Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2015, 03:38 PM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDSailor View Post
Is this a bad thing? I really don't know and am asking the question earnestly.
Please educate me.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
It all depends upon your personal perspective in life. As a business owner and corporate executive I, (and every other business owner), cannot be more content than when a customer agrees to pay what price I set.

Motorhome companies like Nexus and Newmar develop a loyal following, and their customers think nothing of paying whatever the posted MSRP is, (and even much more).

As a RVer myself, and an ordinary consumer of goods, I will NEVER pay retail or MSRP for anything, (unless it's absolutely necessary). For a motorhome, I shop nationally for a discount of at least 45% off MSRP, I will fly out to pick it up and make a vacation out of driving back home. I'm, on my 5th RV, and third motorhome. That's just me. For most, my way of living and shopping is just too much hassle. I enjoy it. And, once again, as a business owner and corporate executive I am grateful that everyone doesn't live this way!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2015, 08:27 PM   #16

I do not know of many Newmar owners who payed list. If you look at Nexus unit for sale you will see they have list and then a discounted price and most people who have posted negotiate a lower price.

I've not inspected a Nexus but lets assume that build and material are the same. What you are possibly saving is dealer profit and freight charges and getting the ability to have custom changes done that only a few places allow.

Their Class A is too small for me and doesn't have options I want. When I was investigating Super C, it was very interesting what features a Ghost had and it's price.

Old 09-19-2015, 08:52 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Factory Direct RVs

Buy Used from a private seller. Do your homework. Be picky.

Save $$$$$

Cheers!
Old 09-20-2015, 12:48 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatterbrain View Post
It's funny, I remember a bit over a year ago one of the guys from Nexus put a video up on YouTube about how much safer C-class RVs were than A-class units. Granted it was all typical salesman BS, but it was amusing. Now they are making a class A, I wonder if they still push the "class C is better" mantra?

As far as their "factory direct pricing", I'm not too impressed. On their website it lists the base price as 189,900, but simple things like wet sanding and buffing the paint are additional. Take a look at everything that is considered "optional" (like the house batteries) and start adding it up to get the rig outfitted like the video. Suddenly you're right there with Fleetwood, Thor and Winnebago (amongst others).
Is their rig built or outfitted better for the price? Possibly, but it's too soon to tell.

...perhaps some of the options you do pay for at NeXus and another manufacture you may not....but where you save on factory direct is the dealer delivery charges as well as the rest of the mark up you get at the hands of the dealer and that cost can add up to 40,000. I have bought band new dealer and I have bought brand new factory, this is my 4th and last MH but I would never by deer again....yes I have the new NeXus which is being compared to an Allegra and all and all I pretty pleased with the price I paid for the extras and the quality of the build and the materials keeping in mind that even the million dollar homes don't roll off the factory floor perfect.

WDK
Old 09-20-2015, 12:53 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I'm with Scatterbrain: where is the evidence that a Nexus quality is any better than anybody else? Or any less expensive once you compare apples to apples? So far those guys have demonstrated a great flair for salesmanship but I'm still waiting to see "the beef". Being named "best of the best" by some tv commentator doesn't strike me as proof of anything except looking pretty on tv. Naming a model the Bentley is a stroke of marketing genius, but that's about it.

Nexus uses the same construction techniques as anyone else, buys the same components, and pays industry standard wages to workers in the same region (Elkhart, IN) as many of the others. How did theirs get better or cheaper?
Instead of talking about it from a position of not knowing what your talking about, fly out there and take a look!!

WDK
Old 09-20-2015, 01:00 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Yah, I am skeptical of NeXus' boasting over their low price, as well. From the Newmar perspective, the Bentley looks to line up against the Ventana (not LE) 34-footers. You can get a lot of great options on a Ventana for the same price (after a typical 28% markdown from MSRP) as a Bentley with few options.

