Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2013, 08:09 PM   #1

Factory Solar Panel on '99 Itasca Suncruiser

Hi Everyone,

I have the factory solar panel and it doesn't seem to do much in keeping the house batteries charged. At least I presume that it is somehow connected to them since I have all the available wiring diagrams from Winnebago and cannot for the life of me find how this thing is wired up.

I'd like to remove it and connect at least a 100w panel with controller in it's place.

Does anyone know how this solar panel is connected. I know that it goes through the red LED on the "control panel" but that's about all I can figure out.

Thank you,
Barney
barney_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2013, 09:13 PM   #2

Many Winnebagos come with that standard factory 10w solar panel. We agree, ours doesn't really do much and I haven't really even thought about its function much or upgrading it.

Here's an old thread in the iRV2 Winnebago owners' forum started by a guy who did try to upgrade his and some cautionary advice he had that might help you out a bit as you wait on more responses on this:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/upgr...ing-52054.html

-harry
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:29 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to LandKinaMoho
The 10w is a chassis battery trickle charger.......
LandKinaMoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:49 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies. I guess there isn't any kind of controller, just diodes.

It would be nice to know where the wiring went.
barney_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandKinaMoho View Post
The 10w is a chassis battery trickle charger.......
I believe on our Winnebagos (Itascas), it's to the house battery bank. That's what I always thought, anyway.

-harry
Old 05-30-2013, 12:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by barney_g View Post
Thanks for the replies. I guess there isn't any kind of controller, just diodes.

Here's a link to wiring book to the 1999 Suncruiser (34H) ...maybe you'll be able to garner some information there. I haven't looked through each PDF so I'm not sure if any of them will show the wiring to the solar panel or not.

1999 Adventurer/Suncruiser G34H Wiring Diagram Book

-harry
Old 05-30-2013, 01:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by barney_g View Post

With all loads turned off and no other external sources connected to the MH, measure the voltage across your battery bank and across the chassis battery while the sun is shining. Note the readings. The one that reads over 13 volts probably is the one the solar panel is connected to. After dark measure the voltage across them again and they should be more or less even around 12.5 volts. The one that the reading dropped on has to be the one being charged by your solar panel.
rumrunnerxx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
itasca, solar, suncruiser