Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2009, 10:57 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Wow! That would ruin my whole day. Talking to a retired long-hauler last night, he told me a similar tale - it happened to a friend of his, and they charged him with the accident! I guess that would ruin your next day, too.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2009, 11:37 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktie.shooter View Post
Wow! That would ruin my whole day. Talking to a retired long-hauler last night, he told me a similar tale - it happened to a friend of his, and they charged him with the accident! I guess that would ruin your next day, too.
What did they charge him with, being at the wrong place at the wrong time???
I had just passed the troopers that were sitting looking for seatbelt violators,they showed up right away. I had to almost force them to do a "police report" for my company.They didn't want to they said because, there was nothing I could have done to avoid what happened.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:51 AM   #17

It is common in Western states for very high winds to exist especially in the mountain passes. There are usually many signs posted about high wind possibility and the danger of high profile vehicles - RV's. One such warning is on 58 to Tehachapi where rigs often overturn. The same is the 215 heading towards the Cahjon pass. Some states even place wind socks in these areas.

In the Mojave desert cross winds of 60 mph are common, the Santa Ana's are often 60 mph plus.

A prudent driver in a high profile vehicle pulls over and waits it out. Imprudent drivers are those who can not control their vehicle and cause an accident often involving others or who just flip over. Your choice prudent or imprudent.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:57 AM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Worst cross wind I've had to date WITH THE RIG put me half on the shoulder (Right lane to right shoulder) no damage, no bang, no problem, I compensated

Worst cross wind I ever dealt with I was on foot. walking up Capitol AV in Battle Creek Michigan, I was on the west side sidewalk, wind was out of the west, When I came out from beside Michigan National Bank, on Michigan Ave, I was suddenly standing on the double yellow line in the middle of Capitol AV, it's 4 lanes there.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:19 PM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Don't we all hate the wind. We have been in wind trouble several times. this is what prompted me to install an awning lock and cut 1" doweling to fit in as locks for my slide outs. Several times the wind has been strong enough to "bounce" the slides and push me over in the lane and beyond. Now when the wind hits that strongly, I just pull over and wait it out.
Craig Heyne & Co-Pilot/Navigator Sharon. 2007 Voyage 33V W20. Brazel's Ultra Power Permormance kit. CAI, Reprogramming, plug wires, Steer-Safe, Suzuki Grand Vitara toad, two spoiled cats and a GPS set to infinity.
Craig H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 01:55 PM   #20

If a person could just figure out how to turn the wind around and be a tailwind; just think of the miles per gallon you would get.--some how it always seems to hit you sideways.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:59 PM   #21

Trucker101,
Were you completely empty? Both my step son and son-in-law drive big trucks too and have related similar "running empty" tales. When my step son is loaded(100,000# permit) wind is no problem. He weighs out over that sometimes but only travels back roads. He's not beating up the Interstates.
racer0624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 04:34 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Grump View Post
It is common in Western states for very high winds to exist especially in the mountain passes. There are usually many signs posted about high wind possibility and the danger of high profile vehicles - RV's. One such warning is on 58 to Tehachapi where rigs often overturn. The same is the 215 heading towards the Cahjon pass. Some states even place wind socks in these areas.

In the Mojave desert cross winds of 60 mph are common, the Santa Ana's are often 60 mph plus.

A prudent driver in a high profile vehicle pulls over and waits it out. Imprudent drivers are those who can not control their vehicle and cause an accident often involving others or who just flip over. Your choice prudent or imprudent.
That was my first time on that road, and I don't remember seeing a sign. Even if I had, I would never have expected a shot like that. I do make the conscious choice to be a prudent driver, and would never have knowingly driven into something like that. I have driven through many desert crosswinds, and none of them were anything like that. And I did control my coach, I'm just saying it was extremely difficult - which is why I would have avoided it - had I known.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:52 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Grump View Post
{cut & snipped}
Where I was there wasn't even a hint of wind,but as fast as you can snap your fingers my drivers side was being lifted up. It was like driving through a wall of 100 mph+ wind. If I had any warning of this type of wind ahead of me,yes I would have pulled over & waited it out,like I have done many times before & since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer0624 View Post
Trucker101,
Were you completely empty? Both my step son and son-in-law drive big trucks too and have related similar "running empty" tales. When my step son is loaded(100,000# permit) wind is no problem. He weighs out over that sometimes but only travels back roads. He's not beating up the Interstates.
Yes I was completely empty. The next afternoon while riding with one of our drivers to get back home, it almost happened again. Then a month later I was in my new truck, en route to my old truck to get the rest of my stuff from it, when I was in the same area (empty again) the same thing almost happened again.
Toto...we ARE back in Kansas
Old 06-07-2009, 07:13 PM   #24

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Two years ago late September we were heading west in SD and ran into strong winds. Rt 90 East was closed for construction and west bound was one lane each direction. We were fighting to keep the coach on the road and a TT came East. When we met I was pushed onto the shoulder and the windshield wipers were lifted off the windshield at least 3 inches. A while later we had a trmenous sound from the roof, I thought an air conditioner had blown off. Turned out to be the sat dish was vibrating as the wind had gotten under it and was causing the vibration.
As SML Ranger said above the trip from Mitchell to Rapid City was not fun and I do not look forward to doing it again
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:39 AM   #25

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It does seem that it's not always possible to see the warning signs since there may not be any or they're too subtle to notice. Unfortunately, it means that is some cases, you're going to get hammered weather you like it or not. My advice? If you're traveling in a place that has notorious winds...too bad. Maybe you'll be lucky.

Jack
Old 06-08-2009, 08:59 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In Arizona, on I8, between I10 and Gila Bend it is common for high wind gusts. Many times one can see them as others have described in this thread, but I have been hit without seeing any visual clues (outside of the sudden change of scenery out the windshield). Another precaution I take in these kinds of areas is to take it off auto pilot (cruise control).

The Hamptons
2015 Newmar Ventana LE 3436
2005 Mini Cooper S
Ceratto's Grotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:24 PM   #27

I don't think I have ever driven across Texas, new Mexico or the Mohave with out wind, strongest were 50+ MPH and the slide cover was unwrapping put some duc tape on it and got on home but were my wrist and arms tired
Chuck Linn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:18 AM   #28

Sudden Lane Change

Luckily, we were in the right lane (slow) doing 55 MPH, going down hill from Kingman AZ heading to Laughlin NV when we were hit with a crosswind that put us in the left lane (fast) before we could react. Light traffic at the time, so no one was in the lane. Do not have a steering stablizer but am considering a Steer-Safe system before traveling again.

Bitafun2 is offline   Reply With Quote