Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2015, 04:17 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
F-53 Tire pressure valve stem access

Hello fellow class A owners, hope you all had a great holiday. On my F-53 chassis, access to the inner wheel tire pressure valve stem is impossible to reach, even to take the cap off. I thought about valve stem extensions and stopped into a local truck tire sales and repair shop here in SC. they are a large chain called Blacks Tires Service and they recommend against extending the valves due to excess strain on the valve stem and also that they also in many cases leak. I am going to stop by there this week and see if rotating the outer wheel will allow easier access to the valve stem.
Has anyone else dealt with this issue? If so, how did you resolve it?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2015, 04:40 PM   #2

I don't think that will work. They do make brass valve stems that will work.

Old 12-29-2015, 05:33 PM   #3

I have metal stems but also struggle with the inner duals. I use an extension for filling and checking air then remove prior to installing my TPMS sensors. I also find at times it's easier to reach between the tires than through the hole.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 06:15 PM   #4

Not on a F53 yet but on my old Workhorse Hurricane the PO simply put curved metal extensions on the outer wheels and long rubber extensions on the inner wheels available at just about everywhere. Never had a leak. Did make sure to check the tightness regularly. Properly installed extensions work well.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 06:54 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have extensions on my F53 with no leaks and no issues, I even have my TPMS screwed onto the end of it.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:04 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've had braided stainless steel extension on all the rears and hard lines on the front going into my sixth year and 32,000 miles. No leaks fast or slow.

Been using these - Air-Gardâ„¢ VHS Series | Dicor Products | Official Website on the rear and these - Air-Gardâ„¢ Solid Valve Extenders - AG | Dicor Products | Official Website on the front.

Also have TST 510 pressure sensors on each.

There are solid extension available but I can't recall where I saw them.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:16 PM   #7

Short extensions on inside duals and the proper filling tool does the trick. All it takes is the double sided push/pull type air chuck.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:35 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Extensions were the first thing I had the dealer do to mine. I have the braided stainless steel extensions that are fastened to a bracket on the center of my hub. Over 10K miles and no issues at all. Cost me just over $100 for the extensions and to have them installed.
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 08:51 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Heh, I have the opposite problem, my outside dual valve stems point away from me and a double ended chuck catches on the rim before it seats. I need to get a 90 degree chuck or u-shaped valve stems...
Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
Seeing the USA - 200 miles at a time
daveandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 11:59 PM   #10

I had the originals with braided extensions and rubber support plugs in the hand holes. Worked fine for 8 years but never liked relying on them. When new tire time came replaced with the single piece brass bent that are really solid plus they sit in the old rubber support plugs as well, gives me a better peace of mind.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:38 AM   #11

Stay away from the screw on extensions- they will leak, just a matter or time and when they do, it's probably not going to be at a convenient time/place. Look at this website Dually valve kits for Motor-homes, Busses and 6-wheeled chassis they have one piece stems that are bent to fit specific applications. I had them on my F-53 after I had an extension leak and ruin a time.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:25 AM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
I second what the truck tire store guy told you. Use a long dual foot air chuck. The best style has the outer chuck pointing straight out the shaft (not at an angle) and the inside chuck is at an angle with the shaft. You can get pressure gages the same way. If the tires were mounted right the openings in the wheels will be clocked on their studs and the metal valve stems can be slightly bent so they are pointing right into one wheel opening where you can get at both the inner and outer. There is a special type of valve stem cap for the dual wheels that you leave on while adding air and checking pressure. Yes there are all kinds of extensions that make it really easy to get at the valve stem but they all add one more thing that can leak (mine did). Metal (brass) stems are great if done correctly and you have the right inflation tool plus they are pretty much leak proof. Take your air chuck to the tire store with you and make sure they mount the tires and bend the stems so it works for you.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:34 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
Stay away from the screw on extensions- they will leak, just a matter or time and when they do, it's probably not going to be at a convenient time/place. Look at this website Dually valve kits for Motor-homes, Busses and 6-wheeled chassis they have one piece stems that are bent to fit specific applications. I had them on my F-53 after I had an extension leak and ruin a time.
X2, great product
Old 12-30-2015, 11:06 AM   #14

I currently have a set of the stainless braided extensions on the duals of my '97 Aerbus. They were not cheap and had them professionally installed but have had nothing but problems with one of them and constantly leaking. I am going to have them both removed and see about having a set of the extended brass valves installed at a truck tire shop.

Inthe70s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire pressure