Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-18-2013, 06:30 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
billyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: bel air, md
Posts: 771
exterior sheet metal screws

just wondering if any one knows what kind of screws are used on the likes of newmar, entegra, country coach. are they steel or has some of them used stainless steel.
__________________

__________________
09 Winnie 32 h adventurer towing 15 focus
billyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2013, 06:44 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
usinvestment's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: AZ
Posts: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyb View Post
just wondering if any one knows what kind of screws are used on the likes of newmar, entegra, country coach. are they steel or has some of them used stainless steel.
You should be able to tell by using a magnet to see if the screw is metal or stainless. Stainless can still corrode but usually not to the extreme metal will, the driver bit used to install the screws is metal and can transfer metal into the screw head. Many of the self tapping TEK screws are metal, not all but most. Using a magnet will give you an indication of the material.

Also many of the manufacturers powder coat or anodize some of the fasteners, but unfortunately when the metal driver bit is used to install them you will find they rust in the head of the fastener anyway.
__________________

__________________
Phillip, AZ, 2013 Fleetwood Storm, Roadmaster Front Stabilizer, Koni FSD Front Shocks, DIY Rear Track Bar, CHF, 5 Star Tune, 2010 Kia Soul Toad
usinvestment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:46 PM   #3
Registered User
 
mel s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyb View Post
just wondering if any one knows what kind of screws are used on the likes of newmar, entegra, country coach. are they steel or has some of them used stainless steel.
I don't know what coach manufactures use but if I remove any screw, nut, bolt or washer from anywhere on the exterior of my coach I always replace it with it's stainless steel equivalent.
Mel
'96 Safari
__________________
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:06 PM   #4
Registered User
 
mel s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by usinvestment View Post
You should be able to tell by using a magnet to see if the screw is metal or stainless. Stainless can still corrode but usually not to the extreme metal will, the driver bit used to install the screws is metal and can transfer metal into the screw head. Many of the self tapping TEK screws are metal, not all but most. Using a magnet will give you an indication of the material.

Also many of the manufacturers powder coat or anodize some of the fasteners, but unfortunately when the metal driver bit is used to install them you will find they rust in the head of the fastener anyway.
usinvestment
Stainless Steel screws are metal.... (as are aluminum, which will not be attracted to a magnet but WILL NOT RUST... and steel, a ferrous metal which will be attracted to a magnet and WILL)!

Mel
'96 Safari
__________________
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:21 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
usinvestment's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: AZ
Posts: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
usinvestment
Stainless Steel screws are metal.... (as are aluminum, which will not be attracted to a magnet but WILL NOT RUST... and steel, a ferrous metal which will be attracted to a magnet and WILL)!

Mel
'96 Safari
Most stainless used in the RV industry is 18-8 and depending on the quality of the fastener and batch that came from "China" even low quality 18-8 can corrode. Good quality 18-8 stainless is not attracted to a magnet, and is a good tool to use for testing the quality of stainless used. A steel fastener will be very attracted to a magnet even anodized and powder coated.

Please understand you're fighting a losing battle here. I spent over a decade purchasing millions of dollars in stainless, metal, powder coated fasteners and traveled the world inspecting fasteners for the largest RV builder in the U.S.

I find it funny how some bloggers like to take on a battle they know nothing about. No one is using "Aluminum" fasteners for exterior applications in the RV industry!!!
__________________
Phillip, AZ, 2013 Fleetwood Storm, Roadmaster Front Stabilizer, Koni FSD Front Shocks, DIY Rear Track Bar, CHF, 5 Star Tune, 2010 Kia Soul Toad
usinvestment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:40 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
billyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: bel air, md
Posts: 771
I'm on my third m.h. After two trailers, and I have replaced all the junk screws that were used on the outside with stainless. I know they were all lower end, but
just wondering if there any

built with stainless screws.
__________________
09 Winnie 32 h adventurer towing 15 focus
billyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:44 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
docj's Avatar
Official iRV2 Sponsor
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by usinvestment View Post
Most stainless used in the RV industry is 18-8 and depending on the quality of the fastener and batch that came from "China" even low quality 18-8 can corrode. Good quality 18-8 stainless is not attracted to a magnet, and is a good tool to use for testing the quality of stainless used. A steel fastener will be very attracted to a magnet even anodized and powder coated.
The question of whether or not stainless steel is attracted to a magnet has nothing to do with how "good" it is, but rather whether it is Austenitic, Ferritic or Martensitic. Since we're not going to turn this into a metallurgy thread, suffice it to say that "300 Series" stainless is non-magnetic and 400 Series is.

What is commonly called 18/8 stainless is "officially" known as type 304 and it is not magnetic. Magnetic stainless has a lower corrosion resistance because it has lower percentages of chromium and nickel, but it can have other desired properties such as strength or toughness.

