Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2014, 11:39 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Arrow Exterior paint designs

I was thinking about removing all the old decals, the lower portion is painted fine, but it will leave me a big white canvas.

wanted to use some colors to compliment the burgundy or wine color.

I thought I could find a website to play around with colors.

any input on design?

I'll be doing the painting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	686
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	68395  

jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2014, 03:05 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I painted my 2006 Winnebago Voyage 33V. I used a Harbor Freight heat gun and their plastic trim chisles to remove all the vinyl decals. Repainted with marine polyurethane topside paint after sanding and priming. I "rolled and tipped" the paint rather than spraying.

Old 07-19-2014, 03:36 PM   #3

The lower Burgandy has a nice angle rising up at the back.....I would play off that angle for sure.....I would also get as far away as possible from any of the traditional RV swirls and swoops.....As far as colors that would work well with burgandy, Benjamin Moore has some house painting guides that will show groupings that work well together, they even break down the % of each color...you can use that as a guide....Maybe trim out the windows in Burgandy...for a start..
Old 07-19-2014, 03:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jputer View Post
I painted my 2006 Winnebago Voyage 33V. I used a Harbor Freight heat gun and their plastic trim chisles to remove all the vinyl decals. Repainted with marine polyurethane topside paint after sanding and priming. I "rolled and tipped" the paint rather than spraying.
I plan the same project as the OP is doing, doing a full white on the sides, then adding the detail that are currently decals.

Did you do swirls or curves? How did they turn out? Can marine poly be tinted, or do we have to use what's in the can?
Old 07-19-2014, 03:47 PM   #5

Personally, I like clean and simple. Everybody and his brother has razzel dazzle swoops, swirls and psychedelic patterns now. It's refreshing to see an RV painted with a modest design pattern.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:19 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I plan to play off the up-swipe towards the rear.

Been looking at some airplane designs they keep it simple, many of the new coaches are waaaaay to busy.

But I will not use decals.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:12 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
After reading the different post, curiosity has me awake with questions. Can one get custom decals and from where? Is it pricey? We have a 98' Itasca, 38 ft long, could use a paint job, however, would have to be DIY. I have painted many houses, inside and out with success, would that qualify me? Or as the old 50's song goes, "Just a Dream, Just a Dream.

Thanks
Thom n Sue
Old 07-20-2014, 06:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godtomley View Post
After reading the different post, curiosity has me awake with questions. Can one get custom decals and from where? Is it pricey? We have a 98' Itasca, 38 ft long, could use a paint job, however, would have to be DIY. I have painted many houses, inside and out with success, would that qualify me? Or as the old 50's song goes, "Just a Dream, Just a Dream.

Thanks
Thom n Sue
Thom, in reverse order...if you've painted homes, your skill level is good for a roll/tip method; especially if your wife or somebody can do the tipping or rolling. We look at our walls a lot closer than people look at motorhomes, don't we? If you plan to spray the paint on, then the potential for runs on fiberglass would be ever-present; especially on such large areas.

I checked into a decal shop down here and she can replicate your current pattern, can sell you the material or can install it for you ($2000 vs. $1000), or can do a body wrap for about $4000. A body wrap can be anything you want it to be. Photo of Grand Canyon, your kids, Star Wars, you name it.

These are rough estimates, as they all vary by size and material. PM me if you want her contact info, or google up vinyl graphics in your area.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:51 AM   #9
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2013 View Post
I was thinking about removing all the old decals, the lower portion is painted fine, but it will leave me a big white canvas.

wanted to use some colors to compliment the burgundy or wine color.

I thought I could find a website to play around with colors.

any input on design?

I'll be doing the painting.
Are you planning to paint the entire top surface? If not, be aware that the fiberglass under the decals will be a lot shinier and may be a different color than the fiberglass that has been exposed to the weather. If that's the case, you may want to repaint the same pattern you have now. It actually looks pretty good. I'm with Moonrover. I prefer simple without a lot of razzle-dazzle.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:32 AM   #10

In our case, the whole top part of the coach will get a white base, all the way to the roof line.

What I've read so far about roll/tip is to tip towards the already-painted surface and try to stay wet/wet. Do about a 2x2 area at a time.

My question is about how to paint the rear cap (about 8x8). Do you guys go all the way across the bottom, then start rows 2,3,4? Or would you go up one side and then do a column at a time?
Old 07-20-2014, 07:44 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
Are you planning to paint the entire top surface? If not, be aware that the fiberglass under the decals will be a lot shinier and may be a different color than the fiberglass that has been exposed to the weather. If that's the case, you may want to repaint the same pattern you have now. It actually looks pretty good. I'm with Moonrover. I prefer simple without a lot of razzle-dazzle.
No not painting the entire surface.

My plan after removal of the decals is to wet sand all the unpainted FB with 1000/2000 grit paper, this will even out a lot of color or shine that will be under the old decals. It will also give a good clean bonding surface to paint on.

I've done my boats that way, all the oxidation is gone, it goes very fast, with a hose. (I estimate about an hour per side) but you need about 10 pieces of sand paper per side my guess.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:50 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
I would not consider decals again, paint costs less, about the same if a shop paints it without too much razzal dazzle I think?

I would not worry about drips they can always be sanded and buffed out, or respray that spot.

just spray a test on a big piece of cardboard like 3x3, if it don't drip there you're fine.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:51 AM   #13

OK, we're talking the same language, since I've painted several boats, too (and detailed several more). I want to get a shine on the rear cap at the roofline corners, and mentioned to a guy at the RV repair shop that I was going to hit it with 1500 wet/dry and he said..."don't do it".

His explanation was that those caps are made of a type of fiberglass that is very porous, and once you sand through, you'll get even more pores (less shine than before). He turned out to be the resident RV painter, so I took him at his word.

....which is why I'm going to paint the rear cap first.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:10 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
I disagree, that gel coat is thicker than you think.

If you're going to paint it, why not sand it first and see what it looks like.

Tags
paint