Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2019, 07:06 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Exterior TV?

As we continuing to look for our first MH, we came to another head scratcher, at least to us. For those of you that have an outside entertainment system/exterior TV, do you use it and would you get it on your next HM? I assume the awning blocks enough sun to make it viewable durning the day? What are the pro & cons to it and is it worth the $?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2019, 07:16 PM   #2

I Had the exterior TV/entertainment system with my last two RVs and use it often. Great for sports and happy hours.
Old 08-17-2019, 08:04 PM   #3

I love mine 40 inch screen plus satellite radio with a sound bar what more could you want.
chef 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 12:00 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Use it all the time - It's worth every penny just for those sunny Sat & Sun football games days up north when we're camping.

But the sun will make viewing hard at times if the TV is not on a swivel mount. I actually made a custom swivel mounting plate in the first motorhome because it was fixed from the mfg.
mike625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 12:37 AM   #5

The awning might block direct sunlight (as does the door on the TV bay) but you still have bright reflections that wash out the picture on a sunny day. A good glare filter will definitely help, but those relatively inexpensive TV's in the outside bays are simply not bright enough to overcome a sunny day. TV's made to be bright enough for outdoor settings are really pricey.
I use mine mostly to display album art when playing music outside, but on a cloudy day or sometimes for night football games, we'll watch outside.
I like having the outside entertainment center and would definitely have one in any RV I bought.
Old 08-18-2019, 05:46 AM   #6

Standard on many class A's

Yes you will use it and it is almost always on the buyers list so great for resale
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 06:36 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
hi mine is on a swivel so between compartment door, awning and swivel no problem with sun glare I personally think you'll love it after reading post now I want a sound bari do have sound system so now I need to figure out how to wire tv sound to out door speakers thanks for the extra work
get it you'll use it for sure football season is gearing up college only for me if they take a knee I will not watch NFL the flag and which it stands for means to much to me!!!! GOD BLESS THE USA Rick & Karen
roadking1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:22 AM   #8
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I would not base my purchase on an outside TV but rather on the layout of the interior. If you are comfortable inside you will be comfortable outside. There are many configurations to consider. Personally we enjoy walking into a Living area and preferably the front of the coach. When the captain and co-pilot chairs are turned into the living area company can communicate without shouting across a kitchen.

We also don't like opposing couches with a TV that raises up behind one of the couches. At least, that is us. Reason, if I invite you over for a cold one and game on TV you would have to kneel down on the couch to watch TV and guess what I'd be watching - your back side. Yes, I know there are configurations with TV's up front but my neck doesn't like them.

My point is, don't base you decision on an outside TV unless it is an extremely important part of your life that you cannot do without.

With that said, our last MH did not have an outside TV and we didn't miss it. This new to us does have one and in two years of ownership we have used it about 3 times for about an hour or so each time. As for glare, I swivel and/or adjust the back-light.

Good luck on your next purchase.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:46 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Unusable during the day. Used once for a movie party. Used to use it to set up Sat Dish. Got rid of it. Gets dirty on road and wet on rains.
Waste of money.
Old 08-18-2019, 08:51 AM   #10

When we went looking for our new MH, an outside TV was on the list. We did get one and love it. I watch a lot of sports and news. I don't want to be stuck inside during the viewing times. I also get up early and it is nice to go outside to watch the news and not wake anyone. We also have a sound bar outside that has Bluetooth. It's nice to hookup our Sirius from our phone to the sound bar and listen to music when we are sitting outside.

We love the outside entertainment system and won't have a coach without it.
Old 08-18-2019, 08:55 AM   #11

We have an exterior TV and never use it and never will.
Old 08-18-2019, 09:29 AM   #12

Don't have one myself, but have enjoyed the neighbors when a NFL game is on down in Mexico. Many of us sitting around the ol' TV outside, sipping brews, swappin' stories. Watching professional players perform extraordinary feats of athleticism. Doesn't get better than that. Especially if the RV is parked with the side the TV faces north so the TV is both shaded and under the awning the entire game.

I wasn't looking for a newer RV with one because as mentioned the inside and chassis are more important considerations. However mine does have an outside entertainment center in a basement compartment under the passenger side LR window I use often when I'm working outside, but sadly, no TV, just radio/CD. It does, however, have TV coax connector, an AC outlet, and a 12 Volt outlet so if I wanted to drag my BR TV out and hook it up, that would work too.

I would say if you have the opportunity to order it with one, go for it. But if you're looking for used, it should be down on the list.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 10:35 AM   #13

I have an exterior TV and use it on occasion. Good for watching sport events. With the sun in the right place and the awning out no issues with the picture.

Actually a bit of a conversation starter during football season. Go E.A.G.L.E.S.!
Old 08-18-2019, 10:41 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
The awning might block direct sunlight (as does the door on the TV bay) but you still have bright reflections that wash out the picture on a sunny day. A good glare filter will definitely help, but those relatively inexpensive TV's in the outside bays are simply not bright enough to overcome a sunny day. TV's made to be bright enough for outdoor settings are really pricey.
I use mine mostly to display album art when playing music outside, but on a cloudy day or sometimes for night football games, we'll watch outside.
I like having the outside entertainment center and would definitely have one in any RV I bought.
Ours came with a high quality LG 4K smart TV and we have had zero difficulty viewing as the awning is extended because we don't like sitting in the sun while watching a game.