Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2016, 06:33 AM   #1

F-53 Chassis Work in Jacksonville FL

We recently got a 2012 Bounder 35K. It appears to be well maintained and has the original Michelin tires with about 11K miles on them. They look good to me but I want to have the alignment checked just to be sure everything is good to go for a planned trip to SE Arizona and back (4000 miles) in February.
I installed a Safe-T-Plus, a Super Steer rear track bar, and have Centramatics coming that will be installed when the alignment is done. I'd install the Centramatics myself but the lug torque in the chassis book says 450 Ft Lbs and I can't do that.
I'll also have them make sure the Safe-T-Plus is exactly centered during the alignment.
I'd like to hear from anyone in our NE Florida are regarding a reliable place to have the alignment checked and the Centramatics installed with the wheels torqued correctly on re-installation.
A local Ford dealer said they can do it for $100 but can only adjust the toe if necessary.
Camping World in St Augustine wants $300 and they use a mobile guy who set up his equipment in one of their bays.
Horton Truck Service seems to be the best option so far for about $200 after tax. They do work on several big rigs.
Any personal experience with these or others in my area would be appreciated.
JohnH12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2016, 06:46 AM   #2
Community Administrator

F-53 Chassis Work in Jacksonville FL

I've used Josam and would recommend them. They're in Orlando , but worth the trip.

http://www.josamusa.com/

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 07:01 AM   #3

John
Have you actually driven the coach yet. If so does it have any issues? The 2014 35K I just traded was wonderful to drive stock, the cheap handling fix improved it noticeably but it was always a pleasure to drive. Only drivability Issue I had with that coach was the 5k wail every time it hit an overpass and the 5 Star Tune mostly cured that.
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 07:08 AM   #4
Community Administrator

I agree as my stock 35E drove great , however after adding all that stuff, a good alignment is called for.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 07:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by z3406 View Post
John
Have you actually driven the coach yet. If so does it have any issues? The 2014 35K I just traded was wonderful to drive stock, the cheap handling fix improved it noticeably but it was always a pleasure to drive. Only drivability Issue I had with that coach was the 5k wail every time it hit an overpass and the 5 Star Tune mostly cured that.
I've only driven at speeds up to about 55 mph on some local and state roads. The coach drove fine on those roads. I haven't had the chance to get up on the interstate yet but will do so soon. I normally drive about 60~65 on the interstates and don't use cruise control much.
I'm a retired Navy aircraft mechanic with a pretty severe OCD when it comes to inspection and preventative maintenance.
I assume the 5K wail you speak of is the engine downshift and rpm surge when going up the overpasses. The 5 Star Tune may be next on the list but the budget only allowed for the chassis stuff to date. It's supposed to be plug and play so I can always order it while travelling and have it delivered at a predicted layover.
Right now my focus is on the alignment and getting the wheels properly torqued during the Centramatic installation. Too many so-called technicians out there only rely on the air ratchet and never touch a torque wrench.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:41 AM   #6

I'm a retired Army test pilot with an A & P license. My opinion is spending the money on chassis mods is putting the cart before the horse. Try doing the CHF
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/cheap...fix-72335.html
then drive and enjoy the coach. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Yes my 2016 Bounder with 600 miles on it has had the CHF done to it.
According to my owners manual the TQ on those lugs is 450 ft lbs
Old 01-05-2016, 09:34 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Any heavy truck shop front-end ought to be able to do whatever aligning is needed, so I would probably go with the truck repair place you mentioned. Or Josam's, if a trip to Orlando is ok - they are one of the best in the country. But your situation probably doesn't need great skill, and chances are there is nothing to be done anyway.

A truck tire shop can install the Centramatics, and I would do it before the alignment because the Centramatic changes the front wheel track ever-so-slightly. It's not fat, but it goes between the wheel and the hub, so makes the spacing a tiny bit wider. Not so much I would worry if just installing the Centramatic, but since you are getting it aligned anyway, it may as well be aligned the way you will drive it. The coach should be loaded a close to normal as practical too, for the same reason.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:43 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Check with Rick Baker RV in Green Cove Springs. Before I bought mine from him he had a mobile alignment guy come and align the front end. Since I didn't pay for it I don't know who he used, but I think he was out of Jacksonville. I do know that I could tell a difference in before and after the alignment.
Podivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:06 AM   #9

Thanks to all who replied with their thoughts and recommendations.
Podivin: I actually bought this coach as a consignment sale from Rick. I called and discussed the upgrades with Steve, the service manager. He referred me to Clay Tire just down the road from Rick's. They'll do the Centramatic installation for $10 per tire. The owner said they work on heavy trucks every day and have all the necessary equipment to do it right. I should get the Centramatic sets this Friday so they'll get installed either Saturday or Monday.
Steve also recommended Florida Laser Alignment out of Palatka. I talked with the owner and he'll come to my driveway with his laser setup, do the alignment, and make sure the Safe-T-Plus is properly centered. He's available for mid-next week so the alignment will be after the Centramatic installation.
Steve said he uses both companies routinely with no negative results from either one.
I also like the fact that both are local so if there's an issue, I can get to them easily if necessary.
Z3406: I definitely respect you credentials and advice. I spent 30 years in the Navy as an aircraft mechanic, turboprop flight engineer, and also have an A&P license so please don't take the following the wrong way.
I can't count the times that one of our best flying aircraft came in for a routine phase inspection and something serious, but previously undetected, was identified. I'm a firm believer in the concept of 90/10 percent ratio of scheduled vs unschedule maintenance. I also believe that a few hundred dollars invested in proven upgrades will be worth it. The CHF may still be in the future depending on the results of the trip to Arizona.
Take care all.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:23 PM   #10

My thoughts
To me PM is preventative maintenace . Everyone is going to have different ideas what items fit where. PM would be rotating the tires. Adding a dynamic balancing device to a set of tires not out of balance is adding complexity where it isn't necessary. Tires showing a wear pattern, a vehicle that pulls or has a steering wheel that is not centered is reason to have the alignment checked. Driving your coach and seeing any of these symptoms is cause to take action. Adding a lot of things to a vehicle just because they are available has never been my thing. I trust the engineers at Ford to produce a chassis capable of doing the job, if I didn't I wouldn't buy their product.
After owning a vehicle awhile I certainly agree there may be aftermarket products out there that can increase the performance or my enjoyment but I'm going to operate it awhile first and make my own judgement on may or may not need.
ie: My last coach had the 5 Star tune added.

The 2014 Bounder 35K I just traded in on the 2016 is a case in point. Any of the money you are spending on the chassis would have been wasted on that coach it rode and drove that well, I just hope the my new coach and your new coach are as good.

Funny thing is the reason I looked at this thread originally is I'll be driving my new coach to Jacksonville NAS next month and who knows I may need to know good alignment shop.
Old 01-07-2016, 05:21 AM   #11

z3406:
Be sure to check out the NAS Jax Skeet and Trap range if you're interested in shotgun sports. It's one of the best kept secrets on the base.

Tags
chassis, jacks