Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2014, 12:23 PM   #71

Things I've learned about rolling/tipping:
You don't need to prime the surface unless the fiberglass is checked or crazed.
Prep with 220 wet/dry, wipe down with a solvent-soaked rags, then let it sit in the sun to
make sure no water or such is left.
Sanding with 320 between coats is suggested. I'm finding it to be optional, mostly if a
slight sag or run needs addressing.
Thinning the full 10% works best on days over 80
It's looking like painting over decals that are flat and tight is possible with Interlux;
which is a polyurethane single-stage paint.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2014, 12:27 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
[B]Paint Projects all done for now, ]

Chuck, you know you're good when the elec/comp door looks as good or better than factory. Good job!

Old 07-30-2014, 03:32 PM   #73

American Coach Owners Club
Rick - post some pictures !
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:47 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
Rick - post some pictures !
Will do shortly. Painting over decals requires an extra coat of paint, so I did that yesterday and should be able to give a final coat to the BR slide.

I have two questions about rolling and tipping for anybody that's done it:

1. Can I reasonably expect the surface to be mirror flat? My guess is NO for vertical surfaces, and close to a YES on horizontal, but who knows? I'm at the maximum of 10 thinning agent.
2. Does tipping come out better if I use a foam brush instead of bristle?

Granted, my noticing things comes at about the 5' distance, so I'm being picky...or am I?
Old 07-31-2014, 09:40 AM   #75

Here is what a panel looks like if a decal is painted over. Two coats on the panel, and a third coat on the decal. I faired the edges of the decal with glazing putty to reduce the sharp edge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MH painting 008.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	572.0 KB
ID:	69493   Click image for larger version

Name:	MH painting 007.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	230.1 KB
ID:	69494  

Name:	MH painting 011.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	597.2 KB
ID:	69495  
Old 07-31-2014, 07:11 PM   #76

Winnebago Owners Club
Did you do the slide out where the window is or did you just buff it out? Love the white white paint, what brand ,where did you get it at? The job looks great, I applaud you.

Thom
Old 07-31-2014, 07:43 PM   #77

American Coach Owners Club
Nice Job Rick ! looks Great !
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:54 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godtomley View Post
Did you do the slide out where the window is or did you just buff it out? Love the white white paint, what brand ,where did you get it at? The job looks great, I applaud you.

Thom

The parts on each side were still very white, so didn't need to touch them. They are also aluminum instead of fiberglass, so the paint doesn't yellow up as much.

Seems that painting MHs and painting boats is very, very similar. They're both exposed to lots of sun, so any boat-supply store carries several brands of good boat paint. I chose Interlux Brightside, because it's a straight polyurethane that doesn't require a catalyst. Easy to apply with a small roller and either a decent brush (for poly) or a foam brush.

The best news I've learned so far is that the paint (so far) seems to lay right on top of decals, instead of lifting them. Lack of caustic catalyst solvent is probably the reason. I'm going to do the left rear of the MH next, in order to let this paint sit for enough days to let me knowing whether the decal is going to lift or not. Fingers crossed!

That provides several benefits: TIME savings is the biggest benefit, if the decals show no...no...signs of peeling or cracking. Another benefit is that the ghost image of the underlying decal allows me to tape right up to it for applying the new color (not decal, but paint)

Interlux is $120/Gallon, and I'll use 2 gallons with a good bit left over (who can't use good white exterior paint?). The colors are $42/Qt, and a quart of thinner is $15. Add tape and paper, and we're at about $400 if you paint the whole coach.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MH painting 015.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	307.0 KB
ID:	69589  
Old 08-01-2014, 10:25 AM   #79

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks Rick for the information. Presently, Sue and I are on a trip out west. In Montana and heading back to the East Coast in a couple weeks. We have a case of miss the granddaughter a lot and need to take her camping. I'm a fairly hard worker, will go eight hours minimum a day. Can you give a rough estimate of hours involved on the whole motorhome?
Old 08-01-2014, 10:43 AM   #80

If you knew, you might never start

There are a lot of variables, such as how much prep you care to do, how accurate the taping is, whether you strip cracked decals or cut out peeling and glaze, how many coats (2 or 3), and how many colors you want stripes/curls to be.

Laying out different color stripes or curls can take an extra 100 hours, IMO.
I'm going back with the same layout, but changing the color scheme, and my coach doesn't have those danged curls to try to replicate.

That said, I'm not a full time RVer, and our next trip isn't until November, so time is mine to spend as weather allows. There is good news, though. If you look at a MH, there are about 6-8 separate sections that are separated by joints, so my plan was/is to do the rear cap first, then the small part on the right between cap and slide (make mistakes on the least-noticed panel). Slides are a stand-alone panel. Front cap the same. You can do what you want, then rest awhile if desired.

The panel between rear cap and main slide is on my plate today. About 15' long and 5' of white to paint. Two large black stripes to remove. My GUESS is that I'll have 12 hours in that part alone. Photo shows the rear stripe already removed.

I'm doing all work by hand; no power tools. A 10' step ladder is a MUST.

FWIW, note the color difference between rear cap and the side. That's 8 years of weathering on fiberglass in a moderate climate (Missouri). As you said, I like White...bright and shiny!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MH painting.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	398.3 KB
ID:	69598  
Old 08-01-2014, 10:30 PM   #81

Looken Good Rick

I took a Close look at mine and well, got to paint the whole thing for sure.
I can see the fiberglass starting to show though on the door and several other places on the coach.
This is a much older unit, 1993 and I like the design of it, plus, its about all we could dig up at the moment without having to finance.
The big question in my mind is, she has 65K and to be totally honest, I see no way that front end coming off to get the motor out, if and when that needs to happen (might go some other place in the Forum and ask that question)

Working with the boats I can say, Yes on the tipping with a Good brush.
I use those little yellow sponge weeny rollers, do about a 2 to 3 square foot area, then tip it and it seems to lay right down for me.

Mine sat in the San Diego sun for 10 years so she is pretty parched, decals, pretty gone too.
She needs work, such as brakes (old retired mechanic, can do those the right way) and other minor things but everything works well.
I am the third owner and the first one was a Engineer so every scrap of paper was kept in detail, the second owner was the Son that knew better as the Dad was watching every move :-)
New rubber, new fridge, low hours on the generator, just a bunch of little things to tend too other than, She Needs Paint.
Here is a picture and you can see.
The front cap, rear cap and fiberglass top, the paint is oxidizing and running down the windows.
I know what I have to do, just don't know if I have it in me any longer. Might take it slow.

Oh, forgot. I have Kin in Alabama, up in Eufaula :-)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dscn3821sm.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	69650   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dscn3820sm.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	69651  

Where is Robin Hood when you need him !
Softail96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 07:09 AM   #82

My guess is that they'd remove the windshield to get the engine out.

I think that your MH is a harder paint job than what I have, because it's a whole slab of white that doesn't stop at a slide. You also don't have a dark color on the bottom, so there's a whole lot more prep work, too. I feel the pain for ya!
Old 08-02-2014, 07:16 AM   #83

Engine could come out drivers door

Joe 1998 Itasca Sunflyer Ford 460
Old 08-02-2014, 07:22 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annierufus View Post
Engine could come out drivers door

Joe 1998 Itasca Sunflyer Ford 460

Looking at the size of that door, I stand corrected. Remove seat and slide it right out.

Tags
paint