Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2014, 06:13 PM   #29

I just set mine on the dash, over on the drivers side. Sits right there on the dash and works fine. No permanent mount needed.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2014, 06:20 PM   #30

Got mine in WV, $5 per year and it gives me "free" tolls at one spot on WV TP (our only toll road). Lady at DOH said that I only needed one for truck, and they would pick up the Travel Trailer when it was connected and bill my credit card accordingly. So far that has proved true, including I-95 through to Maine. Of course FL still runs their own system, though they don't tell you this when you go through the toll gates. No problem switching vehicles according to her, but should send new Plate Number to them.

Old 03-19-2014, 06:30 PM   #31
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Florida will bill on license plates, especially for out of staters, so just run those toll booths. They'll bill you.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:13 PM   #32

You can get EZ Pass anywhere online. It will be fine top ctr or bottom ctr. It's pretty small. Is velcroed in place so you can remove it if you find it unsightly but I never notice mine now. Now, driving with a dog like that up there would bother me. Fl will bill you but chare you $2 xtra. Theirs is really small and thin. Called Sunpass.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:18 PM   #33
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
He likes to be there when we are out. Put up the shade and climbed up there all by himself. We leave the shade up now. Only climbed up there once while we were driving. Fortunately it was just maneuvering out of a fuel stop.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:36 PM   #34

I am planning a trip out east that will involve toll roads in Indiana, Ohio and Pennsylvania. In checking on the web, it appears that we can save a good bit of money by using EZPass. We would be traveling in our motorhome without a toad.

My question is, If I get one for the motorhome, can it be transferred to my car for other trips? I also noticed that there is a monthly fee of $1. Can the service be shut down (to avoid the charge) between trips?
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:01 PM   #35
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Last November I inquired with the Turnpike authority in Florida about this question. I was told FL EZ pass only works in FL., but talks were ongoing with other states. I didn't buy one, just stopped at toll-booth's and paid, not any one booth delayed me for over 5 minutes.
Ray, you do not have to pay at any of the booths. They will bill you off of your license plate. It says it on their signs and also I was told by a toll take at the first booth I stopped at.

No problems with this during the last 2 trips down there. The bills will show up in a couple of months.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:19 AM   #36

Mass is pretty much clueless about how EZpass actually works. I've had EZpass for about 15yrs, I think. I got mine online from NJ, because Mass required you to print off a form, fill it out, mail it in with a check for each transponder, etc. NJ had online form, I got 4 transponders, NO charge. There is a $25 charge if I lose one, or fail to return it when I close the account.
Mass claims that the pass is "married" to the plate on the car...not true. The pass is married to your credit card and is going to bill you the appropriate toll for whatever carries it through the toll booth DMV in Mass told me that if I went through a toll booth with a pass that was NOT registered to the specific plate, I'd be hit with fines and penalties. NOT true, period. Why they think they have to exert control over every aspect of your life is beyond me.
When I bought a truck and fifth wheel, I called NJ Ezpass. I was told to just use any one of my transponders. I asked what about towing, No problem, we bill you for what goes through. Mass tells people they need a special pass for motorhomes, you need a special pass for towing...on and on.
Clueless.
The EZpass in my motorhome was originally on a Honda Civic. It went from there to an F350 dually, that sometimes had a fifth wheel behind it...then to a Chevy 2500HD pickup, then to my sons 2001 Lincoln, and now in the Pace Arrow.

NOW...I'm in Fl...having moved down here 2 wks ago. FL uses SunPass, and will be moving over to EZpass in 2015, I think.
For SunPass, you can buy them at rest areas and convenience stores. There are two varieties. One is a "sticker"...about the size of a credit card, that you place on the inside of the windshield. The other is their "portable" model. Costs a few dollars more, but has suction cups, and is specifically for moving your Sunpass between different vehicles.

Jim
Old 03-21-2014, 09:57 AM   #37

You have to call the place that issued it and have it transferred. I believe they can change the numbers by computer to fit the vehicle. They are like the Govt so getting it done is another whole mess IMHO. I think you can shut it down anyime you want. FL has or did have one that attached to the liscense plate also but think they stopped it due to theft.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:48 PM   #38
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
PA EZ Pass lets you do everything on line. There is even a page to "register " all of your vehicles that use the passes, but there is no linkage to a specific pass. As long as each vehicle is registered there is no problem.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:50 PM   #39
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Registered on line with NY a few hours ago, quick and easy.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:29 PM   #40
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Got it in the mail today.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:41 AM   #41

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Sunpass costs money to buy the pass, then another amount to prepay your tolls. When I got my EZPass from NY, the pass itself was FREE! I just had to put an amount of prepaid tolls on the tags.

NY provided 2 EZ Pass transponders for my MH, one for use when towing, one for use when NOT towing. They have a special MH rate when not towing that is the same as a car. I also have a separate transponder in my Jeep. So that's 3 transponders for free.

The Sunpass transponder that can be moved is $25. Will this work in the MH if I'm towing my Jeep? How about when I'm not towing the Jeep? This seems a steep price for a transponder that might not work in all situations. I guess I will find ways around the tolls or just stop and pay!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:01 AM   #42

I purchased from NC. They cover Fl as well as northeast.