I don't think the OP's question is a poor one; even on my relatively "high end" MH I've found common steel screws that are exposed to the elements which have simply rusted through. I'd rather pay 20-30 cents each to replace them with stainless even if I don't have first-hand knowledge of whether they are Chinese or not. At least they are less likely to rust out than were the original ones.
__________________
Joel Weiss--WiFiRanger RV Ambassador
RVParkReviews administrator
2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton CAT C-12
docj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:47 PM   #8
Registered User
 
mel s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by usinvestment View Post
Most stainless used in the RV industry is 18-8 and depending on the quality of the fastener and batch that came from "China" even low quality 18-8 can corrode. Good quality 18-8 stainless is not attracted to a magnet, and is a good tool to use for testing the quality of stainless used. A steel fastener will be very attracted to a magnet even anodized and powder coated.

Please understand you're fighting a losing battle here. I spent over a decade purchasing millions of dollars in stainless, metal, powder coated fasteners and traveled the world inspecting fasteners for the largest RV builder in the U.S.

I find it funny how some bloggers like to take on a battle they know nothing about. No one is using "Aluminum" fasteners for exterior applications in the RV industry!!!
usinvestment
I said nothing about using aluminum screws.

In post #2 of this thread, you said, "You should be able to tell by using a magnet to see if the screw is metal or stainless".

Here is the point I was trying to make in my earlier post:
steel, aluminum,and stainless steel are all metals.

I am only a RV owner, (not a "world traveling RV fastener inspector"), but I know that much about screws/metals.
Mel
'96 Safari
__________________
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:56 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
usinvestment's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: AZ
Posts: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
usinvestment
I said nothing about using aluminum screws.

In post #2 of this thread, you said, "You should be able to tell by using a magnet to see if the screw is metal or stainless".

Here is the point I was trying to make in my earlier post:
steel, aluminum,and stainless steel are all metals.

I am only a RV owner, (not a "world traveling RV fastener inspector"), but I know that much about screws/metals.
Mel
'96 Safari
Correct, and I stick to my point made about using the magnet, and no one is using series 400 to make fasteners to sell to the RV industry.

You still started a silly disagreement that didn't help the questionnaire about fasteners. You just wanted to disagree with my points, which (my points) were very helpful and factual!!!

An additional tip: Because of the many dissimilar metals used when fastening to an RV, which will cause corrosion you may want to use Anti-Seize (which is a copper compound) on some of the fasteners that you can't get in stainless because they are a special order like stainless TEK screws, which will help eliminate oxidization.
__________________
Phillip, AZ, 2013 Fleetwood Storm, Roadmaster Front Stabilizer, Koni FSD Front Shocks, DIY Rear Track Bar, CHF, 5 Star Tune, 2010 Kia Soul Toad
usinvestment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:18 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 402
I replaced all the external fasteners on my MH using an inexpensive kit of stainless steel screws from Harbor Freight.This was better than arguing with someone.
__________________
04 Southwind 37C W22

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:25 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Barlow46's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: East Coast Fl
Posts: 1,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by usinvestment View Post
Correct, and I stick to my point made about using the magnet, and no one is using series 400 to make fasteners to sell to the RV industry.

You still started a silly disagreement that didn't help the questionnaire about fasteners. You just wanted to disagree with my points, which (my points) were very helpful and factual!!!

An additional tip: Because of the many dissimilar metals used when fastening to an RV, which will cause corrosion you may want to use Anti-Seize (which is a copper compound) on some of the fasteners that you can't get in stainless because they are a special order like stainless TEK screws, which will help eliminate oxidization.
How do you avoid galvanic corrosion when using stainless in aluminum? Does it depend on the quality of the stainless?
__________________
2016 Arctic Fox 25Y, 2016 F350 4x4 DRW, 6.7 Power Stroke. East Coast of Fl.
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:36 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
billyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: bel air, md
Posts: 771
Really -----------I only was trying to find out if the high dollar units used a better grade of fasteners.
__________________
09 Winnie 32 h adventurer towing 15 focus
billyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:14 PM   #13
Registered User
 
mel s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by usinvestment View Post
You just wanted to disagree with my points, which (my points) were very helpful and factual!!!
usinvestment
I simply wanted to point out the fact that NOT all METAL is attracted to magnets, (as your post suggested/inferred).
IMO, an incorrect statement is less helpful than no statement at all.
On offense was intended.
Mel
'96 Safari
__________________
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:34 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
usinvestment's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: AZ
Posts: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlow46 View Post
How do you avoid galvanic corrosion when using stainless in aluminum? Does it depend on the quality of the stainless?
Anti-Seize is designed for that. It's a copper based paste that can help eliminate the corrosion between dissimilar metals.
__________________

__________________
Phillip, AZ, 2013 Fleetwood Storm, Roadmaster Front Stabilizer, Koni FSD Front Shocks, DIY Rear Track Bar, CHF, 5 Star Tune, 2010 Kia Soul Toad
usinvestment is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
scr



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.