To the OP's factory direct question... Newmar sells darned close to factory direct. You can go the factory to design a custom build, e-mail the details to 10 dealers, pick the lowest price, and then pick the thing up at the factory as well. Awful close to 'factory direct', IMO. And decades of reputation backing it up. And 36,40, and 43-footers available too
Old 09-20-2015, 01:04 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillandJane View Post
...perhaps some of the options you do pay for at NeXus and another manufacture you may not....but where you save on factory direct is the dealer delivery charges as well as the rest of the mark up you get at the hands of the dealer and that cost can add up to 40,000. I have bought band new dealer and I have bought brand new factory, this is my 4th and last MH but I would never by deer again....yes I have the new NeXus which is being compared to an Allegra and all and all I pretty pleased with the price I paid for the extras and the quality of the build and the materials keeping in mind that even the million dollar homes don't roll off the factory floor perfect.

WDK
If you're paying 40k over MSRP for a coach you've encountered the worlds greatest salesman. I"m comparing the MSRP of the Nexus to the MSRP (not dealer invoice) of other comparable coaches. It's not uncommon for coaches to sell below MSRP, rather than above it; especially at this time of year. That's not to say their coach is overpriced, uncompetitive, or of a lesser quality. It's just to point out that there are indeed other diesel pusher coaches in the same price bracket that are the same size (or slightly larger). Beyond that I'm not making any sort of qualitative judgement on any of them.
Old 09-20-2015, 09:48 AM   #22

Nobody in this thread has said they paid MSRP or yet alone over MSRP. They are saying there is a lot of markup in MSRP, so buying from a dealer or direct there is room to negotiate. Where did the idea that buying direct means you pay their MSRP come from?

The lure of direct is in theory you don't incur the cost of a dealership, what is the burden a typical dealer adds, I'm not sure. but it has to cover their fixed costs, payroll and profit. This is above the fix costs and profit for the manufacture.

Buy what you want from whom you want, just don't assume what someone else paid or how well they negotiated based on where they bought.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:12 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post
Nobody in this thread has said they paid MSRP or yet alone over MSRP. They are saying there is a lot of markup in MSRP, so buying from a dealer or direct there is room to negotiate. Where did the idea that buying direct means you pay their MSRP come from?
Exactly. My sister and BIL were at Nexus a couple of months ago and they were deep in negotiation; the MSRP was a starting point just like any dealership.

I believe that the Lazy Daze factory direct prices are pretty much cast in stone, though. From looking at their website it seems to be "here's the price; take it or leave it."

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 01:20 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post

The lure of direct is in theory you don't incur the cost of a dealership, what is the burden a typical dealer adds, I'm not sure. but it has to cover their fixed costs, payroll and profit. This is above the fix costs and profit for the manufacture.

Buy what you want from whom you want, just don't assume what someone else paid or how well they negotiated based on where they bought.
X2...annoying that every who thinks they have done better come down on those who don't follow their philosophy.

WDK
Old 09-20-2015, 09:51 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatterbrain View Post
If you're paying 40k over MSRP for a coach you've encountered the worlds greatest salesman. I"m comparing the MSRP of the Nexus to the MSRP (not dealer invoice) of other comparable coaches. It's not uncommon for coaches to sell below MSRP, rather than above it; especially at this time of year. That's not to say their coach is overpriced, uncompetitive, or of a lesser quality. It's just to point out that there are indeed other diesel pusher coaches in the same price bracket that are the same size (or slightly larger). Beyond that I'm not making any sort of qualitative judgement on any of them.
Honestly, you sound like one of those guys that goes to Vegas and "tells" everyone he never looses...yeah people will nod their heads and go along with the story to be nice but nobody believes those guys......I am simply saying that you will not under normal circumstances buy brand new and pay less at the dealer than you will from factory direct. Right now, while you can order through the dealer and get what you want from the factory....thats not factory direct. Its a logical snowball....the factory is going to charge the dealer for a profit and the dealer is going to charge the buyer for a profit and weather that 10,000 more, or 40,000 more, its going to be more! You cut out the middle man and your bound to save some money especially when the company, in this case Nexus pays for your flight to come and get it.

