Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2013, 09:11 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Exterior Speaker Connection

I'd like to install some type of junction box in a compartment door so that I could set up a set of exterior speakers. Ideally it would be something similar to an outdoor GFCI type cover over a junction box that would actually be accessible without having to open a storage compartment. Is there some type of a simple plug connection available to do this? If anyone has done anything similar please advise me of what you have and where I might get it. Hopefully we can find something and wire up a connection for each side of the MH so that we can move the speakers to either side of the MH.

Thanks !!

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2013, 09:16 PM   #2

Oh boy, you are asking for the sound Nazis on this forum to start lecturing you on having loud music outside in campgrounds.

Get ready.
rexabbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:21 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexabbot View Post
Oh boy, you are asking for the sound Nazis on this forum to start lecturing you on having loud music outside in campgrounds.

Get ready.
Yeah I recall my wife giving me hell for the outside TV and/or the radio speakers barely whispering from the basement compartment. "It's too loud", "People are going to get mad"........And on and on. I finally just closed the basement door and ended that.
TRAILERKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:42 PM   #4

Many options, from mickey mouse to pro.

Using an outlet box, or bell box inside storage bay makes for easy work, but now a box to bang your head.

You can get the round pro style audio connectors that are commonly used for mics and things, very common, well made and not expensive due to very common use.

They have flush mount connectors that you can mount inside the bay walls or anyplace, and they also have outdoor versions.

Connections and control at the source are also easy, many auto stereo places have many options to choose from.

Visit a couple and see what they have to offer, this is what they do for a living and are likely to know all of the wrong ways as well as several correct ways to do what you wish.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:53 PM   #5

Nothing beats camping like having to shut your windows and run all ac units on full blast on a 75deg day because your obnoxious neighbor insists on playing his music on outside speakers.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:53 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Is it alright to watch the ballgame if I keep the volume low,PLEASE. As far as the speakers maybe put in some speaker jacks inside the compartment. This way you could plug in a couple speakers and wouldn't need a cover. Jim
Old 05-27-2013, 06:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
Nothing beats camping like having to shut your windows and run all ac units on full blast on a 75deg day because your obnoxious neighbor insists on playing his music on outside speakers.
Or loud Harley pipes!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	harley.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	349.4 KB
ID:	39635  
bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:39 AM   #8

A prior owner or some mechanic ran standard 14/2 120V line from the utility bay junction box to 5 of my 10 basement compartments. In series. It doesn't look great, but it works well. The basement compartment outlets are standard metal wall boxes with metal cover plates. I use them all the time camping and doing maintainence / repairs during storage instead of an extension cord from the house.
None are GFCI. The leading one should be. so I will upgrade that. Maybe I'll even paint the cover plates and impress everyone. thx
MustangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
You don't have any idea where he will be using his speakers.
Hopefully he won't be anywhere near you. I saying that for his sake.
I knew you show up on this post - you always do.
rexabbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:32 PM   #10

ya the world is for only some peoples life style and nobody should intrude..
Old 05-28-2013, 02:01 PM   #11

Well then i guess i'm banned everywhere! Just did a basement install last weekend, soundbar going in soon! And yup we got two of them loud pipe harley things to include 200 watts of onboard stereo. And let's not forget the 3300 watt stereo on my boat guaranteed to rattle your inards!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tv.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	39670   Click image for larger version

Name:	hd.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	39671  

Name:	59966_1382670094281_5050585_n.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	39672  
Razzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:19 PM   #12

well no offense but you just made it seem like its a problem with you, if its around...but I guess all is good ..as if you have it you must use it or it would be a waste....jeff
Old 05-28-2013, 02:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
well no offense but you just made it seem like its a problem with you, if its around...but I guess all is good ..as if you have it you must use it or it would be a waste....jeff
Hey beenthere if your referring to me I'm not quite sure how you garnered that from my post but it's all good, I was making light of the noise nazis that poke their heads up at the first mention of the mention of sound. Those that have it generally know how not to abuse it. Of course there's always those that don't too as with anything else.
Razzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:39 PM   #14

oh sorry it was pirate...dang jiggling around in the van while daughter is driving strains my concentration...jeff