Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2011, 04:12 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Faded/Yellowed Headlight Restoration--Here's a Tip

Here is a tip for us who have tried to restore faded/yellowed headlights on our MH, Cars,Trucks, etc. with mixed or poor results. Next time, try this:
Use a cheap headlight restoration kit with the drill polishing adapter and stick-on pads. You may still have parts from your old kit or can use a buffing head for your drill. This time use liquid Permatex Fast Orange Hand Cleaner WITH PUMICE on the pad before starting and no water. Then when done, use a good plastic cleaner like simple green or "Awesome" cleaner to remove the residue. You may have to put alittle elbow grease with an old soft hand towel when removing the residue with the cleaner. This worked for me when the normal kit procedure didn't do so good.

Radarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2011, 07:11 PM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Send a message via ICQ to MaxTurner1
I used the McGuiress kit and got lousy results. I am going to try your trick. Thanks

MaxTurner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:26 PM   #3

Sanding with 2000 grit wet /dry sandpaper 1st then polish works great and it doesn't take as much time
Old 10-05-2011, 09:11 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Faded or yellowed headlights

I had (have) that problem on my 01 Jeep GJ. My garage guy tried a kit and it did not work. I tried another kit and it did not work. I then realized that the problem was on the inside of the headlight, not the outside. I found another set of headlights and had mine replaced. They had some of the same problem, but not as bad. My garage guy suggested I try those newer bright light bulbs. He replaced my high beam bulbs and the lights were better. Why didn't he replace the low beams ones ? I don't know. It would be a good thing for me to find out.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:51 AM   #5

I've had great luck with the 3M polish kit sold at Walmart. Costs under twenty bucks, has multiple levels of sanding disks that go on a drill including a polishing paste.

I've done three vehicles and they all look like new. Biggest tip is it takes time! You cannot rush the process, I spent about 30 minutes per headlight to get them right.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:22 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
I used the Rain-x restoration kit for under 20 bucks. Worked wonders on my car and RV. Its a three stage process that takes awhile, but the results are incredible.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:56 PM   #7

Tonight I used a three step Novus kit for scratch removal. Worked like a charm. Looks brand new in about 10-15 minutes work. No electric tools, just my elbow grease.
BarbRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:23 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just use a cleaner wax like Turtle Wax. It's worked great on every one I used it on.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:20 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonjm209 View Post
I had (have) that problem on my 01 Jeep GJ. My garage guy tried a kit and it did not work. I tried another kit and it did not work. I then realized that the problem was on the inside of the headlight, not the outside. I found another set of headlights and had mine replaced. They had some of the same problem, but not as bad. My garage guy suggested I try those newer bright light bulbs. He replaced my high beam bulbs and the lights were better. Why didn't he replace the low beams ones ? I don't know. It would be a good thing for me to find out.
I found a Brand new set of headlights for my 01 Jeep GC for $70 on ebay a couple of years back. This of course after i spent about $45 on so called head light restoation kits.
THe new ones work much better.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 04:31 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ok everyone this is how i do the headlights and it works great and have done many . The prolem lies with the uv coating on the outside of the lenses going south LOL!!!!! here are some pics of before fixing then during and then finished and ni its not the polishing of the lenses i sand of the flacking and yellowing uv coating and then clear them with a high quality automotive catalyzed urathane clear
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0521.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	274.1 KB
ID:	15404   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0522.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	275.0 KB
ID:	15405  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0526.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	306.4 KB
ID:	15406  
mavric65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 11:51 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
I just use metal polish with a rag. It has a fine abrasive and is perfect for plastic. Takes about 15 minutes and cost is pennies per cleaning with a $3 bottle of polish. Simple and cheap.
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:05 AM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Some time ago I bought a can of plastic polish from a army/navy/airforce surplus place for $1. It works great to polish any plastic including headlights or domes. Then I spray with 303 to help preserve it.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote