Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2012, 12:28 PM   #1

Question F-53 Master Cylinder

Today I was checking under the hood and saw a wire hanging on a 1999 Mountain Aire gasser, F-53 chassis with the V-10 Ford engine. Looking at it closer it had a switch /sender connected to it that had broken off from the side of the master cylinder. Would this be the sender for low brake fluid All dash indicator lights work as well as the brake lights and all others. It appears to have been broken for some time. I want to replace it but don't know what to ask for and have to remove the broken piece from the master cylinder. Any information would be appreciated.. Thanks, Jim
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2012, 01:32 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Jim,

A picture would be helpful to make sure we know what we are discussing but I'm betting it is the wire for the "cruise control cancel switch". Ford puts that switch on the master cylinder instead of the brake pedal.

Sound right?
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:48 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick-B View Post
Hi Jim,

A picture would be helpful to make sure we know what we are discussing but I'm betting it is the wire for the "cruise control cancel switch". Ford puts that switch on the master cylinder instead of the brake pedal.

Sound right?
Jim, Nick is right on the money. That is your cruise deactivation switch. There was a safety recall from Ford on the '99 F53 chassis to inspect and install a fuse on this very switch. You might want to go to Ford's recall website and enter your VIN to see if the repair has been made.
corvettec3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:03 PM   #4

Thanks Nick & Corvettec3 I knew there was something I was overlooking I do believe your right. I seldom used the cruise control so I wouldn't have known that was it until the next time I went to use it. I will also check for the recall. I'll put that on my to do list for tomorrow. Thanks Again, Jim
Old 02-01-2012, 02:57 PM   #5

The switch you are talking about was in the same condition on my 1999 F53 master cylinder. I just glued it back on and no problem with the cruise control or brakes. No check engine light came on.
homerbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerbw View Post
The switch you are talking about was in the same condition on my 1999 F53 master cylinder. I just glued it back on and no problem with the cruise control or brakes. No check engine light came on.
Thanks for the idea of gluing, I'll give that a try, what type of glue did you use? I have to be careful not to get the glue on that little shaft. I will also pick up a new switch just in case... Jim
Old 02-02-2012, 07:38 AM   #7

camperkids, I used a glue for plastic which was water safe probably a loctite product. I did this almost two years ago and it is still fine.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:16 PM   #8

Update on master cylnder switch

I had to go to a dealer to buy the switch after going to several parts dealers. I also found out what purpose the switch serves and its name. The name of the switch is the Brake Pressure Differential Valve Warning Switch and the purpose is to set off a warning either a light or buzzer if you have a drop of pressure on either side your brake circuit. Loss of brake fluid or a defective proportioning valve etc. I was going to glue it as was suggested but when the switch broke it lost a spring sooooo to the dealer I went at a cost of $38.00 I bought the switch, now to remove the broken piece and install it. A job for another day when its a little warmer. Thanks to all, Jim
Old 02-02-2012, 12:30 PM   #9

Good information about such a small plastic piece. I don't remember a spring so it might be a good idea for me to purchase and install a new one.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:55 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I have a 1995 Kountry Aire and I have been looking for a F-53 chassis manual, preferable a PFD download. Any help would be appreciated.
ARFFMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARFFMAN View Post
I have a 1995 Kountry Aire and I have been looking for a F-53 chassis manual, preferable a PFD download. Any help would be appreciated.
Go to the Ford chassis forum here on the site, there are some year models linked on there.
Neil
C-Leigh Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick-B View Post
Hi Jim,

Sound right?
Does that mean if the connector is off that the "cruise control" doesn't cancel? NOT!

I have the same "differential" switch on my Dodge Ram. The pin coming out of the switch broke off. I soldered it back on and very carefully put the connector back on. 120K and it is still working.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:01 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
1995 Ford F53-Electrical & Vacume, Chassis, Service Manuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARFFMAN View Post
1995 Ford Motorhome Service Manual -- Part# FCS-12214-95

1995 Ford F53 Stripped Chassis (Motorhome) Electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual -- Part # FCS-12260-95

I bought my paper copy manuals years ago from Ford customer service at
Technical Service Publications
EVTM
Dearborn, MI
Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:31 AM   #14

I have a similar problem. I had two different leaks in the rear brakes last year. All fixed and bled. Dash light is on. I unplug the connector from the side of the master cylinder and the light goes out. I have verified brakes working at all 4 wheels so I don't think the proportioning valve is stuck. I've also verified the e brake switch is functioning properly. Any ideas?
Lsarg27 is offline   Reply With Quote