Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2005, 09:04 AM   #1

My wife and I are considering a possible Class A MH purchase, hopefully within the next year or so.

Being newbies, to say the least, I was wondering do most, if any and who, manufacturers factor in or allow or can you specify a factory inspections tour on a new order?

I know when we specify and order new fire apparatus we include it, as does the manufacturer usually, at least one sometimes two pre delivery inspections.

Our RV? A 1998 Coleman Westlake popup so we'll be looking for lots of advice here!!

Thanks!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2005, 09:04 AM   #2

My wife and I are considering a possible Class A MH purchase, hopefully within the next year or so.

Being newbies, to say the least, I was wondering do most, if any and who, manufacturers factor in or allow or can you specify a factory inspections tour on a new order?

I know when we specify and order new fire apparatus we include it, as does the manufacturer usually, at least one sometimes two pre delivery inspections.

Our RV? A 1998 Coleman Westlake popup so we'll be looking for lots of advice here!!

Thanks!!

Old 06-04-2005, 09:40 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Most RV mfgrs offer factory tours. If you time it so as to be when your coach is built you may get to see it on the line. Tiffin has the usual factory tours (twice a day - like most places) but, after the "official" tour is over, you can go back in and talk with any of the line workers and look around on your own.

I know of one person who spent a few days there while they built his coach and was in it most of the time while they were working on it. He even got to help. With insurance regulations and liability the way it is nowadays it was good to see some nice southern hospitality. I would have loved to have been there when they built mine but my schedule just didn't permit it.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 12:47 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
JIMMY JAM : After our order had been worked into the production schedule, my dealer was able to tell me WHEN my Newmar would be on the assembly line. I went to Napannee and entered the production building via the morning tour. They let me stay with MY coach to observe, take pictures of everything (except the Amish workers), and talk with the men building MY unit. I stayed with it for two days, even though day two production started at 5:00AM! It was an amazing experience. I was most impressed by the speed at which these craftsmen work and how they were thrilled that I cared about what they were doing. Almost every one of them said at least "hello" and quite a few told me how they loved working at Newmar because it's a team effort and the "higher" pay rates. I never saw such a coordinated effort in my life. Whenever a task required an extra set of hands, they showed up and got it done. I never heard any grumbling or shouting for someone to come do something- it just happens- and very fast too.

I was disappointed that I did not get there to see the chassis prep work. However, I was told that only employees are allowed in that building because of all the welding,etc.

Since most of these things cost as much or more than a house, I can't imagine buying one without at least checking on the construction.
I would highly recommend you take several factory tours-it might even influence your decision of which brand to buy based on your knowledge of how they are put together. What Cruzer posted about Tiffin is true. When we arrived there, the last tour for the day was over, but they allowed us to go in the production building and just look around. Amazing! I just wish I had been able to see them at work because some of the construction techniques are different. Good luck with your selection, and WELCOME TO iRV2.COM
Old 06-05-2005, 05:52 PM   #5
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimmy Jam:
Being newbies, to say the least, I was wondering do most, if any and who, manufacturers factor in or allow or can you specify a factory inspections tour on a new order? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Check back tomorrow night and I'll be posting about getting a "Factory Tour" at the Workhorse Plant in Union City, IN. From here you can go to any number of OEMs in Elkhart or elsewhere and see everything from the rails on up.

I hope you're posting suggests that you're looking for a Workhorse powered motorhome, if so You came to the right place!.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 04:10 PM   #6

Thnaks guys! I thought dealers probably would allow pre delivery visits.

From what I see, based on observations of 5th wheel, TT's and a few Class A mfg's, it seems Indiana is the place to tour when looking.

I am amzed at how many mfg's there are listed in the state!!

I looked at a Monaco Dynasty today and when i asked the salesman the same question he smiled and said good naturedly, "if you want to fly to Oregon I am sure they wouldn't mind a bit!

Thanks for the help on the stupid question. As I previously said, a Class A is a BIG step up from a pop up!
Old 06-08-2005, 04:13 PM   #7

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Cruzer:
Most RV mfgrs offer factory tours. If you time it so as to be when your coach is built you may get to see it on the line.
QUOTE]

Thanks guys! Nice looking rig you have! Think I will look up the floorplan!
Old 06-10-2005, 10:13 AM   #8

National RV in Perris CA alsos offers an eye opening factory tour. We bought first and toured after, but were pleased to learn we had made the right decision.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:52 AM   #9

Thanks folks for the advice!

I kinda thought these companies would be willing for you to inspect your rig while on the line.

From my research, it loooks like Indiana is RV Central when it comes to the RV mfg business (Class A, 5th wheel, TT's). One coach that we are seriously looking at is built in Oregon so that would be an interesting trip, should we go that route....
Old 06-14-2005, 12:46 PM   #10

We just did the Newmar tour yesterday. We`were very impressed at the work ethic and production procedures. If you are going on a tour make sure your not wearing open toe shoes or you will not be allowed in the plant.

2004 DSDP 3807, 370HP Spartan
tmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 11:43 AM   #11

I just took a tour of Western RVs Motorhome facility a couple of weeks ago. Very impressive tour, with a lot of great information and insight particularly in regards to their Peak chassis.

I would be very interested if they would let me do a couple of in-process inspections during the build of my next coach. Since a few steps were left off on the build of the current one, it may help to ensure I got the best product quality available if I participate.

As an Aerospace quality manager, I am quite used to incremental in-process inspections, I just hope the factory is not aware of this, as they may do what our suppliers do, and increase the price accordingly!

WeBrzn2 is offline   Reply With Quote