WDK
Old 09-21-2015, 09:50 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I'm with Scatterbrain: where is the evidence that a Nexus quality is any better than anybody else? Or any less expensive once you compare apples to apples? So far those guys have demonstrated a great flair for salesmanship but I'm still waiting to see "the beef". Being named "best of the best" by some tv commentator doesn't strike me as proof of anything except looking pretty on tv. Naming a model the Bentley is a stroke of marketing genius, but that's about it.

Nexus uses the same construction techniques as anyone else, buys the same components, and pays industry standard wages to workers in the same region (Elkhart, IN) as many of the others. How did theirs get better or cheaper?
"I", who bought one never said the construction was any better though it is all steel and "every" manufacture does not yet do that and they don't use any wood except for their cabinet faces made by the Amish which as of now "every" manufacture is not yet doing that as well....at best I am sure the construction is the same or perhaps a little bit better though I am a bit biased because I got to meet the people on the line that built mine and I liked them and how they handled my issues with it quickly and directly.

As to the issue of weather or not a class C is safer than a class A.....IT GOES WITHOUT SAYING....all Class A's are death traps and your lucky to survive a major crash if you get in one but their crash rating is pretty good and they have not changed their minds about that.....however, they started building the Bentley because they think its a good product and it's selling like hot cakes and making them a lot of money.

Again, it is less expensive unless you can find another similar product that you can buy factory direct. No matter what the mark up is....you will pay more for a Bentley if NeXus sold their product to a dealer and believe me the dealers don't care who makes it.....if they are selling, they want part of that money and will mark it up accordingly

Lastly, you nay sayers are always ready to crap on something your not wanting to buy anyway...again"its always if you don't do as I do or think the way I do....you suck" is most of your mentalities...somebody is always going to throw rocks at their neighbor for what ever reason......if you don't want to buy one, or don't like it fine...I am quite happy with mine at the price I paid just like I would be if perhaps I wanted to spend the to buy a brand new Mountain Air....I don't, I bought a new Bentley, factory direct from NeXus.

WDK
Old 09-27-2015, 11:42 AM   #27

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks all.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 11:56 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillandJane View Post
"I", who bought one never said the construction was any better though it is all steel and "every" manufacture does not yet do that and they don't use any wood except for their cabinet faces made by the Amish which as of now "every" manufacture is not yet doing that as well....at best I am sure the construction is the same or perhaps a little bit better though I am a bit biased because I got to meet the people on the line that built mine and I liked them and how they handled my issues with it quickly and directly.

As to the issue of weather or not a class C is safer than a class A.....IT GOES WITHOUT SAYING....all Class A's are death traps and your lucky to survive a major crash if you get in one but their crash rating is pretty good and they have not changed their minds about that.....however, they started building the Bentley because they think its a good product and it's selling like hot cakes and making them a lot of money.

Again, it is less expensive unless you can find another similar product that you can buy factory direct. No matter what the mark up is....you will pay more for a Bentley if NeXus sold their product to a dealer and believe me the dealers don't care who makes it.....if they are selling, they want part of that money and will mark it up accordingly

Lastly, you nay sayers are always ready to crap on something your not wanting to buy anyway...again"its always if you don't do as I do or think the way I do....you suck" is most of your mentalities...somebody is always going to throw rocks at their neighbor for what ever reason......if you don't want to buy one, or don't like it fine...I am quite happy with mine at the price I paid just like I would be if perhaps I wanted to spend the to buy a brand new Mountain Air....I don't, I bought a new Bentley, factory direct from NeXus.

WDK
I've read all the posts and no one was picking on you or being rude. No one said "you suck etc".Relax and enjoy the conversations - everyone can have an opinion and doesn't need to get slammed for expressing it. Your response is the rudest one here.

WOW

cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rvs