Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-09-2014, 10:11 AM   #15
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I use mine more in the winter than summer, in very cold temperatures (below 0 many times).

I would definitely recommend a Genturi for your generator exhaust, if you get wind from wrong direction or snow you could be exposing yourself to Carbon Monoxide.

Make sure you use your ceiling vent for showering, cooking etc. The extra moisture is important to get out of the interior.

If you are running your generator, I would consider extra space heater for your comfort, but may not be required.

I prefer a heated mattress pad instead of the heated blanket, but that is a personal preference.

I would also purchase a wireless thermometer for your basement so you can monitor the temperature in the basement, especially utility compartment. I would place a space heater in utility compartment as a backup just in case, I have found 100 watt bulb isn't sufficient on some nights with the wind/cold. I also lay an old blanket on the plastic bottom which has drain holes in it for extra insulation.

Leave your glow plug plugged in the night before you leave and make sure you have filled with winter blend diesel or appropriate additive.

I have never had any problems other than a black valve freezing shut once, since I keep the space heater in case I need to thaw things out.

I built my own heated hose, very easy, but you won't need that based on no utilities available.

I put out my slides, heat was already on, if I'm running generator or have electricity the heated tile floors is on, and enjoy.

I have spent many days in below 0 weather, in CO, SD, KS, and MO, I think you will be surprised how easy it is, especially if you don't have water/sewer hoses laying on the ground. Good luck!

Johnny Rotten
2009 American Eagle 42'
Trailering HD Road Glide and Saab 9.3 or Cadillac Escalade ESV
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2014, 06:21 PM   #16
Entegra Owners Club
A moment here

Camped at daughters house in driveway over the holidays in Northeast Ga. - all good until we saw forecast coming our way of 6-9 degrees. We were worried about our first time caught out in our 2013 Tiffin Alllegro Red 38 ft.'r. Went and topped off the LPG the day before cold front arrival. I believe the fill tech overfilled our LPG tank (yes happens all the time). When we repaired at the daughters house, temp dropped below 15 d., and we suddenly could not keep both furnaces running. At first I thought it was just low fuel pressure due to low temps, as one furnace would run just fine. Upon checking, the supply hose was solid ice form the tank to the regulator, and when trying to fire the second furnace ( either one) it would cough backfire fart then quit. As someone familiar with fluid properties and thermo, it was clear to me I was getting liquid "slop" out of the tank and into the furnace fuel regulators. Ran fine on one furnace.

I put a work lamp in the basement and a 1500 watt ceramic heater in the cabin, stayed toasty but we lost the water before the sun went down. Hit 5-6 degrees overnight, cold as h#% foe the next 3 days. Finally thawed out yesterday afternoon, with apparently no damage. Whew!

Make sure you know your LPG/propane system and ensure it is not overfilled before cold snaps.....and finally, if you have heated wet bays, make sure you know how the system works and which furnace heats the bay. I didn't.

Just glad we apparently skated past that one with minimum discomfort. Sure didn't expect to hit 4-6 degrees in Atl. Ga.!

mymyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:25 PM   #17
Thor Owners Club
Youtube has great video's on this.
Thor 37GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:27 PM   #18

Glad all worked out OK - learning from first hand experience is everlasting.

Libero is offline   Reply With Quote

camping, cold weather