Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2018, 07:52 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
I’m going from Florida to Maine.
How many transponders do I need?
I have a Sunpass

Thanks for your help!
bobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2018, 08:20 PM   #16
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I have an EZ pass for the MH and one for the toad. When I'm towing I take the one out of the toad and put it in the plastic shield bag. EZ pass has always read my axles and I'm billed accordingly.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:40 PM   #17

The motor home is often, but not always, towing the Jeep.

I have one EZ Pass for the appropriate weight class for the coach only.

That’s it.
A Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:33 PM   #18
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
I just got an EZ-Pass from Ohio for our New England trip next month. They also told me I only needed the one transponder for the coach and that the system would read the number of axles and bill accordingly.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:44 PM   #19

So glad I stay out west where we dont' have toll roads....
wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:59 PM   #20

I now have 4 MA. EZ passes. I was in Boston last June and went to a MA. EZ pass office and got one for the MH and one for the toad. I told them I would be pulling the toad. Found out recently that the MH EZ pass they gave me was a regular passenger car EZ pass ( they have different classes for vehicles over 7' 6" or so and over a certain weight I believe). I was told if I was driving outside MA and I think it was N.H. and ME. also , I would have to stop at other's states toll plazas so could manually enter the extra axles of the dolly and toad.

I called them a few weeks ago regarding the toad pulling outside MA and having to stop at toll Plazas. They sent me 2 more transponders. 1 for the MH alone and another to use when towing a vehicle. At first the agent told me he would send a transponder for the MH and to leave one of the others I already had in the car. I knew that would most likely result in getting billed for pulling a toad and probably be billed for the toad also. He put me on hold to talk to a supervisor , then came back with the latest plan of the 2 transponders one for towing and the other for not towing.

Sun Pass (which I've had for years) is so much simpler, and you can get them almost everywhere down here, unlike MA. at least.
Old 05-08-2018, 11:12 PM   #21

FOUR EZ Passes? Good grief.

You only need one. I’ve traveled all over the eastern USA, including Massachusetts, and never had a problem using just the single EZ Pass in the coach.

You have vastly overcomplicated this process!
A Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 04:35 AM   #22

I register all my cars on one pass and just drive thru the pass only lanes. Even if the pass is in the other car, the system uses the plate # to bill my account.

I have 3 vehicles, including the MH, on my Sunpass and we leave it in the one car.

In NY we have a blue for MH and a white for 2 cars and a pickup.
We leave the white pass in the foil bag, so we don't get double charged when towing a car. I just drive thru the red light at the booth.

I still need the pass at some NYC tolls. They have gates.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 04:41 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warmrock View Post
I have a single Virginia EZ pass that includes pulling the toad. Did not bother getting one for the toad.
Same here. One pass seems to work for everything (toad, no toad, or trailer), wherever we go. They never miss an axle...unfortunately!
Old 05-09-2018, 05:28 AM   #24

I sort of went through the same thing in pa but on the website. I wasn't going to get a commercial ez pass for the little I drive on the tp etc. So here is what I did. I first purchased my transponder at my local vendor, Giant grocery store. I got transponder home and registered it online and first listed my pickup truck. It then has many lines to add vehicles and trailers so then I added my trailer (flat bed for equipment), then added the Class A rv no toad. So far this was three years ago or so and all has been fine.
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:12 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Traveler View Post
FOUR EZ Passes? Good grief.

You only need one. I’ve traveled all over the eastern USA, including Massachusetts, and never had a problem using just the single EZ Pass in the coach.

You have vastly overcomplicated this process!
I believe a lot depends on which state you buy your EZ Pass from. MA has different class passes depending on what you're driving. According to them I need 2 for the MH. One for towing with the additional axles set on the pass, and one to use if not towing. Any other vehicle would need its own EZ Pass to use if not being towed . With 4 EZ passes, I have one extra transponder.
Old 05-09-2018, 02:24 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-Oh View Post
I was told by Maryland EZpass to put the TOAD pass in the plastic bag and the RV's EZpass is all that's required. The system counts the number of axles and having 2 passes will result in a double charge.
Same here. Believe the bag they give you for the toad has some sort of material to prevent the transponder signal being read.

Bear in mind, that in most cases, it would be less toll to drive both vehicles through individually but not worth the effort in most cases. I.e. Chesapeake Bay Bridge. $2.50/2 axle RV and $2.50/toad using ExPass. Toll for pulling toad = $12. Might be worth it for a long state thruway. Unhook, go through toll booth, hook up and tow to end, un hook and drive through final toll booth.
Old 05-09-2018, 02:30 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
So glad I stay out west where we dont' have toll roads....
Except that rediculously expensive I-270 east from Denver which you don't know is a toll until you're already one it. They read your license plate and send you an invoice in the mail about a month after you use it.
Old 05-09-2018, 02:48 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjnt View Post
I sort of went through the same thing in pa but on the website. I wasn't going to get a commercial ez pass for the little I drive on the tp etc. So here is what I did. I first purchased my transponder at my local vendor, Giant grocery store. I got transponder home and registered it online and first listed my pickup truck. It then has many lines to add vehicles and trailers so then I added my trailer (flat bed for equipment), then added the Class A rv no toad. So far this was three years ago or so and all has been fine.
This is similar to what I did.

I decided to buy an EZ Pass while I was in PA and was going crazy with the conflicting information about commercial vs regular, toad vs no toad etc.

Finally I gave up and bought a retail one at a grocery store and keep it in the RV. It counts axles so will count the toad when it is attached. I'll move it to the car when just driving the car.

Look at it this way...there are tons of folks with an EZ Pass who don't always tow their cargo trailers, boats, etc. and they don't worry about a different pass when they are towing vs not.

I have a Sunpass in the toad and did not know until reading this thread that FL now accepts EZPass. Gotta figure out what to do now...
RMD3819 is offline   Reply With Quote