Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2009, 09:36 AM   #1

Extra motor for Alpha See Ya..do I need one?

My "new-to-me" '03 Alpha See Ya, has a large slide-out. A neighbor RV'r said that Alpha's burn out their motors for the slide....should I buy an extra motor, and what/which one is it?
Bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2009, 07:46 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I wouldn't rush out and get a spare motor on the advice of one person. It wouldn't hurt to have an RV technician look over your rig to evaluate the condition of the components that are likely to fail from age such as belts, hoses, steering parts, etc.. Then, if you want to carry a good selection of spare parts, stick with the ones that make the most sense. These typically include belts, fuel filters, fuses, AC start capacitors, and a few others. Second suggestion. Learn to take the advice of other RV owners with a grain of salt. Most of us are bursting with well-meaning opinions. After a while, you'll start to learn what makes sense and what doesn't.

In terms of your slide-out, there are a few tricks that may help you to keep it running smoothly. For example, it's best to leave your engine running while extending and retracting your slides (and jacks). This will ensure that your batteries are always charged enough to get the job done. Likewise, make sure your rig is pretty level before using the slides. This will minimize the likelihood of jamming. Best of luck and no doubt, we'll see you around. Welcome aboard.

Jack
Old 12-10-2009, 08:06 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I used to own a 2000 Adventurer and carried a spare passenger side rear view mirror for several years. After cleaning out the bin to make room for more useful stuff I decided that I had carried the mirror long enough sooooo I put the mirror in my garage. It wasn't but a few weeks later when on a trip to Arizona I had a close encounter with a passing truck that had real wide mirrors. The moral of the story is you can never have too many spare parts.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:17 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Smile

IMHO Jack is right on. If I carried a spare for everything that might go wrong I would not have any room to carry all the items I do to have a great outing.

George
GeoSKlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 04:50 AM   #5
paz

As far as buying a spare slide motor, most RVs have a way to disengage the motor to operate the slide manually if the motor fails. IMO, learning how to do that would be a better solution to a potential problem that may never occur.

Operating the slide manually would allow you to get set up if the failure happens when you arrive at your destination or to get on the road if the failure happens as you prepare to depart. Although it might be a good idea to find out what size and type of motor you need ahead of time, you would only need to buy a replacement motor if and when you need one.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 05:50 PM   #6

I suspect a lot of these motors get replaced by hack tech's who haven't check the state of the solenoid switches that run the motors. Those solenoids arc each time they are engaged, and the burn marks make high resistance. The solenoid is a) cheap, b) easy to replace, and c) very regularly found to be keeping the motor from getting full amps to operate.

Long before I'd carry a spare motor, I'd carry spare solenoids. Then I'd get advice from the other Alpha dogs out there on the motor. Maybe if you travel w/an Alpha club, you can carry one spare motor per ten rigs?
Old 12-14-2009, 07:37 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As far as which one you need, the numbers are on the motor. I have to replace my main slide motor and that's where I found mine. An RV tech checked out the switches and solenoids, I have power to the motor, but it will not extend, but will retract.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 03:21 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I notice that none of the responders are Alfa (spelled ALFA) owners. The first couple of years of Alfa's manufacture (starting in 2002) the motor was not large enough to move the big slide and positioned at one end rather than in the center. Many if not all motors failed due to too much of a load. Most owners have replaced the motor with a Klauber brand, mounting it in the center of the slide. Any of the three good Alfa repair places can replace the motor. I have been able to avoid the problem by running the engine when operating the slide and being careful that the batteries were being charged in the charge cycle (ie. 14.4 volts rather than acceptance or float) which gives enough amps to the motor to prevent overheating.
ABus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 03:26 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Since you are a new Alfa owner, join one of the Alfa Yahoo groups such as the Alfaseeya or SeeYaDP and you will get better answers from people who have been there and done that. There is a world of information on these sites.
ABus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:31 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Talking

[QUOTEI notice that none of the responders are Alfa (spelled ALFA) owners.[/QUOTE]

I'm assuming that as a Tiffin owner, you're making an exception on this one.

Jack
Old 12-24-2009, 07:44 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I guess the rest of us "other branders" should keep our mouths shut.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote