt a bit. As I said, if you spend your time waxing, the cleaner you use before the PoliGlow is going to strip it off. As far as the striping, yes, the PoliGlow will make them look great... worked like a charm on mine. I will try and get some pics tomorrow evening to post on here. I will have her washed and dried by then... I'm going camping this weekend in Maggie Valley.... it's only 9 gallons (90 mi) away...
Okee dokee Rvguy, I'm gonna do just that. Thanks and I'll get pics this weekend of the striping.

I have too many other things to do anyway to get ready for next weekend. My destination next Friday is about 45 gallons
Old 09-06-2012, 09:32 AM   #54

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well, I sure didn't get the pictures...had too many other things to do before the Rally. But I hear a cold front (high in the 80's) is headed for DFW Fri night...will get the coach washed and pics taken in nice cooler air....
Old 09-06-2012, 10:44 AM   #55

Grand prairie woe I work next to the airport come on cool weather
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:28 AM   #56

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by whem2fish View Post
Grand prairie woe I work next to the airport come on cool weather
AMEN! Bring on that cool weather is right!