Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2014, 07:43 PM   #1

Exterior Wall Checking/Cracks in Gel Coat

I have this posted in the Newmar section but haven't gotten a lot of responses. Since apparently from what I understand that issue applies to several manufacturers I though I would cross-post the question here to see if others have had this issue.

I have first refusal on a 2005 Newmar that is currently in winter storage. I know the coach has been very well maintained. I have been reading a lot about the outer panels cracking/crazing. How big of a concern is this? Is this something that "might" happen or is this something that "will" happen. Is this prevalent in darker colors only or does it happen to all coaches?

While I have read a lot on the subject at this point, there doesn't seem to be a consensus as to how much this happens, why it happens, and whether it is a problem that is only cosmetic in nature.

Should this be a deal breaker, especially since the repair cost is basically the cost of the used coach. Since this coach is in the northeast and not the southwest where the summer temperatures are so high, is this even a concern?

Sorry for all the questions, but the repairs appear to be the asking price of the coach, which would effectively put me near a new coach cost.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2014, 07:35 AM   #2

The problem is pretty easy to see. Look for what looks like little bubbles under the paint, especially the dark colors. Not all Newmars of that year have the problem. I'd call Newmar and ask, giving them all the info on the coach. You'll need the Vin# to give them. Now, if it does have the problem....I'd walk away. It's an expensive fix as you know.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:56 AM   #3
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Newmar's aren't the only coaches to fall into this "checking" issue.
Fleetwood has also had this problem in about the same year. I met a guy who had checking in the black area of his 05 Revolution. I have also seen it on the dark red on a Tiffin of about the same year.
Bubbling I believe was an issue suffered by Alpha and I haven't seen that on other coaches as yet.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:12 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Looking back at your other post, this is NOT a structural problem only cosmetic and as suggested by another poster to walk away if it has it? Well, I guess you'll be walking away from a lot of coaches then. This was an on going problem with panels provided from the manufacturer due to the material used in the manufacturing process. As I mentioned before this was a problem with quite a few manufacturers not just Newmar. Good luck in your search and do hope you find a coach to your liking.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:38 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you have the Vin # of coach you can access the COM_NET link and input the number for direct information of that particular coach build information.
The build date and material used.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 03:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
Looking back at your other post, this is NOT a structural problem only cosmetic and as suggested by another poster to walk away if it has it? Well, I guess you'll be walking away from a lot of coaches then. This was an on going problem with panels provided from the manufacturer due to the material used in the manufacturing process. As I mentioned before this was a problem with quite a few manufacturers not just Newmar. Good luck in your search and do hope you find a coach to your liking.
If it is a cosmetic issue, then we can evaluate it when the coach comes out of storage and decide what to do. For the price range we are looking at for our first RV, we would really need to up our initial outlay to buy a newer coach if it gets us out of the questionable years. However, on the flip side, this is by far the cleanest best maintained coach we have seen other than new. It has been very well taken care of and looks new. However, we looked at it last fall prior to winter storage and I really didn't get a chance to go over it to check for this issue.

So if it is only a cosmetic issue, then I likely won't walk away from this coach. If is a bigger structural issue, I will have no choice.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:43 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Its called THERMAL CRACKING and not every coach in 2004-2008 has it, the cracks will get bigger. When you go to sell it no one will pay a fair price, just like you wont
Forewarned, forearmed. If you like it buy it on the cheap.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:17 PM   #8

Spoke to customer service at Newmar this afternoon. They were very helpful and friendly. This issue, as stated, affects several brands of those years. The fiberglass strands are poking through the outer gel coat and are most noticeable with a darker color because the strands are light in color. Heat helps hasten the process. He also told me this is not a structural issue, it is cosmetic only.

So at the end of the day, the coach I am considering is below the low NADA value and extremely well cared for. So unless I find some major issue, I don't this issue is a show stopper although I am not even sure the coach has this issue.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:32 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As note, it is not structural. My previous coach, a 2002 Winnebago Journey, developed the checking at about 5 years of age. I had the coach sanded, the cracks filled with high fill primer, and painted. It was not cheap and the coach looked fabulous. However, by the time I traded the coach last year, the checking was starting to reappear in some areas.
Most folks did not notice the checking but I knew where it was and could see it when the light hit it just right.

When we were shopping for the coach we have now we looked at a 2006 Newmar Mountain Aire and a 2005 Essex. Both had the dark brown exterior color but neither coach had any checking that I could see.

Look at the coach in bright sunlight and look at it from several angles.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:40 PM   #10

Thanks for the tips. The coach is in New England so I don't think it has had much if any high heat exposure like it would in a southern or southwestern state.